• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Aspects of the Rebellion Era that snap people's disbelief suspenders

Sorry for not replying earlier. For the most part I actually agree with you. (And I completely agree with your above response to 313.) Plus this discussion has forced me to look at some other side ideas that I might be able to leverage.

Originally posted by rancke:
Side issue: Just what is the difference between the Hierate and Aslan clans?
For my purposes, the "Hierate" refers to the "orthodox" Aslan as a whole. Granted this is probably a misuse of the "Hierate", but that is OK because canon makes the same mistake.

"Aslan clans" refer to one or more clans working on their own, independent of any overall structure.

So, if the "Hierate" is attacking the DoD, then all "orthodox" Aslan clans are making war on the DoD. But if "Aslan clans" are attacking the DoD, then one or more clans are making war, but they are operating completely independently of the vast majority of the "Hierate".

(I use "orthodox" to indicate those clans who subscribe the the standard Aslan culture enforced throughout Hierate space.)

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />The Floriani didn't fall.
OK, my mistake. But all the better if they didn't fall.</font>[/QUOTE]Do note that I am saying the Floriani didn't fall. I have no real "proof" of that, only some circumstantial evidence.

At least, I have no proof yet.

You're right, there are a few results of an Aslan invasion, but the results are either possible to explain without an invasion or middling to highly implausible. I notice that RS speaks of Imperial (ie. Domain) weakness in 1122! After being on a war footing for five years without the Zhodani showing up, the Domain is still sending all its spanking new ships to Vilis? I don't think so.
Heh, I fully agree with you here.

Don't forget the whole line of "cultural stagnation" and "population pressure" nonsense mentioned in the RSB. With as many empty (or near empty) worlds as there are in the Regency, there are no population pressures. And the only cultural problems the Regency had were because of Norris changing too much too fast.

As an aside, with the RSB, I have found that if I read it as having an omniscient point of view, it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense at times. But, if I am willing to step back, give it more of an in-game point of view, and then read between the lines a bit, it starts making a lot more sense.

For what it's worth, I don't think Dave Neilson thought the whole Aslan invasion thing made any sense, either.

rancke covered most of it, but I wished to add a bit.

Originally posted by 313:
since the numbers of ihatei probaly numbers in the tens if not hundreads of billions
Hundreds of billions?!? Really? That’s the population of 20 Pop A worlds, or more (hundreds = plural, so we’re talking 200 billion or more). How many worlds got depopulated to get such a group together? Hundreds?

who have bean siting (and growing in numbers )in cold sleep for decades or more
What’s the economic cost of keeping them all in cold sleep? 200 hundred billion cold berths @ 50 KCr each, why, that’s 10 quadrillion credits. Eeeeeek! Think of the navy you could build for that.

Starships charge 1000 Cr/week to use them. We can assume groundside use will be cheaper, maybe 250 Cr/week (those physicians must be paid!). 200 billion x 52 weeks x 250 Cr = 2,600,000,000,000,000 Cr/year. Two point six quadrillion credits, why, it’s only pocket change in comparison to building the cold berths in the first place, right?

Now, let us add in the word “decades”. Decades = plural, and so we’re talking 20 years, minimum. 52 quadrillion credits. No, not much at all . . .

Let’s think about this for a few moments. Such grand costs, just to keep an unimaginably large population on ice? What’s the economic cost of not having those people be a part of the economy? It doesn’t bear thinking.

Basically, it isn’t going to happen.

so by 1120 Norris would just be geting around to dealing with "the Toon problem"
“Toon” problem?

I’m drawing a blank here. Help!

since the numbers of ihatei probaly numbers in the tens if not hundreads of billions
Hundreds of billions?!? Really? That’s the population of 20 Pop A worlds, or more (hundreds = plural, so we’re talking 200 billion or more). How many worlds got depopulated to get such a group together? Hundreds?

What’s the economic cost of keeping them all in cold sleep? 200 hundred billion cold berths @ 50 KCr each, why, that’s 10 quadrillion credits. Eeeeeek! Think of the navy you could build for that.

Starships charge 1000 Cr/week to use them. We can assume groundside use will be cheaper, maybe 250 Cr/week (those physicians must be paid!). 200 billion x 52 weeks x 250 Cr = 2,600,000,000,000,000 Cr/year. Two point six quadrillion credits, why, it’s only pocket change in comparison to building the cold berths in the first place, right?

Now, let us add in the word “decades”. Decades = plural, and so we’re talking 20 years, minimum. 52 quadrillion credits. No, not much at all . . .

Let’s think about this for a few moments. Such grand costs, just to keep an unimaginably large population on ice? What’s the economic cost of not having those people be a part of the economy? It doesn’t bear thinking.

so by 1120 Norris would just be geting around to dealing with "the Toon problem"
“Toon” problem?

“Toon” problem?

All this talk of invasions reminds me of that awful British Invasion back in the 60's. How many people died in that one again?

All this talk of invasions reminds me of that awful British Invasion back in the 60's. How many people died in that one again?

RainOfSteel asked:
“Toon” problem? I’m drawing a blank here. Help!
ROS,

Oddly enough, that's the only thing 313 got right in his entire post.

Aslan have three fingers and a thumb, just like cartoon characters(1). Thus the Aslan are called 'Toons' as a derogatory term. Just like Zhos call the Imperials 'deadheads', the Imperials call the Zhos 'psikes', everyone calls the Vargr 'doggies', Varge call humans 'pinky', etc,. etc., and etc.

Sincerely,
Larsen

1 - Supposedly to make them easier and cheaper to draw.

RainOfSteel asked:
ROS,

Aslan have three fingers and a thumb, just like cartoon characters(1). Thus the Aslan are called 'Toons' as a derogatory term. Just like Zhos call the Imperials 'deadheads', the Imperials call the Zhos 'psikes', everyone calls the Vargr 'doggies', Varge call humans 'pinky', etc,. etc., and etc.

Sincerely,
Larsen

RainOfSteel asked:
ROS,

Sincerely,
Larsen

We have a 'Toon' problem in London:

Its everytime Arsenal thrash Newcastle and the Geordies cant believe that their team is not the daddy.

Its everytime Arsenal thrash Newcastle and the Geordies cant believe that their team is not the daddy.

Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
Which invasion would that be?
I'm guessing the one that had something to do with four guys from Liverpool and the like...(link)
file_23.gif

Casey

Back