• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

5.10 Errata Thread?

Type of error: Textual Error
Description of issue:

"<" means "less than", not "less than or equal to". Use the symbol "≤" instead wherever this is the intent. There are a few spots that use =< (Book 1, p.135) that should also be replaced. It is very confusing to see this usage. "<" is referred to as the "left arrow symbol", but that is not its usual meaning at all. There is such a thing as a "left pointing angle bracket", and computer languages have repurposed this symbol for various things (usually in combination with other symbols), but here the intent is "≤" so that is what should be used.

"<=" would also be clear (and is more standard than "=<") - that's more the computer programming version than the mathematical version though, and I think the math version is more universal and shorter.

The main downside of ≤ is that it is a bit harder to type. On my Mac, it is option-< to get ≤, not sure for Windows. You can always copy/paste the symbol.

Alternatively, Traveller could re-adopt the old system of "Throw 10- on 5D to ..." or "Throw 5D for 10-" or otherwise modify the task format, but that's a much larger change and it seems desirable to have a more complex expression of the target number since they are rarely if ever fixed numbers anymore.

Location: Book 1, p. 129, first column at the bottom, section "Tests and Certificates"

It says: "Certificates. The difficulty of the test determines the certification the test provides:", but then it trails off. It is as if the section got moved but this part did not get deleted. p.101 has a whole page on this.

Related to this, it is implied you could establish skill on your character sheet by taking tests (aside from certification) - I doubt we want that. Likely the whole section should be deleted or replaced with a reference to p.101.

Description of issue:

"<" means "less than", not "less than or equal to". Use the symbol "≤" instead wherever this is the intent. There are a few spots that use =< (Book 1, p.135) that should also be replaced. It is very confusing to see this usage. "<" is referred to as the "left arrow symbol", but that is not its usual meaning at all. There is such a thing as a "left pointing angle bracket", and computer languages have repurposed this symbol for various things (usually in combination with other symbols), but here the intent is "≤" so that is what should be used.

"<=" would also be clear (and is more standard than "=<") - that's more the computer programming version than the mathematical version though, and I think the math version is more universal and shorter.
There are two math versions for less than or equal to... and greater than or equal to... I've only seen the slanted version in european documents, but I've seen the flat in documents from both sides of the pond... but I expect that has to do with the microsoft code page system...
SymbolsUnicode Code PointASCII/CP8851code pointUnicode NameUse
<003C3CLESS-THAN SIGNMathematical comparison, HTML tag opener. one of several pipling characters in MS-DOS and Unix
2264F3LESS-THAN OR EQUAL TOMathematical Comparison
2A7DLESS-THAN OR SLANTED EQUAL TOMathematical Comparison
>003E3EGREATER-THAN SIGNMathematical comparison, HTML tag closer. one of several pipling characters in MS-DOS and Unix
2265F2GREATER-THAN OR EQUAL TOMathematical Comparison
2A7EGREATER-THAN OR SLANTED EQUAL TOMathematical Comparison
2329LEFT ANGLE BRACKETLiterary Reconstruction, indication of translation, physics math for expected value, Oriental left quote
232ARIGHT ANGLE BRACKETLiterary Reconstruction, indication of translation, physics math for expected value, Oriental right quote

There are two math versions for less than or equal to... and greater than or equal to... I've only seen the slanted version in european documents, but I've seen the flat in documents from both sides of the pond... but I expect that has to do with the microsoft code page system...
Either would be fine, the point is not redefining a standard math symbol or making up a new one where one already exists.

Gaining Talents and their levels. In reading Book 1, p. 168-171, it describes the the talents as available to non-human characters, and each is given a level of up to 15. In the sophonts creation section of Book 3 p.234, it is possible to assign a talent to a specific gender/caste. But not how to determine the level of the talent.

Two possibilities are to treat the talent like a Characteristic (roll 2D for level, minus aging effects) or like a skill (Gain 1 level per year until it reaches C4 or C5).

My current thinking is to treat it like a characteristic, and have it remain fixed for most of their lifetime.

Type: Inconsistency:

For special abilities, on p 221 is says:
If the Sophont already has the sense shown, increase its Sense Constant +1D

on P. 234, explaining the table it says:
If the sense is present, increase Constant by +2.

Type: Reference error.

The text on p. 221 says "Table D2. The Table D2 result calls for a roll on the Caste Skills Table D2 individually during Character Generation." . The Special abilities tables on p.234 also has a reference to Table D2.

There is no Table D2. There is a Table C2 "Caste Skills Short". Based upon the references, the roll should be on the Table C2.

Location: Book 3, pp 216, 218, 226: Exotic Native Intelligent life on page 216 says atmosphere 9+, p. 218 A+. the chart on p 226 also indicates atmospheres ABC

Type: Inconsistency

I don't recall seeing this previously, but this thread is a tad lengthy :)

Book 3 Page 187, Portals - either their TL or the description of how they work is off.
The text describes the TL-Q (24) portals as a device that transits through a 'Pocket Universe'.
The table on Book 2 Page 235 agrees with this, placing Portals tech at TL24. However, the tech for the Pocket Universe is set at TL31.

I am guessing that there is a limited function Portal at TL24-30, but the tech really hits its stride when combined with the Pocket Universe tech that comes along later.

Book 2 Page 72, 227, 231 & 233 What is the correct TL for Biologics/Organics?
Page 72, Table D lists the 'Organic' hull as a TL12 offering.
The Punctuated Technology sidebar on page 227 lists 'Effective Biological Sciences' at TL13.
The table on page 231, in the Science column, has Biologics listed at TL13.
The table on page 233, in the Tech column, has Biologics listed at TL12.

Book 2 Page 105, 'M' Table
The intersection of 130% Ultimate and TL 16 shows a M-11 drive (11.7). That drive performance will require TL17 since the M-9 drive is a TL13 innovation and the Ultimate development of the drive will occur at +4 tech levels. The correct entry should read:
M-9 (9.1)
This would be the ultimate development of the TL12 M-7 drive.

Book 3 Page 187, Portals - either their TL or the description of how they work is off.
The text describes the TL-Q (24) portals as a device that transits through a 'Pocket Universe'.
The table on Book 2 Page 235 agrees with this, placing Portals tech at TL24. However, the tech for the Pocket Universe is set at TL31.

I am guessing that there is a limited function Portal at TL24-30, but the tech really hits its stride when combined with the Pocket Universe tech that comes along later.
UPDATE: I threw this problem out into a different brain trust and got an interesting solution that would not involve any significant changes to the existing material. Using the descriptions of wormholes and the Keyhole Drive from TNE FF&S, there is the interesting possibility that there are naturally occurring Pocket Universes at the ends of some wormholes. Since a closed wormhole is discovered by a Densitometer (TL7) and the Portals (TL24) use a Pocket Universe as a base, the innovation of the Keyhole drive that opens up the closed wormhole - would have to exist between TL7 and TL24. My solution would be to have the Keyhole Drive achieve Standard at TL22 so that the Experimental version coincides with the TL19 development of the Elemental Matter Transporter. The history would look like this:
TL7 - The Densitometer achieves Standard development.
TL9 - The development of the M and J drives give the civilization the ability to start looking around their own system as well as others.
TL9-16 - Densitometer discoveries of anomalies that warrant further research.
TL19 - Experimental Keyhole Drive is able to prove the potential and existence of the discovered wormholes.
TL20 - Prototype Keyhole Drive results in a wealth of knowledge and new research on wormhole physics.
TL21 - Early Keyhole Drives are able to send probes capable of making a return trip. The first naturally occurring pocket universe is discovered. Experimental Portal shows some success, which increases interest in Keyhole Drive development.
TL22 - Standard Keyhole Drives are considered safe for crewed missions. Prototype Portal are tested between Pocket Universe and Real Universe with promising results. At this point, the portals are a 1:1 matched set, mostly useful for transiting into and out of the pocket universe quickly.
TL23 - Early Portals introduce the "Prime-to-many" Portal concept. Range is severely limited but shows the promise of revolutionizing the transportation industry without having to resort to technologies that kill you and recreate you somewhere else as part of their operation. The Improved Keyhole Drive is more efficient but there is no need to develop the technology further like the Jump drive (J2-3-4...), as a naturally occurring wormhole cannot be forced to go anywhere but it's predetermined destination.
TL24 - Standard Portals with a range of 36 light minutes revolutionize in-system transportation. Modified Keyhole Drive is half the size of the Standard unit.
TL25 - Improved Portals are capable of 39.6 light minute range. Standard Teleporters are available now, and would be used where Portals are not possible.
TL26 - Ultimate Keyhole drive is developed. It is now as small and efficient as it can be.
TL27 - Advanced Portals are capable of 43.2 light minute range. Improved Teleportation using Reality Manipulation is now possible. This is a non-destructive technology that can be used anywhere and at greater ranges than Portals. It is unlikely that Portals will be developed any further.
TL28 - Ultimate Portals (if developed), are capable of 46.8 light minute range. Experiments begin on creating artificial Pocket Universes.
TL31 - The ability to create an artificial Pocket Universe becomes available.

Please give me your thoughts on this.

It still is a valid thread, but with the passing of DonM, I am not sure if anyone is compiling the data posted for a consolidated list.
Thanks for the reply. I used to be a pretty regular member, but life got in the way and I disappeared for a while. I didn't know about DonM. I'm sorry to hear that.

T5.1, Book 2, Page 79, Starship Fuel Chart
The "P" column has an error at NAFAL. It should read: N - included in Operations* (the same way NAFAL works for Fission and Anti-Matter).
The "U" (Fission Plant) needs correction. It should read:
M - included in Operations*
R - <as printed>​
H - <as printed>​
J - included in Operations*
H - included in Operations*
S - included in Operations*
N - <as printed>​
The "A" (Anti-Matter) column needs a fix so that H - 1 Burn = P x Hull /100
In addition, the three asterisks that are footnoted: In addition to Rocket Fuel thrust requirements. - This needs to be removed. Nowhere in the description of HEPlaR, nor in previous versions of the game, is there ever a requirement for HEPlaR to have additional rocket fuel.

T5.1, Book 2, Page 79, Starship Fuel Chart
The "P" column has an error at NAFAL. It should read: N - included in Operations* (the same way NAFAL works for Fission and Anti-Matter).
That would be nice, but the effect is the same: Twice the fuel consumption, once for Ops and once again for NAFAL.

The "U" (Fission Plant) needs correction. It should read:
M - included in Operations*
R - <as printed>​
H - <as printed>​
J - included in Operations*
H - included in Operations*
S - included in Operations*
N - <as printed>​
Fission plants can't support Jump drives, so "not possible" is correct for J, H, and S:
B2, p132:
Fission Power Plants
_ _ The power plant uses the fission of radioactive elements to produce usable energy. Its output is similar to Fusion Power Plants, but it is incapable of Overclock, and cannot support Interstellar Drive operations.
Fission should be able to power Maneuver according to p56:
B2, p56:
M MANEUVER DRIVE
_ _ The Maneuver Drive M-Drive is a powerful drive system that interacts with gravity fields to produce thrust.
_ _ The M-Drive is installed as a drive. It requires a Power Plant with potential equal to or greater than the M-Drive. For example, a ship with Maneuver-5 requires a Power Plant with Potential-5, a Fission Plant with Potential-5, or an AM Plant with Potential-5. It cannot use a Collector.

In addition, the three asterisks that are footnoted: In addition to Rocket Fuel thrust requirements. - This needs to be removed. Nowhere in the description of HEPlaR, nor in previous versions of the game, is there ever a requirement for HEPlaR to have additional rocket fuel.
Agreed, that would be the rocket fuel requirement, not in addition to it, I assume.
Note that:
B2, p188:
_ _ Rocket Fuel. Rockets (including HEPlaR) are fueled by Liquid Hydrogen and Liquid Oxygen burning to produce thrust. Any electrolysis process (for water or ice) which produces Liquid Hydrogen also produces Liquid Oxygen for about the same price.
HEPlaR have always needed LHyd propellant in addition to power from the power plant to work. Now it apparently also needs LOx, making it unwieldy for wilderness refuelling.

BBB p. 227 table 05.B is ambiguous as to whether the die roll modifiers apply to the column roll or to the flux roll. I'm assuming it is for the Flux roll, but it should be stated either on this page or back on p.218.

Book 1, page 60, Flight School skills
Book 1, page 61, right column, Eneri in College

Type of error:

Logic/Textual error.

Description of issue:

According to p.60, the reward of attending Flight School is Pilot-3.
According to p.61, having enrolled in NOTC and Flight School, Eneri has acquired a total of Pilot-4.

But according to p.63, Pilot is one of the skills that cannot be acquired in Education or Training. Only the knowledges that are contained within these skills can be acquired at this point.

Solution:

On or near p.60, add text that states Flight School graduates must choose Pilot-related knowledges rather than Pilot.
On p.61, rewrite the example, e.g. by giving Eneri Spacecraft ACS-2 and Small Craft-2.

Book 1, page 129, An Understanding of Tasks and Difficulty

Type of error:

Logic/Textual error.

Description of issue:

Assuming the C+S Probabilities Table on p.258) is correct, most of the probabilities cited in the example on p.129 are wrong.

Solution:

Replace the relevant sections with the following text:

“To manipulate a component into position
Difficult (3D) < Dex + Mechanic

Dexterity-7 implies a base chance of 16% of accomplishing the task; but untrained, uneducated, inexperienced Dexterity alone is not enough: Skill is required. Skill-1 establishes the chance of success as 26%. Skill-2 increases that chance to 38%. Skill-5 increases that chance to 74%.

Default Skill. The skill may be a default skill. Dexterity-7 implies a base chance of success of 16%. If the character has no skill and must resolve based on a default skill, difficulty increases one level (based on This Is Hard!), making the base chance of success 3% [this value is correct]. The character has some small chance of succeeding. A smart player can make the task Cautious, reducing difficulty to Difficult (3D) [ down one level from Formidable due to TiH] and the chance of success increases to 16% [this value is correct].”

Book 1, page 177, QREBS example: Engineer Gustav

Type of error:

Logic/Textual error.

Description of issue:

The text uses the wrong operator.

Solution:

Correct the text as follows:

"Potential Failure. Flux=-4.+4. Reliability=0. There will be a failure later today (Referee rolls 1D=1) in about an hour."

Back