• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

What's your favorite Traveller Movie?

OK this is not a movie, but I have to mention Babylon 5 TV-series. It has been a huge influence in my Traveller campaigns. Mostly for the feel and storytelling qualities of the series, not so for the tech (which wasn't all that consistent).

The main alien races (species) were all interesting and had a lot of storytelling depth. I do not use any of them in IMTU, but I got a lot of ideas on how to run aliens, how their culture, religion, etc. can be involved in the campaign.

I absolutely love seeing Newtonian starfighter battles in B5, but the capital ship battles weren't quite so good (either the hulls were made of paper or the beams were super-powerful and of course the engagement ranges were very short). What B5 gave was an easy reference point to tell my players, who expect Star Wars-style space battles.

Indeed, B5 is about my favorite sci-fi series (tied with original Star Trek). One thing that I really liked about it was it's look. With half a million people on board not everything was spotless and covered in beige carpet. Down Below was as seedy and run down as any backwater starport or shanty town. Even up in the main areas, you could rub shoulders with the good and bad, each with thier own deals in the making. The space scenes were awesome too. From minor things to workmen to constant cargo transfers to the battles.
As for the battles I didn't have a problem with ships being fragile. Except for the Vorlon, no race had 'shields', relying on armor and countermeasures to save them...Like in Traveller
Regardless, it does put you in the mood, that's for sure

Originally posted by TJP:
OK this is not a movie, but I have to mention Babylon 5 TV-series.
Well, if we're going to get into TV shows, I'll add two of my favorites (other than B5); Farscape and Stargate SG1.

Farscape because if that crew isn't a Traveller party I don't know what is. Characterization is top notch, story is excellent, effects are brilliant. Viewing by a traveller fan is a requirement.

Stargate SG1 (and the movie Stargate) are another fine example of a Traveller party in action. A good cheezy action series. Wormholes, ancient artifacts, aliens who inhabit peoples body to control them, Giant warring emipires with the PCs caught between. What's not to like.

Many fine examples have already been given (I think Aliens about tops my list) so I'll just add 'The Abyss'. Much of it could be translated into a space adventure and the presence of a military special ops team is the kind of touch I like a great deal.

Here are some additions I have:

Lost in Space
Starship Troopers
The Fifth Element

And movies that could be converted to Traveller

Hard Rain (I always thought this could make a great Traveller adventure)
The Saint
Bad Boys
Lethal Weapon
Die Hard

Later,

Scout

Just in case anyone wanted a list to take to their video store, this is the list so far:

Supernova
Pitch Black
The Thing
Dark Star
Alien
Aliens
Moon Trap
Space Truckers
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Wreck of the Mary Deare
Vera Cruz
You Can't Win 'Em All
Destination Gobi
Hell or High Water
Blade Runner
Outland
Planet of the Apes
Akira
Forbidden Planet
Solaris
Gattica
Event Horizon
Android
Minority Report
Space 1999
UFO
Johnny Quest
Thunderbirds
Silent Running
Kelly's Heroes
Deep Rising
Predator
The Dogs Of War
The Sting
The Secret Life of Ian Fleming
Where Eagles Dare
The Road Warrior
Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone
Ice Pirates
Battle beyond the stars
Battlestar Galctica
Red Dwarf
Blake's 7
I come in peace
Critters 1-4
Spaced Invaders
Fortress
Babylon 5
Farscape
Stargate
Stargate SG1
The Abyss
Lost in Space
Starship Troopers
The Fifth Element
Hard Rain
The Saint
Bad Boys
Lethal Weapon
Die Hard

In addition to many of those already mentioned (RotLA, The Road Warrior, Aliens, Planet of the Apes, Spacehunter, Ice Pirates, Supernova, Starship Troopers, 2001, etc.):

</font>
  • Star Trek (original series)</font>
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan</font>
  • Barbarella</font>
  • Flash Gordon (1980 Mike Hodges movie version)</font>
  • Dr. Who (Tom Baker era)</font>
  • Buck Rogers (1980s tv series version)</font>
  • Star Wars</font>
  • The Empire Strikes Back</font>
  • Dune (1984 David Lynch movie version)</font>
  • Robotech</font>
  • Lifeforce</font>
  • Enemy Mine</font>
  • Buckaroo Banzai</font>
  • Lost in Space (original tv series)</font>
  • Robinson Crusoe on Mars</font>
  • Destination Moon</font>
  • The Black Hole</font>
  • The Last Starfighter</font>
  • The A-Team</font>
  • They Live</font>
Yes, to me Traveller is primarily the worst kind of cheesy '80s sci-fi, but then those WERE my formative childhood years...

do you know whats scary? i have read all the replys to this question, and i can say I HAVE SEEN ALL OF THESE!!! and the T.V. series - no wonder i just love traveller!! now how much soda
pop and popcorn does this add up to??????
BUUUURRRRRRRRRP/BEEEEELCH!!!!!!!

Sorry I haven't discovered this board sooner! But it's good to be back amongst fellow Travellers...

I'll add three more P.K.Dick movies good for Traveller settings...

Total Recall
Screamers
Imposter

I think I'm gonna like this board, been playing on and off since 1978! :D

No real Traveller movie for me, but the following are definitely must see for a traveller gamer:
Alien
Aliens
David Lynch's Dune
Outlands
Where Eagles Dare

Artikid

I forgot a non-travelleresque, but anyway great, movie:

Zardoz (with Sean Connery)

See it if you can!!!!!
:)Artikid

Originally posted by Blue Ghost:
Thanks. Another good Traveller flick is Aliens. Our group was playing "Aliens" type of Traveller long before Aliens was even conceived.
... ah, but "Aliens" is just "The Thing" (A Campbell story) in space, and A.E. Van Vogt beat the latter by several years... just goes to show there's nothing new under what ever sun you're orbiting.

One movie I saw a very long time ago, called Moon Zero Two, is one of the most Travellerish (is that an actual word?) movies I've ever seen. It all takes place in a sealed hab lunar colony. IIRC, the primary purpose of the colony was for mining, but it also served as a waystation for further stellar expansion. I've been looking for it ontape for a good while, but I've not found a copy. If anyone here comes across one, please give me a shout.

Simon Jester

One movie I saw a very long time ago, called Moon Zero Two, is one of the most Travellerish (is that an actual word?) movies I've ever seen. It all takes place in a sealed hab lunar colony. IIRC, the primary purpose of the colony was for mining, but it also served as a waystation for further stellar expansion. I've been looking for it ontape for a good while, but I've not found a copy. If anyone here comes across one, please give me a shout.

Well I dunno if this movie is Travellerish but Enemy Mine was good sci-fi and from at least what I've heard about Traveller its potentially Travellerish it was a good movie

P.S My knowledge on Traveller is limited so please be kind

Originally posted by solomani_interloper:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Blue Ghost:
Thanks. Another good Traveller flick is Aliens. Our group was playing "Aliens" type of Traveller long before Aliens was even conceived.
... ah, but "Aliens" is just "The Thing" (A Campbell story) in space, and A.E. Van Vogt beat the latter by several years... just goes to show there's nothing new under what ever sun you're orbiting.</font>[/QUOTE]Point well taken

Somebody might've mentioned this one, but "Outland" staring Sean Connery is another good one.

<<<... ah, but "Aliens" is just "The Thing" A Campbell story in space, and A.E. Van Vogt beat the latter by several years... just goes to show there's nothing new under what ever sun you're orbiting.>>>

I thought "Alien" was more like "The Thing" and "Aliens" was like Starship Troopers - the book, not the movie. When I read Starship Troopers the first time, that's what came to mind was "Aliens"

Later,

Scout
Jonesin' badly for T20 to be released.

Originally posted by Blue Ghost:
Somebody might've mentioned this one, but "Outland" staring Sean Connery is another good one.
but then "Outland" is just "High Noon" - good film tho (and a lot of Traveller campaigns do end up more wild frontier than high frontier)

Originally posted by Knightsky:
There is an anime called Cowboy Bebop which is *very* traveller-esque.
Cowboy Bebop is not particularly traveller-esque as the setting is way too different in my opinion. But, any CB story could be converted into a Traveller adventure with minimal use of imagination. This comes useful every once in a while when you really don't have time to cook up a proper adventure for the group.

Movie closest to my Traveller campaign?

Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas.

"We were somewhere around Algorab on the edge of the rift when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like 'I feel a bit lightheaded. Maybe you should take the helm.' And suddenly, there was a terrible EM white-out around us and the PEMS holo was full of what looked like huge droyne ships, all swooping and screeching around our scout on some weird flickering jump fields... And a voice was screaming 'Holy Elvis! What are these goddamn aliens?"

A kind of interesting one is "Light Years," a French animated sci-fi flick based on a story by Asimov, I think.

Back