• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

What's your favorite Traveller Movie?

So glad to see "Dark Star" made the list. A favorite of mine. Surprised to see that no one had mentionned "Zone Troopers" or "Hell Comes To Frogtown" yet, so I will. Thank Rowdy Roddy Piper of "They Live" fame for the latter. None of these being seminal works, but a contribution nonetheless.

Have a better one.

Pretty good list so far.

Here are some I don't think have been mentioned yet. Apologies if they have and I missed them:

The Arrival
Titan A.E.
Planet of the Apes
Dark City
Krull
Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared Syn
Silent Running
Saturn 3

Hi, my first post with this group.

Good list of viewing so far, One of my
favourites is a '50s B Movie monsterflick
called 'THEM!'

I ran it as a one-off game at a convention
many years ago, Giant ants running wild on
a TL5 planet. A 'chamax plague' type of
game.

I agree about 'OUTLAND' THE traveller film.

I'm not much of an anime fan, but by far the most Traveller-esque movie to me is "The Wings of Honneamise" - it's a completely alternate human culture in their own quest to put a man into space. I often think of that movie as being the history of a human minor race, years before contact.

Check it out, it's considered by all to be one of the 10 best anime movies of all times, and considered by many to be the best.

Originally posted by Rodina:
I'm not much of an anime fan, but by far the most Traveller-esque movie to me is "The Wings of Honneamise" - it's a completely alternate human culture in their own quest to put a man into space. I often think of that movie as being the history of a human minor race, years before contact.

Check it out, it's considered by all to be one of the 10 best anime movies of all times, and considered by many to be the best.
How about "Macross" (remade as Robotech in the US) for the SDF, a "super happy fun ball" if every I saw one.

Not a movie, but the series "Andromeda", whose author seems to have swallowed an Imperial Encyclopedia, what with the "High Guard" being the navy of the Commonwealth, sliding into a "Long Night" caused by the Nietzscheans/ Solomani, fighting with KKM's (Kinetic Kill Missiles) and a purple Aslan female!

Bryn

I liked "Soldier" 1998 Kurt Russell. Guns, Starships, Armored Vehicles, Planet Buster Bombs, Butt kicking action and a hot "recent" widow. What else is there?

Thomas :D

MINORITY REPORT was a nice look into Zhodani society.

Agreed that OUTLAND is the quintessential Traveller movie, though. Right down to the use of shotguns and other projectile weapons as the firearms of choice.

The ALIEN films, especially ALIENS, have been a source of inspiration for decades. STARSHIP TROOPERS is the ultimate inspiration for military campaigns with ALIENS a close second.

STAR WARS of course, but the lack of hard science in the films makes it hard to translate into Traveller very easily. I can't tell you how many bounty hunters were inspired by Boba Fett in my old early 80's CT campaigns, though!

Other films depicting urban action are also inspiring: THE PROFESSIONAL and HEAT come to mind.
omega.gif

Reading this thread, I had a weird thought: The Harry Potter movie. Imagine that instead of a magic academy, it was a Psi Institute and the kids all went there to learn how to use their psionic powers. It's hidden from the "muggles" (non-psionics), who don't know it exists. Might make an interesting campaign.

I think "caper" movies offer good examples of Traveller adventures.

Mission: Impossible 1 and 2
Entrapment
Ocean's Eleven
Heist
Sneakers
The Score
Killing Zoe
Rififi
To Catch a Thief
The Thomas Crowne Affair
Heat

Wow. I think you've covered all the bases. Gosh even Anime. BTW Anime NOT =Sailer Moon/Pokeman. Anime covers as broad a selection of styles and subjects and treatments as Hollywood, the b-movie industry and maybe even Sundance put together.

on that note one Anime worth finding (I think ADVision releases it in the US and Canada) is Mighty Space Miner. It would make a excellant treatment of a tech 8-9 belter colony. As well as being fun in it's own right.
(BTW Cowboy Bebop is pretty jazzy hip but... I personally don't think it's 'Traveller' still worth watching though.)

And I must add my vote to those suggesting OUTLAND as THE Traveller movie. The dirty baseball cap look is exactly the image I got of traveller from reading short stories and rules mods in Dragon magasine. It was the use of the shotgun in that movie and in the novelization. (in the book they were hight tech products with dial up power and shot spread settings.) That inspired my own continuing appreciation for shotguns as part of the wise Traveler's Ship's Locker.

I'm impressed at the selection so far expressed and will have to check out some of the ones I haven't seen.

And to Whomever chose Kelly's Heroes... Dang straight that's a party of PC's.

Garf.

Originally posted by Shadowdancer:
Reading this thread, I had a weird thought: The Harry Potter movie. Imagine that instead of a magic academy, it was a Psi Institute and the kids all went there to learn how to use their psionic powers. It's hidden from the "muggles" (non-psionics), who don't know it exists. Might make an interesting campaign.
My same thought when I read the books (Yes, I did read them. :eek: ) and saw the movie. My take on Platform 9 1/2 they were using a teleportal to a pocket universe. Yes I know that a pocket universe should have no true nighttime, but maybe this was not a normal pocket universe.

In the fourth book Hogwarts is visited by students from three other schools. I figure each school has a pocket universe. Just like in the book, each school don't know the exact locations of the other.

Originally posted by Paraquat Johnson:
I think "caper" movies offer good examples of Traveller adventures.

Mission: Impossible 1 and 2
Entrapment
Ocean's Eleven
Heist
Sneakers
The Score
Killing Zoe
Rififi
To Catch a Thief
The Thomas Crowne Affair
Heat
Sneakers a definite.

Outland - A big Traveller movie

Red Dwarf - Not much Traveller, but it does remind me of several gaming sessions.

Die Hard (First Movie) - Replace the building with a large passenger liner. It's one or two players, with little or no equipment, trying to stop a hijacking.

i saw Silent Running again last nite, with Bruce Dern. could be a solo adventure? tweek it?? matter of fact it was basicly a solo movie, right?? or does hewey dewey and louie count as people??? hmmmm maybe so after a year in space by yourself. comments??
;)

Originally posted by George Boyett:
Die Hard (First Movie) - Replace the building with a large passenger liner. It's one or two players, with little or no equipment, trying to stop a hijacking.[/QB]
You mean Speed (Second Movie)?

First was an Allan Rickman as 'Hans Gruber' holding a building hostage.
A guote "I think we're gonna need more FBI guys."

Die Hard Two - had a sort of two dimensional evil Ollie North and a 'South American Dictator' who looked like a clone of young Castro, taking over an airport and holding the orbiting aircraft hostage.
Favourite scene, The 21 second fuse Nucleor hand grenades and Brucie boy's esecape via ejection seat.

Die Hard Three - was a relative of Hans Gruber stealing a bunch of Gold from the heart of New York and plotting revenge against Bruce Willis's character for the death of 'Hans' with an elborate 'mad bomber' ruse. Features a Team up with Samuel Jackson.
"No. Not hey-zus(Jesus) but HEY Zeus! Zeus! as in the greek god who'll put a lightning bolt up your a$$! Zeus!"

Garf.

PS - you know I think I watch WAAAAY too many action flicks.

Movies to think about.
Shout at the Devil, African natives replaced by whatever low tech race on a border world. The guys, Lee Marvin and Rodger Moore are about as Travelleresqe as you can get in this flick.

The Beast, 1980s Afghanistan, Russian tank crew. Make them a merc unit and you have quite the 10 little indians senario.

Outland definately has the look, but it lacks in suprise.

Dark Star, an old favorite, just no beating an intellegent thermonuclear device that just wants to function as designed.

Space Truckers is right on the money as how corporations deal with people.
----------------------------
In the end, Murphy will rule

I think Garf missed at least one action flick and Paraquat Johnson's point about trading the Die Hard building for a passenger liner (starship). Ya see Speed 2 was a passenger liner hijacked, with a bomb that would go off if the ship slowed. So George Boyett has most of his plot already outlined (but if I was one of his player's I'd hope he could disguise/alter it enough to not make me immediately think Speed 2

OOPS I did indeed miss the point. though Speed 2 was very bad from what little I caught of it on tv. (then the Die Hard sequels weren't exactly great).

Hmmm actually Die Hard on a passenger liner wouldn't be speed 2. I don't think...

very different flavour. Speed was serious with funny moments. Die Hard was funny/flip pretending at seriousness.

Speed was a single madman with a bomb.

Die Hard was a Terrorist with delusions of being Daniel Ocean.

Garf.

Originally posted by Paraquat Johnson:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by George Boyett:
Die Hard (First Movie) - Replace the building with a large passenger liner. It's one or two players, with little or no equipment, trying to stop a hijacking.
You mean Speed (Second Movie)?
[/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]No, the first Die Hard movie. I didn't see Speed 2, but from the adverts it does have a possible travelleresque (sp) feel.

Back