• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

World Map generator for T5

It's a great start! Something that's been needed for a long time. Love taht you are able to draw data from Travellermap.com.

One suggestion, output the scale of the map so that we know the distance of each hex based on world size.

Ojno, this is fantastic.

I was thinking that the blue should be paler -- mainly because I'm thinking of the deep contrast it presents when printed or in a PDF document. Also I'm biased towards the color maps in the LBB adventures, and they do have a rather pale blue.

Any thoughts on that?

Ojno, this is fantastic.

I was thinking that the blue should be paler -- mainly because I'm thinking of the deep contrast it presents when printed or in a PDF document. Also I'm biased towards the color maps in the LBB adventures, and they do have a rather pale blue.

Any thoughts on that?

Feedback on design choices is precisely what I would like! Yes, more than happy to put a paler shade of blue. What I'd really like is three shades of blue: one for Ocean, one for Ocean Depths, one for Ocean Abyss; would mind terribly if you used an HTML colour picker to recommend shades? I'll experiment at my end too.

Also, thanks Rob for the words of encouragement. Craig has also been warm with his praise on the Personals cards.

On scale, I figure it is easy as well, but no harm in including one. My geography teacher said to always include a scale on maps!

Love it. Ice caps a little hard to see in the lower hexes.

TL worlds now show TZ as side bands rather than top band - a change in T5 I guess.

Can you make a version that can be consistent with LBB6? (ducks)

Along the line if you could somehow use the orbit diagrams from T5 - corrected - (J,H&K?) to display the worlds in relative positions and the stars, in simple 2d form that would be knee-tremblng.

:)

regards

Onjo, I was attempting to generate a random map for Farreach/Spinward Marches and the script locked up every time I left the RNG blank. When I set it to 1 it worked fine but any other value and it locks.

Also, on the wish list could you add a button to generate a new random number rather than having to select and delete the previous random number manually?

I look forward to your continuing work on the project, it's fantastic.

Love it. Ice caps a little hard to see in the lower hexes.

TL worlds now show TZ as side bands rather than top band - a change in T5 I guess.

Can you make a version that can be consistent with LBB6? (ducks)

Along the line if you could somehow use the orbit diagrams from T5 - corrected - (J,H&K?) to display the worlds in relative positions and the stars, in simple 2d form that would be knee-tremblng.

:)

regards

Yeah, TZ uses T5 rules-as-written. I think it is done that way to make it easy to impose the baked and frozen sides over the previous work done on the map.

I have not yet started on system generation but it is coming. I am currently working on World Hex maps. When you click on any world hex it will generate a map of that hex. Eventually you will be able to produce a cascade of maps down to a local hex.

Onjo, I was attempting to generate a random map for Farreach/Spinward Marches and the script locked up every time I left the RNG blank. When I set it to 1 it worked fine but any other value and it locks.

Also, on the wish list could you add a button to generate a new random number rather than having to select and delete the previous random number manually?

I look forward to your continuing work on the project, it's fantastic.

There are two sources of the script locking which are difficult to solve. Small worlds with high oceans, and Hi Pop worlds where Pop is 10 or more. The former I solved by switching algorithms and the latter remains unsolved. It is caused by the placement of Rural terrain within Pop hexes of each city. Pop cities are placed. To get around this problem, deleting the seed is not enough. You need to refresh the page and then clear the seed before trying again. I have found in extreme cases that you need to do this several times before it works.

Happy to provide a "I like not this seed. BRING ME ANOTHER SEED!" option.

Looking forward to the mods.

Is there a possibility of an alternate set of symbols which are less "0ut there" than the T5 ones, or do I just need to "get with the programme"? :)

regards

LOL. Sort of.

I am open to ideas, but scripting each symbol is time consuming. I've gone with the T5 symbols because that's what's in the rulebook and as far as possible I'm scripting the rules-as-written.

Ojno, I just found this and it is simply amazing. I've been playing with it for the last hour and I can't believe how user friendly it is.

Thank you for putting this together!

Thanks MajorB. That means a lot coming from someone with a great mind for design in gameplay as yourself. I remember your MT troop / assault carriers with much affection.

Update to mapping generator

Link to page on members.ozemail.com.au

An exciting update: World Hex Maps now implemented. Not all features have been implemented: I am still working on Chasm / Precipice Lines and the half-hex requirements for Twilight Zone half-hexes. But there is enough that is done that I wanted to show it!

Last edited by a moderator:
New update: Chasms and Precipices now mapped in World Hex Maps.

Link in my signature.

Remember you can generate as many World Hex maps as you like just by clicking on any World Hex on the World Map.

Another update has been posted - link is in my signature.

This update represents the completion of implementing World Hex maps. Where necessary, neighbouring terrain such as oceans and ice-caps encroaches onto the relevant edge of the World Hex giving more crinkly coast-lines and ice-cap edges.

The code has also been rationalised to reduce the number of do..while loops, hopefully speeding up the code.

Before moving onto standardising random generator seeds and exposing the API, I want to implement a faster random number generator to enable larger maps.

What's your current PRNG (random number generator)?

Burtle has one that's supposedly fast. I use it because it's small but 'good'. I have versions of it in JavaScript, Perl, and Java.

http://burtleburtle.net/bob/rand/smallprng.html

This is a small fast pseudorandom number generator, suitable for large statistical calculations, but not of cryptographic quality. Although there is no guaranteed minimum cycle length, the average cycle length is expected to be about 2^126 results.

Code:
The fastest small unbiased noncryptographic PRNG that I could find (in C)

typedef unsigned long int  u4;
typedef struct ranctx { u4 a; u4 b; u4 c; u4 d; } ranctx;

#define rot(x,k) (((x)<<(k))|((x)>>(32-(k))))
u4 ranval( ranctx *x ) {
    u4 e = x->a - rot(x->b, 27);
    x->a = x->b ^ rot(x->c, 17);
    x->b = x->c + x->d;
    x->c = x->d + e;
    x->d = e + x->a;
    return x->d;
}

void raninit( ranctx *x, u4 seed ) {
    u4 i;
    x->a = 0xf1ea5eed, x->b = x->c = x->d = seed;
    for (i=0; i<20; ++i) {
        (void)ranval(x);
    }
}

I have not found any test in any configuration that it does not pass. It passes DIEHARD. Sampling just the bottom byte, it passes the run test (both up and down), and the gap test (for gaps up to length 32) for 2 trillion values (chi.c). The frequency test (again on the bottom byte) looked suspicious at 1 trillion values (chi-square=5), so I ran it for 4 trillion values (chi-square=0.42), showing the earlier result was a fluke (freq.c). A test that counts bits per value for five consecutive values (countx.c) passes for at least 16 trillion values, both for normal and for graycoded values. It passes Geronimo Jones' nda test for at least 1 trillion values (4 trillion bytes).

Back