• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General Who's Running or Playing in a TL-13+ game?

And if you fly high enough.
Orbiting ≠ Flying. Physics involved very different. Even in the age of gravitics, they're still going to be distinct, since orbiting is long term stable in ways flying ain't.

And that orbital? it's clear from the .gif that it's not capped.
Since individual trees are visible it's maybe 50 trees tall; let's assume trees in the typical PNW size of 20-25m .That gives maybe 1km altitude. Either it's spinning at about 100 gees, or it holds a trace or low-end Very Thin atmosphere... and that water should be boiling at that point. so, given the density of air, That place must be squishing everyone there... or there's some other tech involved.

Maybe there some form of plasma air blower that maintains pressure (and atmosphere), in preference to describing it as an energy shield.

Implication would be a more sophisticated life support system than we enjoy in Traveller.

A side question.
What does a TL13 society look like? How do people go about their lives? What paradigm shift have there been?
When describing it I try to use Tv series something like this, you will spot the issue
TL8 - near future super spy
TL9 - the Expanse
TL10 - Babylon 5 Earth Alliance
TL11 - Babylon 5 - Centauri/Narn
TL12 - Babylon 5 - Minbari
TL13 - Foundation
TL14 - ?
TL15 - ?

There was a great article at Freelance Traveller, "Traveller for the 21st Century" by John Snead - I can't remember the policy on links, but I just checked and it's still there. Alternately it's from Issue #11 of the PDFs.

D.

What I really like about this article is that it talks about (and gives examples of) how day-to-day life changes as tech level increases, but also provides examples of technology and how it changes. I have essentially adopted it whole cloth into my campaign.

D.
The references to extended lifespans are something I find interesting. If PCs effectively ended aging at 30-36, and aging rolls weren't required until a much later time (100-120 depending on TL of treatment), then PCs could exit their career and begin an 'adventurer' career, for additional skills, after finishing up with their formal time in service or some sort. Has anyone done anything like this?

Yup, for a long time now I have allowed a TL bonus to aging rolls and as many careers as you want...
Single-career character generation is partly an artifact of when it was written (one could have an entire career with a single employer back then), and partly a simplification so player characters could complete chargen with a viable set of skills while still being young enough at the end of the process that the players could relate to them.

I don’t do TL aging mods under the theory of highly dangerous/wearing damage of our Travellers dangerous space jobs.

MAYBE nobles, bureaucrats and doctors get them. Everyone else is eating rads, bullets, vacuum, beast bites, exotic alien diseases, etc.

I don’t do TL aging mods under the theory of highly dangerous/wearing damage of our Travellers dangerous space jobs.

MAYBE nobles, bureaucrats and doctors get them. Everyone else is eating rads, bullets, vacuum, beast bites, exotic alien diseases, etc.

Perhaps particular careers would get a negative aging DM per certain number of terms of service?

The dangers of service are already baked into the survival rolls. If you survive your career pitfalls then TL13+ medical technology is going to keep you "young and fit" far longer than TL7 medicine - even if they have to clone you a new body :)

The dangers of service are already baked into the survival rolls. If you survive your career pitfalls then TL13+ medical technology is going to keep you "young and fit" far longer than TL7 medicine - even if they have to clone you a new body :)
Not unreasonable, but I would counter with they seem not to have made low berths safe or at least recoverable, just how good are they?

So how does TL13 cloning change the society from a TL12 one?
Do people own clones?
Are clones used in place of robots?
Are clones harvested for organ replacement?

I'd take twins as a jumping off point. One, identical twins more often than not like each other, and like spending time around each other. You'd probably see most clone lines looking at each other as younger/older siblings, and generally looking out for each other. Or sometimes parents cloning themselves to have children, so a parent-child relationship with maybe a dose of narcissism in some of those.

Two, identical twins separated at birth end up in the same careers, not all the time but much more often than they should by random chance. So there's evidently some genetic factor to career choice or career success. I can easily see clone lines getting typecast, perhaps correctly, into certain jobs. After the first few have some success in something whoever's doing the hiring might take notice, and the first in could act as mentors for the rest. So you could end up with firefighter models, ship's engineer models, surgeon models and more, even without them all being deliberately engineered for it.

Then, are we talking about cloning being very common but a lot of one offs, or a runaway effect of a few large clone lines all making clones of themselves? If the latter, personality types would probably become common knowledge. Stereotypes, but true and useful ones, if occasionally still taken too far.

I think clones would have full human rights, at least nominally. By the time you get full cloning without errors (the without errors part is the part that's surprisingly hard today, otherwise we'd have it), you've already had in vitro fertilization, genetic checking for errors, probably genetic editing for errors or for desired traits. And the first people likely to clone are likely to consider themselves "parents."

Underground and illegally, organ harvesting would still be tempting. Perhaps followed later by full on, I Will Fear No Evil brain transplants. Who doesn't want to live forever? Might be an adventure seed in that, get hired to rescue someone or break up an operation.

As for TL 9 flying cities? The gravitics are not stable enough, reliable enough, durable enough, or some other key metric enough.

Except for the expense of getting there and setting up, we've got the tech to build floating cities on Venus today. A dirigible filled with a breathable nitrogen-oxygen mix will float at a manageable temperature and pressure, and get almost as good atmospheric protection from radiation as we do on earth. Make it large enough and live on the bottom, probably with engines and equipment underneath for ballast, and you're good. It also needs sealed against sulfuric acid, but that's doable as well. All elements required for agriculture are available in the atmosphere, so they could be self-sustaining without trying to get to the surface. No gravitics required.

Of course it's not clear what else they'd do besides be self-sustaining. So taking tech level as "this is what's cheap, easy and practical" you might be right.

Still, I like knowing about things like this for world building. I can easily see a higher TL culture planting some non-gravitic floating cities in dense atmosphere planets, either for robustness if the supporting supply chain is broken, to be cheap while establishing a claim, or because it's some private breakaway group doing it out of their own pocket.

Back