• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

3d printable Traveller Ship Designs

Topaz172

SOC-11
The Link below is to my 3d-printable Traveller Ship models... they are generally 150mm to 200mm long, broadly similar to classic 1:72 (ish) airfix kits.

https://www.thingiverse.com/tuaththua/designs

Currently Available....
Element Class Cruiser
Safari Class
Safari Class Ships Boat (designed to fit within the Safari's docking bay)
Rampart Class Fighter

Designed but not yet shared...
Broadsword Class
Vulture Class
Sub Merchant
Sub Merchant Launch (designed to fit the Sub Merch)
Sub Merchant Launch (15mm scale)
Lab Ship
Lab Ship's Boat
Scout Class
2 seat Air Raft (with roof)
2 Seat Air Raft (Cabriolet)
4 seat Air Raft (with roof)
Cargo Raft with three roof options
Fuel Raft

I was looking at the Safari ship, and musing to myself "that's an interesting design, I wonder what that big portal is on the side".

Further reading showed me that what we're looking at is the back!

Have you printed any of these? How do they come out? Did you do any finishing work on them?

The ones that are linked have all printed successfully. There is some sort of glitch with thingyverse that prevents me from generating alternate views... it loads in the direction it was created in... the Rampart fighter for example is on its sutide.

I have posted a lot of images on the traveller facebook page... I will dig some out. My version of the Safari is partially sunk in an ocean with an astronaut fishing from the dry wing.

currentlly the Sub merchant is with the 3d-print company for first print

Sub Merch

217634954_10215887322776204_6866157423816991708_n.jpg

Subsidised Merchant uploaded

It's gorgeous!

But I would love to see a printed version, and, also, perhaps, a finished and painted version.

I have just added another couple of ships.... The GHALALK class patrol cruiser and KHUMAKIRRI class light cruiser variants of the Element Series of ships.

I also have a design for a GHALALK-OILER fleet support variant configured with 'just' fuelpods (that I might load if there's interest). Up to you to figure out a good reason for a 40,000 ton tanker to retain a spinal mount!

I have just added another couple of ships.... The GHALALK class patrol cruiser and KHUMAKIRRI class light cruiser variants of the Element Series of ships.

I also have a design for a GHALALK-OILER fleet support variant configured with 'just' fuelpods (that I might load if there's interest). Up to you to figure out a good reason for a 40,000 ton tanker to retain a spinal mount!

To heat the upper atmosphere of the gas giant...aids in skimming.

Has anyone tried to print any of these yet? I'm building a Prusa Mini+ to give them a try.
I have seen pics of three fan printed Subbies ...as the originator I have 3d printed each of the ones I posted via shapeways. You'd need to generate your own supports and any re-sizing may compromise it as its designed to its size.

I guess the idea of posting designs that can be printed by a service bureau is just wrong.

I still do not understand why these are not drag and drop, "pick a color", "here's the price, it'll be 2 weeks".

Sounds like you ahve to download the design, run them through some tool to make "supports", or whatever, and off you go.

I guess the market is simply not mature enough to support the lay person wanting to print something like these things.

I guess the idea of posting designs that can be printed by a service bureau is just wrong.

I still do not understand why these are not drag and drop, "pick a color", "here's the price, it'll be 2 weeks".

Sounds like you ahve to download the design, run them through some tool to make "supports", or whatever, and off you go.

I guess the market is simply not mature enough to support the lay person wanting to print something like these things.
Whartung, there are several makers who DO post designs you can order; or companies that can print on request. The more correct statement is currently the *Traveller* market is not supported enough for the average layperson to order a print-on-demand.

We, as a community, are what will drive that change. There are dozens, if not hundreds of vendors offering Star Wars and Trek 3D prints and mods - because they have found a market for them. If we show similar interest the makers will supply the demand.

If you demand it, the supply will come ...

(or words to that effect)

Basically, vote with your wallet if you want to buy things.
Only works if there are things to buy.
Fundamentally, the point where it begins is some provider has to take the risk at the right time to get enough initial sales that others see there is a market.'
Every market starts with a supplier. No matter how much demand, until someone actually makes and makes available to purchase, there is no market.

When the demand side has something you want, motivation to supply something they want.
Only if your valuation and risk assessment make it worthwhile.

Most of us want practical fusion. Only a very few are working for it...

We all would love a reactionless drive. Only one man is publicly working on it without being considered a total crackpot. And Dr. White is still considered to be a bit of a crackpot. Wait, there might be a couple more, but they're in China, and may or may not be considered crackpots, but they publish only in Chinese.

Demand does not a market make. Demand with access to supply does.

Back