• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

What's your favorite Traveller Movie?

Originally posted by far-trader:
I think Garf missed at least one action flick and Paraquat Johnson's point about trading the Die Hard building for a passenger liner (starship). Ya see Speed 2 was a passenger liner hijacked, with a bomb that would go off if the ship slowed. So George Boyett has most of his plot already outlined (but if I was one of his player's I'd hope he could disguise/alter it enough to not make me immediately think Speed 2
Except in Die Hard, it was a high-end robbery disguised as a terrorist hostage situation. Just the original plot would work in Traveller. I would have the PC(s) as the unknown factor that messes up the gang's scheme.

If I had a group that was talented and skilled as the one in Die Hard that tried to pull the heist. Or better have one or two PC(s) do "Bruce Willis" character so the adventure is PCs vs PCs & NPCs SWAT Teams. :D

Maybe a slight change in my first message is in order. I forgot about Speed 2 as I never saw the movie.
:rolleyes:

annnd for the adventure indy jones types digging around in ruins searching for treasure, there's:

Indy Jones 1-??
FireWalker?? (Think that's the title. Chuck Norris, louis Gosset Jr, and a few others. Probably in the comedy or action spots. Good old movie though)
Romancing the stone
Spies like us

(If you can't tell, I enjoy humor in my games)

RV

Two of the best merc movies made are 'The Wild Geese" from the late 1970's With Richard Burton, Richard Harris and Roger Moore. Mercs to change dictators in a country, betrayed and have to fight their way out.
"Dogs of War" with Christopher Walken, similar plot.
Add alien planet change the weapons there you go!

"He who dares Wins" SAS

I get ideas for a lot of sources, including movies, newspapers, and so on. Just alter the facts a little and add some technology, and presto...

No less than Marc Miller did for the whole place anyway.

I'll be you can find parallels for Miller's sweep of history. In real world history. And anyone who names his Emporers after the characters in a Gilbert and Sulivan play is just too cool.

Garf.

Some other movies:

Three Kings - Military heist during a cease fire
Solaris - though you may want to pick up the pace a bit.
No Man's Land - keeping the peace on a balkanized world
The Third Man - Film noir
The Guns of Navarone - Crack mercenary team to disable a meson gun installation.
The Day of the Jackal - Computers would speed things up but if they are on different worlds then events would be paced more properly.
Ice Station Zebra - MacGuffin on an ice world.
Three Days of the Condor - Paranoia movie... Great start for a game.

Back