• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General Would you redesign the Patrol Cruiser?

0fac9973113387fff90fac0f80e7663b.jpg

What's the purpose of a patrol cruiser? What sort of period does it have to be autonomous? Does it have to be atmospheric or not? What sort of enemies is it expected to deal with? Does it operate alone or in a squadron?

The Type T is to the (colonial) navy what the Type S is to the IISS: The last mile, the fingertips of the mailed arm of the Imperium. Dispersed power. Naval Scouts. Coast Guards. Interstellar Squad Car.
Low tech, cheap, everywhere.

It would be pointless to operate them in squadrons, a larger ship would be much more capable.

Its combat value is next to nil, it can't really intimidate anything more substantial than a Subbie. Its job is not to fight, but to show the flag and poke around.

Mechanically: With a squad of troops, smallcraft, and GCarrier it can harass most adventurers anywhere, anytime.

The Type T is to the (colonial) navy what the Type S is to the IISS: The last mile, the fingertips of the mailed arm of the Imperium. Dispersed power. Naval Scouts. Coast Guards. Interstellar Squad Car.
Low tech, cheap, everywhere.

It would be pointless to operate them in squadrons, a larger ship would be much more capable.

Its combat value is next to nil, it can't really intimidate anything more substantial than a Subbie. Its job is not to fight, but to show the flag and poke around.

Mechanically: With a squad of troops, smallcraft, and GCarrier it can harass most adventurers anywhere, anytime.
Mission wise, similar to the Revenue Cutter of the 1700's ... I would think. Something to board and inspect Merchant Ships and small enough to have one assigned to every C+ Starport.

Mission wise, similar to the Revenue Cutter of the 1700's ... I would think. Something to board and inspect Merchant Ships and small enough to have one assigned to every C+ Starport.
If you are just going to park it in orbit over a starport, an SDB would be cheaper and better, I believe.

The point of a patrol ship is that it moves, and pokes around where not expected. Assign a bunch per subsector, or so...

The Type-T has the range (J-3) to do patrol work outside of the Mains. Maybe assign a ship or two per subsector for flag showing, smuggling and piracy suppression. These would be more like Coast Guard Cutters then Navy Warships. Have them show up on random visits so not to establish a pattern.

If you are just going to park it in orbit over a starport, an SDB would be cheaper and better, I believe.

The point of a patrol ship is that it moves, and pokes around where not expected. Assign a bunch per subsector, or so...
It's only real difference is a Jump Drive. Otherwise it's pretty close to an SDB.

It's only real difference is a Jump Drive. Otherwise it's pretty close to an SDB.
I never thought of SDB as a ship that was used all the time. It was more a warship that was kept in reserve or placed in hiding in case of war. I guess there is no reason that they couldn't be used as a in system patrol craft. But not having a small craft and a large enough crew for VBSS duties would limit their use.

We discussed the SDB and Patrol Cruiser a bit here:

Back