• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Yes, another "Impressions and Questions" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the buying public rejects it, the design is worthless.

A designer's task is to design something that others will play and use.

That's more the business man's task. Marc's a brilliant game designer. His business skills . . . well, let's be generous and say that when the two skill sets conflict, he always lets the designer's priorities come first, and the business priorities second.

There are understandable reasons, but he desperately needs a professional editor with game design experience.

That's more the business man's task. Marc's a brilliant game designer. His business skills . . .
There are understandable reasons, but he desperately needs a professional editor with game design experience.

Agreed on both counts. Perhaps that was part of Andrew's role.

Agreed on both counts. Perhaps that was part of Andrew's role.

From the designer's notes for GDW, that was Loren's task.

Andrew Kieth was one of Marc's players.

Andrew Boulton was doing mostly art from what I can tell.

The person with the most direct impact is one of Robject or DonM, maybe Greg Lee. Namely, the people who hang out with Marc.

Technically, Andrew was volunteering for QLI, and did some art for QLI, I don't know if he did any for FFE. Most of the people in the credits were contributors to prior editions.

FFE is essentially just Marc and some volunteers (Robject, DonM, myself, Thomas Jones-Lo)

Technically, Andrew was volunteering for QLI, and did some art for QLI, I don't know if he did any for FFE. Most of the people in the credits were contributors to prior editions.

FFE is essentially just Marc and some volunteers (Robject, DonM, myself, Thomas Jones-Lo)

The archdukes. Yes, I understand the volunteer (and appreciate) those that worked through it with Marc.

Andrew did the cover for the CD, and I think was working on a couple other things for T5.

I'm thinking back to the kickstarter updates. I'm too busy on a Sunday morning to look it up, but Marc mentioned Andrew's loss as one of the reasons for delay. I'd admit, I thought he meant Andrew was a reviewer because the majority of art should have been . Having a new artist is a reasonable delay.

Which client state DonM? If I may ask. That may be a very wise choice. Keeps you out of the internal squabbles of the Imperium.

I assumed he was also going to do the virtual wall with everyone's names ... which I'm guessing is now off.

Marc really felt like this one he could not do without Andrew. I should ask what will happen with that project...

Not if that 700 page book is

I think that is the issue right there. There is no way I would want to buy a 700 page book of anything, let alone rules for a game where most of it will be mediated between players and a referee. Classic Traveller worked really well, Traveller 5 should be roughly the same size as Classic Traveller, or as the Mongoose Core Rulebook and no larger. I am sure Marc had a lot of fun going into all those rules for years on end. But the fact is nobody other than a couple of people on this forum want them.

Before doing any errata, before revising a thing, Marc most importantly needs to send the whole thing to a very good editor and give him authority to cut the whole book down by at least 75%. Then and only then should it be revised and 'fixed'.

If that isnt done sorting out the errata wont do a thing to sort out this broken system and make it playable. So I dont know why there is all this concentration on the putting all the errata into the book? Its just folly.

Before doing any errata, before revising a thing, Marc most importantly needs to send the whole thing to a very good editor and give him authority to cut the whole book down by at least 75%. Then and only then should it be revised and 'fixed'.

If that isnt done sorting out the errata wont do a thing to sort out this broken system and make it playable. So I dont know why there is all this concentration on the putting all the errata into the book? Its just folly.

Considering the number of people who now have T5, either through the Kickstarter or subsequent purchase, I think there are a sufficient lot of us who would like to see the whole thing errata-fixed so that we can use whatever pieces of it we like. I don't recall who said it, but there was a very true statement that any Traveller GM will find at least 100 pages of T5 totally brilliant and useful, but it will be a different 100 pages for each person. Just dumping 75% of the book unfixed seems unfair to all of these people.

Considering the number of people who now have T5, either through the Kickstarter or subsequent purchase, I think there are a sufficient lot of us who would like to see the whole thing errata-fixed so that we can use whatever pieces of it we like. [...] Just dumping 75% of the book unfixed seems unfair to all of these people.

Don't worry about Mr. Nats. He's acting a little trollish today.

Considering the number of people who now have T5, either through the Kickstarter or subsequent purchase, I think there are a sufficient lot of us who would like to see the whole thing errata-fixed so that we can use whatever pieces of it we like. I don't recall who said it, but there was a very true statement that any Traveller GM will find at least 100 pages of T5 totally brilliant and useful, but it will be a different 100 pages for each person. Just dumping 75% of the book unfixed seems unfair to all of these people.

I don't know if this is Marc's plan. It certainly is mine, or will at least loudly get my vote if I get one.

We could go around and around about T5 and how it got published. I do that at least twice a month, and it just wastes time. Now that Marc is back and focused, I want to make sure he gets all the support he needs to accomplish fixing T5 and finally launching his path forward.

I don't know if this is Marc's plan. It certainly is mine, or will at least loudly get my vote if I get one.

We could go around and around about T5 and how it got published. I do that at least twice a month, and it just wastes time. Now that Marc is back and focused, I want to make sure he gets all the support he needs to accomplish fixing T5 and finally launching his path forward.

So who's input is going to sway Marc? We've been told, over and over, that he had, and has, all he ever needed and more than he wanted.

Does he ever listen to anyone? Or does he say "this time I'll do it right" (Marc Miller's Traveller). There he blamed "others" and his own "lack of proper supervision" then same ole same ole.

So who is he going to listen to this time? Next time? Ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back