• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General Would you redesign the Patrol Cruiser?

Spinward Scout

SOC-14 5K
I might have asked this before...

A while back, someone redesigned the Scout/Courier to have better access to the cargo hold and make the interior a little better.

I'm wondering if the same thing should be done with the Patrol Cruiser?

Anyone else think the front could use a redesign?

Type T Deckplans, Fixed (CotI thread by Your Humble Correspondent; thread includes 1"=3m plans with explanations.)
t-poster-jpg.2936

EDIT: Looks like we posted simultaneously!

That was the "build thread" where I worked out what ended up as the "final design" thread linked in my simul-post.
Glad you remembered it!

EDIT 2-3: And you had some nearly-complete alternates in there as well.
(As did SpinFlow, and Rigel Stardin, among others -- but they're not online at the moment so I'll catch up with them later, or vice versa. :) )

Last edited:
I might have asked this before...

A while back, someone redesigned the Scout/Courier to have better access to the cargo hold and make the interior a little better.

I'm wondering if the same thing should be done with the Patrol Cruiser?

Anyone else think the front could use a redesign?
I would start with a clean sheet of paper … it is one of the least attractive ships in my opinion (which is just my opinion).

it is one of the least attractive ships in my opinion (which is just my opinion).

Well, I've always seen it not as a player's ship (as you say, not attractive as such), but as an opponent ship. A tool for the referee to keep players on line, so to say.

It's powerful enough as to deterre most players' ships without resorting to IN behemooths

Of couse, that's my view of it, not holy writ, and YMMV

Well, I've always seen it not as a player's ship (as you say, not attractive as such), but as an opponent ship. A tool for the referee to keep players on line, so to say.

It's powerful enough as to deter most players' ships without resorting to IN behemoths

Of course, that's my view of it, not holy writ, and YMMV
No, I agree with most of that. Just to be clear, I have no problem with the stats (lots of ships could be improved) … it is the basic exterior image in The Traveller Book (my first introduction to Traveller) that I find ugly. New deckplans will not change that.

I like dragonflies, so I think this is a case of beauty being in the eye of the beholder.
I agree. I dislike the look but recognize that there is NOTHING objective about my opinions ... just my personal preference. It reminds me of the T4 artwork and how people LOVED and HATED the Foss Artwork as "the best starships ever" ... or "that's not Traveller".

Strictly personal preferences.

There is a long tradition of "bug eyes". Remember the blisters on the PBY Flying Boat? Remember that old Matchbox with dual bug-eyed canopies?

I just find it too "aircraft" for a Spacecraft in IMTU (like the X-Wing fighters of Star Wars).

Back