• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

What would you like to do with Traveller in 2017?

Spenser TR

SOC-12
Admin Award
It's the start of the new year - if things go perfectly for you, what are the things you'd like to accomplish, make happen, contribute to, tweak, explore, read, or start work on with Traveller?

Any version, any media, any expression. All resolutions discussed here are non-binding ^_^

For me: I'd like to keep up my current campaign ( MgT2, S3s in the Trojan Reach ) though it will certainly come to an end when I head back home in late February. I'd like to keep gaming by starting up a new campaign at home ( rules, setting, and theme undecided )... but the people I know back home are like a herd of cats.

I plan to be better at plinking away on the Wiki entries with guidance. I'd like to finish the first group of supplements I have been tinkering with forever and "get them out there," whatever -that- winds up meaning. At GenCon I'll run a session on creating Traveller characters. I'll participate more here and contribute positively to others exploring our past time. I'll add substantial entries to a Traveller blog I started a while ago.

In general I'd like to help increase Traveller visibility in a positive way, give back to the hobby, and learn and experience more with supplement design.

How about you? What are your Traveller plans for 2017?

Last edited:
For 2017, I would like to:

1. Finish writing and illustrating my three-part book, Zhevra's Dance.
1_Zhevra_s_Dance.jpg

2. I'd like MWM's license to publish the book as a Traveller novel.

3. I'd hope to finish developing Knoellighz Sector, putting it In Review by the T5 Second Survey.

4. I have my eyes set on writing a small, Exploration mission for Traveller into the 1105 developing, frontier system of Llizan (Knoellighz 0605). The system has 18 planetary bodies, the highest number in the Sector.

5. I think I'd like to run a Traveller game for a convention, a small one-shot over the weekend for Vargr fans set in Tuglikki and Gvurrdon Sectors.

6. I imagine that I will continue to draw and upload my Traveller artwork through the year.

7. Maybe, just maybe Referee for Traveller sometime this year. Big maybe.

It's the start of the new year - if things go perfectly for you, what are the things you'd like to accomplish, make happen, contribute to, tweak, explore, read, or start work on with Traveller?

Finally sit down and read my entire CT CD-ROM from alpha to omega. My problem is that I cherry-pick what I read out of it instead of systematically delving into it.

If I Have Time...

I'm currently running another game for a terrific group of players. But that game is on a break right now because my work load (writing) is heavy. (Another player is currently running another game, with a second player ready to pick up his Cyberpunk 2020 game that he started when I took some time off from running last year).

So, before I can run my Traveller material this year, I need to finish up my current game. And with luck, I'll be busy and just squeak my current game into play. We'll see how it goes!

But if I can get to Traveller this year, I would:
  1. Run one of the two subsctors I've been developing this past year using the original (Books 1-3) Traveller rules.
  2. This would entail building out at least a cluster of worlds (at least 10 or so) in one of these two subsectors
  3. Developing the worlds means sketching culture, factions, and adventure possibilities for each of the ten worlds in the clusters
  4. Develop Rumor Tables for the cluster
  5. Develop Rumor Tables for each world
  6. Develop NPC Encounter Tables for each world
  7. Develop Animal Encounter Tables for each world
  8. Develop the rest of the subsector around the cluster as required.
  9. Using the baseline assumptions of original Traveller play, the PCs will be outsiders to the environment, having mustered out and traveled to a subsector rich in adventure possibilities for them to purse and advance their situation with daring deeds and bold plans.

I'd gather up players and play...

I would prefer a Player driven game, where I hand the Players rumors for them to pursue as they wish. They can ignore the rumors if they desire and do whatever they want. But in a sandbox campaign, I have found offering a focus through rumors is helpful.

Whether it is a treasure to seek, a wrong to right, an NPC from the past the needs help, it allows them to decide what the priorities of their PCs will be. This in turn means I am not trying to hook them into what I want them to chase, but they are actively pursuing what they think is most important.

On the other hand, by offering them concrete kinds of rumors about the cluster they are starting it, their core knowledge about the setting will be focused on the worlds I've already developed. If the rumors from the Rumor Table are intriguing, mysterious, varied, and enticing in different ways as adventure possibilities they'll most likely be happy to gravitate toward at least one of the Rumors.

That's the dream. But, like I said, things are kind of busy already. We'll see how this year goes.

I definitely will continue to contribute to the Traveller Wiki on the "wrong" side of the galaxy with stuff on the Glimmerdrift Reaches and Crucis Margin sectors, maybe a bit of Gateway and Hinterworlds thrown in.

I'd like to see more FTF opportunities too, but those seem rare these days. :(

Sifu stops, thinks a bit...

I am transitional now, becoming a hermit so i can focus on writing and save money. So, by the rule of 3, my goals are...

1-complete my Traveller inspired novel and get it published!

2-finish my Athlete expanded character generation project

3-Join the Moot! I have been lurking in the shadow long enough.

Continue my work to uncover 'non-canon' material written during the first 10 years of the game (1977-1987), especially orphaned worlds and sub-sectors.

A worthy set of 2017 goals for Traveller I thought

I am very new at everything...Mongoose Rules...Traveller itself...even RPG...but I am going whole hog as a beginner and really getting excited.

(1) I'd like to learn enough in next 60 days of 2017 to be able to referee a scenario for friends.
(2) Once my character is developed for my own play I'd like to find an adventure online to participate in...
(3) I'd like to help promote more online play:CoW:

I'd like to get my Traveller tracking program good enough to get into the Windows store so that it can be used by other people (slow progress is being made).

I'd like to improve my refereeing - while my players say they are enjoying the game, I sometimes wonder if they are just being polite...

I'd like to figure out the balance between too much detail vs not enough for actual games.

Finally, just keep having fun actually playing Traveller and playing with Traveller!

another story. maybe gudak, pagaton, and lunion/strouden. but every time I think about it I remember, "oh, and that, and that, and THAT ...."

I plan on continuing to write iOS apps for Traveller, but the low hanging fruit is done so it'll be a bigger job and I'm sure I won't crank out 5 apps like I did in 2016.

Two things I find especially interesting so far:

The number of us here who enjoy writing new material ( supplements, fiction, whatever ) and would like to contribute overall in an substantial way, and the idea that many aren't playing now but would like to or hope to play at some point.

I have serious experience running other games in other systems and I'm sure these two kinds of aficionado exist for every game... but maybe they seem more vocal/numerous for Traveller. Or just here on CotI, maybe.

Hmmmmmmm

Or just here on CotI, maybe.

I've posted quite a few deckplans here. I frequently ask how often they are used in games, and not many have responded. of those that have said yes, they use them in games, most seldom or never post here otherwise.

In no particular order:

the further adventures of the crew of the merchant cruiser Bloodwell in my proto-Spinward Marches setting;

I have a rather nasty scenario set in my Culture interpretation where the players will have to deal with a zombie apocalypse - ok there is a lot more to it than that but that's the hook for this scenario;

revisit my 'long night' campaign and incorporate some elements from Coriolis - I want the players exploring the ruins of an ancient civilisation that they come to realise was an Imperium - but which one and just how advanced did the get TL wise?

run Mindjammer Traveller a couple of times and see which bits I am going to 'steal'

hello all! i'm about 2/3 through refereeing my first game of Traveller. I've got six buddies as players.

i'm running through The Linkworlds Cluster T20 campaign setting for story but using the MgT 2E ruleset. It's my (and 5/6 players) first experience playing Traveller. We're all having a blast! One of my buddies played CT in the 80s so he's having a nice nostalgia trip with us newbies.

in 2017 we'll probably be finishing up the main story of that book. I made a world in the Ley Sector and we'll be exploring that soon enough. Afterwards who knows!? It's a big galaxy out there...

First would be to get put together the basics of a Central Supply Catalogue that could be used with any version of Traveller, probably going up to Tech Level 9.

Second, get at least one complete subsector of my Science Fiction Sector, to the Rimward of the Solomani Sphere, complete and in publication.

Third, take some of the planets from the Science Fiction sector and put them in modified form on the Wiki as non-cononical material, to be used as the user sees fit. If for nothing else than inspiration.

Back