• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

A Criticism of the Bell Curve

Originally posted by tbeard1999:

Did you mean "it's too easy to shoot people?"

If so, I disagree. A 41% base chance of hitting doesn't sound unreasonable to me.
Real-world statistics for poorly trained people, at short ranges, are under 10%. Requiring a 10-12 to hit is perfectly realistic.

That said, certain modifiers (such as autofire) may be excessively large. The typical goal of burst fire is a doubling in hit probability under poor conditions, which is really only a +1 or +2.

That fact is under appreciated, I think. If you shift the success number upwards, even modest penalties will make it effectively impossible to succeed.
I have no problem with unskilled people being incompetent.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Tasks come in a variety of difficulties. For any given character, some tasks will be nearly automatic, some tasks will result in nearly automatic failure -- the difference is which tasks those are.
I'm sorry, but I fail to see your point, at least as it applies to this discussion. Of course, some characters will be more skilled than others and of course somne tasks will be harder. My objection is not with these ubiquitous facts.

Rather, I'm merely noting that a 2d6 system (or a 3d6 system) is far more granular than its proponents seem to think. And such systems are easy to break if the game designer creates a modifier regime that makes large net modifiers relatively common.
</font>[/QUOTE]A 2d6 or 3d6 system is quite granular, but my point was that there's nothing wrong with that, because human skill levels vary by a lot

Originally posted by Supplement Four:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by TheEngineer:
The max skill level rule is still valid.
Getting older myself, I even have no problem with playing "saturated" characters, which have to drop one skill-level in order to get another new one.
The problem I have with this is that it's strictly a game mechanic. It has not "logic" in the real world, because in the rw, people tend to learn more and more things as their life goes on. They don't reach a certain level and stop....especially if they're 26 years old and not 86 suffering from Alzheimers (sp?). </font>[/QUOTE]Just speaking from personal experience, when I was 26 I could read Virgil in the original Latin, and compose Latin verse myself. Now I'm in my 40s and a software designer, and I'd need a dictionary to read Latin at all. To quote Homer Simpson "every time I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain".

Getting older myself, I even have no problem with playing "saturated" characters, which have to drop one skill-level in order to get another new one.
The problem I have with this is that it's strictly a game mechanic. It has not "logic" in the real world, because in the rw, people tend to learn more and more things as their life goes on. They don't reach a certain level and stop....especially if they're 26 years old and not 86 suffering from Alzheimers (sp?). </font>[/QUOTE]Just speaking from personal experience, when I was 26 I could read Virgil in the original Latin, and compose Latin verse myself. Now I'm in my 40s and a software designer, and I'd need a dictionary to read Latin at all. To quote Homer Simpson "every time I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain".

Yep. Aging and memory is a dramatic thing

Anyway, there really are some memories I really would like to purge, e.g. the memory about good books or films, where re-reading or watching suddenly becomes boring, because You somehow remember the storyline, stored away 20 years ago ....

Yep. Aging and memory is a dramatic thing

Anyway, there really are some memories I really would like to purge, e.g. the memory about good books or films, where re-reading or watching suddenly becomes boring, because You somehow remember the storyline, stored away 20 years ago ....

Originally posted by Tinker:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Supplement Four:
The problem I have with this is that it's strictly a game mechanic. It has not "logic" in the real world, because in the rw, people tend to learn more and more things as their life goes on. They don't reach a certain level and stop....especially if they're 26 years old and not 86 suffering from Alzheimers (sp?). </font>[/QUOTE]Just speaking from personal experience, when I was 26 I could read Virgil in the original Latin, and compose Latin verse myself. Now I'm in my 40s and a software designer, and I'd need a dictionary to read Latin at all. To quote Homer Simpson "every time I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain". </font>[/QUOTE]I had a number of careers (retail management, typesetting, marketing, postscript publishing) before I settled into my current one (lawyer) and at any given time, I was probably level-1 or 2 in each career. However, now, I'd be level-0 in most of them, since my skills have declined with disuse. It takes a most of my available time and energy to maintain my Law-3 or 4 (I hope) skill. I suppose that Law could actually be several Traveller skills -- Admin, Interrogation, even Instruction. But Law can't be any harder than medicine, and Medic-3 is a doctor.

I find it hard to imagine that even adventurers can maintain expert levels of competency in more than a few fields, at the same time. In fact, I can't imagine trying to maintain proficiency at 2 major careers -- say, Law and Medicine -- at the same time. But adventurers are different than most folks, so I'm okay with them having a couple of expert level proficiencies. But just a couple...

Originally posted by Tinker:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Supplement Four:
The problem I have with this is that it's strictly a game mechanic. It has not "logic" in the real world, because in the rw, people tend to learn more and more things as their life goes on. They don't reach a certain level and stop....especially if they're 26 years old and not 86 suffering from Alzheimers (sp?). </font>[/QUOTE]Just speaking from personal experience, when I was 26 I could read Virgil in the original Latin, and compose Latin verse myself. Now I'm in my 40s and a software designer, and I'd need a dictionary to read Latin at all. To quote Homer Simpson "every time I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain". </font>[/QUOTE]I had a number of careers (retail management, typesetting, marketing, postscript publishing) before I settled into my current one (lawyer) and at any given time, I was probably level-1 or 2 in each career. However, now, I'd be level-0 in most of them, since my skills have declined with disuse. It takes a most of my available time and energy to maintain my Law-3 or 4 (I hope) skill. I suppose that Law could actually be several Traveller skills -- Admin, Interrogation, even Instruction. But Law can't be any harder than medicine, and Medic-3 is a doctor.

I find it hard to imagine that even adventurers can maintain expert levels of competency in more than a few fields, at the same time. In fact, I can't imagine trying to maintain proficiency at 2 major careers -- say, Law and Medicine -- at the same time. But adventurers are different than most folks, so I'm okay with them having a couple of expert level proficiencies. But just a couple...

Originally posted by Anthony:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by tbeard1999:

If so, I disagree. A 41% base chance of hitting doesn't sound unreasonable to me.
Real-world statistics for poorly trained people, at short ranges, are under 10%. Requiring a 10-12 to hit is perfectly realistic.

That said, certain modifiers (such as autofire) may be excessively large. The typical goal of burst fire is a doubling in hit probability under poor conditions, which is really only a +1 or +2.

That fact is under appreciated, I think. If you shift the success number upwards, even modest penalties will make it effectively impossible to succeed.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Tasks come in a variety of difficulties. For any given character, some tasks will be nearly automatic, some tasks will result in nearly automatic failure -- the difference is which tasks those are.
I'm sorry, but I fail to see your point, at least as it applies to this discussion. Of course, some characters will be more skilled than others and of course somne tasks will be harder. My objection is not with these ubiquitous facts.

Rather, I'm merely noting that a 2d6 system (or a 3d6 system) is far more granular than its proponents seem to think. And such systems are easy to break if the game designer creates a modifier regime that makes large net modifiers relatively common.
</font>[/QUOTE]A 2d6 or 3d6 system is quite granular, but my point was that there's nothing wrong with that, because human skill levels vary by a lot
</font>[/QUOTE]Re - changing the base "to hit" probability to 10 or 11. I am skeptical that this is a viable solution in a 2d6 system. If you set the "to hit" chance at 10 or higher, *any* negative modifiers will make it effectively impossible to hit. Since negative modifiers are a feature of most RPGs, including CT, I don't think that's gonna be much of an improvement. Nor does it really solve the underlying problem of having modifiers that are simply to large for the mechanic.

Re - granularity. I am not criticizing granular systems. Rather, I am just pointing out that a 2d6 system is far more granular than GDW apparently realized because they created a combat system filled with modifiers that are too large for a 2d6 (or 3d6) system.

And if you are gonna fix these problems, you will *have* to reduce the size of those modifiers (and delete the smaller ones). Of course, that will frustrate players who want more detail, but that's the price you pay for a granular system. CT tried to have it both ways -- a simple, very granular mechanic, with hordes of modifier. And it didn't work.

In my opinion, granularity has nothing to do with the fact that characters have varying degrees of competencies. Granularity simply restricts the amount of detail you can have and limits you in your ability to model the full range of capability. With the Ct system, assuming an expert is someone who will succeed at average difficulty tasks almost all the time, then you can have only about 4 levels of skill (including level 0) to show the differences between a novice and an expert (assuming you want to award high attributes with a +1). 5 maximum. As long as the designer is mindful of these limitations, you can have a very good game. CT's skill system works pretty well; it's really only with the Books 4+ "skills bloat" that problems emerge.

My criticism of the bell curve is that it simply won't work well with the scale and number of modifiers that CT (and indeed, many RPGs) envisions. I therefore question the common assertion that bell curves are Good Things to have.

</font>[/QUOTE]Re - changing the base "to hit" probability to 10 or 11. I am skeptical that this is a viable solution in a 2d6 system. If you set the "to hit" chance at 10 or higher, *any* negative modifiers will make it effectively impossible to hit. Since negative modifiers are a feature of most RPGs, including CT, I don't think that's gonna be much of an improvement. Nor does it really solve the underlying problem of having modifiers that are simply to large for the mechanic.

Re - granularity. I am not criticizing granular systems. Rather, I am just pointing out that a 2d6 system is far more granular than GDW apparently realized because they created a combat system filled with modifiers that are too large for a 2d6 (or 3d6) system.

And if you are gonna fix these problems, you will *have* to reduce the size of those modifiers (and delete the smaller ones). Of course, that will frustrate players who want more detail, but that's the price you pay for a granular system. CT tried to have it both ways -- a simple, very granular mechanic, with hordes of modifier. And it didn't work.

In my opinion, granularity has nothing to do with the fact that characters have varying degrees of competencies. Granularity simply restricts the amount of detail you can have and limits you in your ability to model the full range of capability. With the Ct system, assuming an expert is someone who will succeed at average difficulty tasks almost all the time, then you can have only about 4 levels of skill (including level 0) to show the differences between a novice and an expert (assuming you want to award high attributes with a +1). 5 maximum. As long as the designer is mindful of these limitations, you can have a very good game. CT's skill system works pretty well; it's really only with the Books 4+ "skills bloat" that problems emerge.

My criticism of the bell curve is that it simply won't work well with the scale and number of modifiers that CT (and indeed, many RPGs) envisions. I therefore question the common assertion that bell curves are Good Things to have.

Tbeard, you know, with my simple CT combat system, I've basically done two things:

Doesn't that suit your quest for a non-broken 2D6 system?

Doesn't that already do what you're trying to accomplish?
No, but that's not the fault of your system. Your system looks fine to me; maybe not what I'd design from scratch, but that's just a matter of taste.

And I too have a combat system derived from Striker that I am quite happy with. It, at least for now, is a 2d6 system.

So maybe I haven't been as clear as I should -- I am not arguing that 2d6 (or 3d6) systems are inherently flawed. Rather, I am arguing that they contain serious limitations that are often ignored by game designers and proponents of such systems.

Regarding your combat system, the problem is that I have a specific goal in this exercise -- to *fix* the problems in CT, and to avoid wholesale replacement of entire systems. Your combat system (and my Striker derived one) would violate that goal. As would almost every mod of Traveller that I've seen (including my own).

And when I asked myself what Traveller really is, I decided that whatever it really is includes the game system itself, at least the system contained in the original set. That's what I started with long ago. It also includes the technology assumptions -- guns instead of blasters, swords, huge variations in tech between worlds*, no FTL communications, relatively slow FTL, etc. I exclude the setting -- I'm don't even use the Third Imperium most of the time.

This brought me to the contention that my "real" Traveller campaign would be fake if I ditched the combat system. Or used GURPs. Etc.

So I explicitly set out to keep the existing mechanics intact as much as possible, though acknowledging the need to fix them.

This goal required me to actually define what specific flaws exist in CT (in my opinion anyhow). I ultimately concluded that the problems mostly derive from the 2d6 system.

Or more accurately the fact that CT contains a regime of inappropriate modifiers for a 2d6 regime.

An unintended consequence -- I respect Marc Miller's design abilities even more now, because the 3 LBB original version of Traveller works pretty darned well. The problem is that it has no room for expansion. So more powerful weapons broke the system. Ditto with character generation systems that doubled the number of skills a character was likely to get. And even with "reasonable" changes like allowing a generic Pistol skill in lieu of skills with specific weapons.

And to my surprise, it turns out that it *is* possible to fix the worst problems that *I* have with CT without replacing the combat system or utterly re-writing the character generation system.

By simply altering the gun data, I was able to make the original CT system work, even with Mercenary weaponry. Or so it appears.

Is it better than your combat system (or mine)? Doubtful, since I design the games *I* want to play. Presumably you do likewise. I wouldn't expect an off the shelf system to compete with a system designed from scratch to fit my desires.

For character generation, the key realization for me was that Books 4+ chargen is the problem. The key problem is that the 2d6(8+ success) system is very sensitive to even a modest numerical difference in skill levels. A chargen system that churns out characters with twice the number of skills on average as Book 3/COI will unavoidably tend to produce characters that have higher skill levels (and more of them) than CT's mechanics can handle. The grouping of weapon skills into logical categories is part of the problem as well -- it allows you to more easily obtain higher skill levels in a variety of weaponry. That stresses and then breaks the 2d6 system. So my fix for that is easy -- at the end of each 4 year term, you discard skills in excess of what you'd get in Book 1 (1 skill per term + 1 per promotion). And weapon skills are taken for individual weapons.

*I wanted to compliment you on your excellent defense of wide tech level disparities. You're right -- Traveller travel is very expensive and costly. Assuming cr1 equals a 1978 dollar, a middle passage for a single jump costs the equivalent of $25K+ in today's money. Even the humble low passage isn't cheap at the equivalent of $3600. And like you say, you'll do this on a cramped fishing boat. Technology isn't gonna spread all that quickly in this kind of setting.

Tbeard, you know, with my simple CT combat system, I've basically done two things:

Doesn't that suit your quest for a non-broken 2D6 system?

Doesn't that already do what you're trying to accomplish?
No, but that's not the fault of your system. Your system looks fine to me; maybe not what I'd design from scratch, but that's just a matter of taste.

And I too have a combat system derived from Striker that I am quite happy with. It, at least for now, is a 2d6 system.

So maybe I haven't been as clear as I should -- I am not arguing that 2d6 (or 3d6) systems are inherently flawed. Rather, I am arguing that they contain serious limitations that are often ignored by game designers and proponents of such systems.

Regarding your combat system, the problem is that I have a specific goal in this exercise -- to *fix* the problems in CT, and to avoid wholesale replacement of entire systems. Your combat system (and my Striker derived one) would violate that goal. As would almost every mod of Traveller that I've seen (including my own).

And when I asked myself what Traveller really is, I decided that whatever it really is includes the game system itself, at least the system contained in the original set. That's what I started with long ago. It also includes the technology assumptions -- guns instead of blasters, swords, huge variations in tech between worlds*, no FTL communications, relatively slow FTL, etc. I exclude the setting -- I'm don't even use the Third Imperium most of the time.

This brought me to the contention that my "real" Traveller campaign would be fake if I ditched the combat system. Or used GURPs. Etc.

So I explicitly set out to keep the existing mechanics intact as much as possible, though acknowledging the need to fix them.

This goal required me to actually define what specific flaws exist in CT (in my opinion anyhow). I ultimately concluded that the problems mostly derive from the 2d6 system.

Or more accurately the fact that CT contains a regime of inappropriate modifiers for a 2d6 regime.

An unintended consequence -- I respect Marc Miller's design abilities even more now, because the 3 LBB original version of Traveller works pretty darned well. The problem is that it has no room for expansion. So more powerful weapons broke the system. Ditto with character generation systems that doubled the number of skills a character was likely to get. And even with "reasonable" changes like allowing a generic Pistol skill in lieu of skills with specific weapons.

And to my surprise, it turns out that it *is* possible to fix the worst problems that *I* have with CT without replacing the combat system or utterly re-writing the character generation system.

By simply altering the gun data, I was able to make the original CT system work, even with Mercenary weaponry. Or so it appears.

Is it better than your combat system (or mine)? Doubtful, since I design the games *I* want to play. Presumably you do likewise. I wouldn't expect an off the shelf system to compete with a system designed from scratch to fit my desires.

For character generation, the key realization for me was that Books 4+ chargen is the problem. The key problem is that the 2d6(8+ success) system is very sensitive to even a modest numerical difference in skill levels. A chargen system that churns out characters with twice the number of skills on average as Book 3/COI will unavoidably tend to produce characters that have higher skill levels (and more of them) than CT's mechanics can handle. The grouping of weapon skills into logical categories is part of the problem as well -- it allows you to more easily obtain higher skill levels in a variety of weaponry. That stresses and then breaks the 2d6 system. So my fix for that is easy -- at the end of each 4 year term, you discard skills in excess of what you'd get in Book 1 (1 skill per term + 1 per promotion). And weapon skills are taken for individual weapons.

*I wanted to compliment you on your excellent defense of wide tech level disparities. You're right -- Traveller travel is very expensive and costly. Assuming cr1 equals a 1978 dollar, a middle passage for a single jump costs the equivalent of $25K+ in today's money. Even the humble low passage isn't cheap at the equivalent of $3600. And like you say, you'll do this on a cramped fishing boat. Technology isn't gonna spread all that quickly in this kind of setting.

With the Ct system, assuming an expert is someone who will succeed at average difficulty tasks almost all the time
Which is, well, a bizarre standard. An expert should automatically succeed at average tasks, and should probably even auto-succeed at tasks a person of average skill would be challenged by.

I will note that combat, however, is much more random than most activities.

With the Ct system, assuming an expert is someone who will succeed at average difficulty tasks almost all the time
Which is, well, a bizarre standard. An expert should automatically succeed at average tasks, and should probably even auto-succeed at tasks a person of average skill would be challenged by.

</font>[/QUOTE]I must have missed something here. I said that I assume "an expert is someone who will succeed at average difficulty tasks almost all the time..."

You call it bizarre, and state "[a]n expert should automatically succeed at average tasks"

Is there any meaningful difference between these statements?

Seems to the that the remainder of your statement really just re-states the original assumption. In most RPGs I've played an "average difficulty" task *does* challenge novices. ~50% chance of success is a pretty typical success chance for average tasks performed by novices. (CT is 41% but that's dictated by the 2d6 system -- you can't easily get a 50% chance with a 2d6 roll alone).

And as I said, experts should be able to succeed at average difficulty tasks almost all the time.

As it happens, I agree with you about combat; there probably should be a fair degree of uncertainty no matter how competent the combatants. In addition, it's clear to me that RPGs tend to overstate the accuracy of firearms. I recently posted examples from the gunfight at the OK Corral and from battles involving US law enforcement and Mexican gangs on the border, and it looked to me like around 30% was a good base to hit number, assuming competent shooters. RPGs also seem to underestimate the lethality of guns in these battles multiple bullet wounds often failed to bring someone down. And, hit points may not be very accurate in modelling gun combat results.

But in a 2d6 system, I don't think that there's much room to reduce accuracy. As noted, raising the to hit threshold to say, 9+ (28%) in a 2d6 system will make it effectively impossible to hit if the net modifier is only -2. The standard CT modifiers *still* won't work.

</font>[/QUOTE]I must have missed something here. I said that I assume "an expert is someone who will succeed at average difficulty tasks almost all the time..."

You call it bizarre, and state "[a]n expert should automatically succeed at average tasks"

Seems to the that the remainder of your statement really just re-states the original assumption. In most RPGs I've played an "average difficulty" task *does* challenge novices. ~50% chance of success is a pretty typical success chance for average tasks performed by novices. (CT is 41% but that's dictated by the 2d6 system -- you can't easily get a 50% chance with a 2d6 roll alone).

And as I said, experts should be able to succeed at average difficulty tasks almost all the time.

As it happens, I agree with you about combat; there probably should be a fair degree of uncertainty no matter how competent the combatants. In addition, it's clear to me that RPGs tend to overstate the accuracy of firearms. I recently posted examples from the gunfight at the OK Corral and from battles involving US law enforcement and Mexican gangs on the border, and it looked to me like around 30% was a good base to hit number, assuming competent shooters. RPGs also seem to underestimate the lethality of guns in these battles multiple bullet wounds often failed to bring someone down. And, hit points may not be very accurate in modelling gun combat results.

But in a 2d6 system, I don't think that there's much room to reduce accuracy. As noted, raising the to hit threshold to say, 9+ (28%) in a 2d6 system will make it effectively impossible to hit if the net modifier is only -2. The standard CT modifiers *still* won't work.

=I must have missed something here. I said that I assume "an expert is someone who will succeed at average difficulty tasks almost all the time..."

Yes. I delete the world 'almost'. If a novice needs an 8+, an expert should have at least a +6 bonus (thus succeeding on a roll of 2).

=I must have missed something here. I said that I assume "an expert is someone who will succeed at average difficulty tasks almost all the time..."

Yes. I delete the world 'almost'. If a novice needs an 8+, an expert should have at least a +6 bonus (thus succeeding on a roll of 2).

Yes. I delete the world 'almost'. If a novice needs an 8+, an expert should have at least a +6 bonus (thus succeeding on a roll of 2). </font>[/QUOTE]<shrug>

Doesn't seem like much of a difference to me. Should *anything* be automatic in RPGs?

I did edit my previous post to address issues related to gun hit probabilities.

Yes. I delete the world 'almost'. If a novice needs an 8+, an expert should have at least a +6 bonus (thus succeeding on a roll of 2). </font>[/QUOTE]<shrug>

Doesn't seem like much of a difference to me. Should *anything* be automatic in RPGs?

I did edit my previous post to address issues related to gun hit probabilities.

Yes. How often do you have characters roll to walk successfully? If they're walking on ice or something sure, but there are lots of rolls one doesn't make because there's no reasonable chance of failure (I will note that walking is a learned skill; young children can't do it reliably).

To give an RPG-relevant example, if Commander A, who has been navigating for twenty years, plots a jump, I won't make him roll. If Ensign B, who recently passed his qualification but has no practical experience, is forced to do the same thing, he gets to roll.

Back