• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Aspects of the Rebellion Era that snap people's disbelief suspenders

Originally posted by RainOfSteel:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by daryen:
Finally, don't forget that much of the space spinward is already occupied.
As the map shows, Spinward of Aslan space is unclaimed or independent, and beyond the unclaimed space, a little Spinward and a little Rimward are the &#147Aslan Client States&#148. Beyond that is a single polity in iphigenaia (I don't know what that is, but it could by bypassed).</font>[/QUOTE]Well, I wouldn't take the "big maps" as gospel. Consider that the maps don't show the Sword Worlds, the Darrians, the Floriani, or the Avalar. All of those are known to exist. Besides portions of the Floriani and Avalar, there are seven other polities in Beyond alone. If I remember right, there are several in Vanguard Reaches, too.

You would have to go all the way to Fulani or Theron to maybe find some open space. Hugging the Rift might work, as all of those shown polities are likely Aslan colonies. Moving coreward from there (until they reach Theron, at least) will be problematic as they would have to negotiate non-Aslan polities.

Of course, all of this wandering is completely unnecessary. There are still thousands and thousands of worlds within Heirate space that are lopop and lotech. They already have plenty of space as it is; there is no need for more space.

As the map shows, Spinward of Aslan space is unclaimed or independent, and beyond the unclaimed space, a little Spinward and a little Rimward are the &#147Aslan Client States&#148. Beyond that is a single polity in iphigenaia (I don't know what that is, but it could by bypassed).</font>[/QUOTE]Well, I wouldn't take the "big maps" as gospel. Consider that the maps don't show the Sword Worlds, the Darrians, the Floriani, or the Avalar. All of those are known to exist. Besides portions of the Floriani and Avalar, there are seven other polities in Beyond alone. If I remember right, there are several in Vanguard Reaches, too.

You would have to go all the way to Fulani or Theron to maybe find some open space. Hugging the Rift might work, as all of those shown polities are likely Aslan colonies. Moving coreward from there (until they reach Theron, at least) will be problematic as they would have to negotiate non-Aslan polities.

Of course, all of this wandering is completely unnecessary. There are still thousands and thousands of worlds within Heirate space that are lopop and lotech. They already have plenty of space as it is; there is no need for more space.

Originally posted by daryen:
I hadn&#146t thought of that, but it&#146s an excellent point.

I had tried to be clear, but apparently failed. I am making the base assumption that the ihatei were merely hangers-on. It is actual Aslan clan elements (and major elements at that) that are pursuing the invasion. It is full power Aslan naval fleets clashing with Imperial fleets. Ihatei would be carved up like a side of beef.
And I've also tried to be clear, but failed. I agree that a few dozen full Aslan clan fleets would make things really interesting for the Domain (though not permenently so; see below). But I don't believe they'll be there.

Let me try to put it another way. I believe that your average Aslan clan lord's priorities are as follows:

1) Get more land close to his own holdings. There are three reasons for that: a) It is cheaper and faster to ferry ihatei to worlds close by than to worlds dozens of parsecs away; b) Once the new lands are under control, they furnish the clan lord with more taxes which translates into more power and greater defensive ability; and c) If he is attacked by surprise while he is trying to conquer a world close by, he can get his forces back in time to do some good. Hopefully.

2) Get more land within practical trading distance of his chief holdings. It becomes slower and more expensive to ferry ihatei there, but it'll still be far quicker and cheaper than sending them a across the Great Rift and into the Imperium. Any forces stationed there are unable to support the forces stationed at home, but at least he'll still get some revenue from the colony. And while there's always the risk that his vassal there will rebel against him, at least his own forces are close enough to provide some deterrence.

3) Equip a bunch of ihatei with ships and send them off into the wild blue yonder where any colony they establish will be too far away to provide any real benefits for him.

And so far down the list that it's an imaginary number) Send the ships he need to defend his holdings so far away that they can't be recalled in time to defend him against an attack by a neighbor (who will have the same priorities as himself, i.e. prefer to conquer land close to his own holdings).

Without full Aslan clan fleets involved, all that would happen is a few dozen lopop worlds would suddenly find themselves with Aslan squatters.
And canon says that the invasion is done by ihatei. If you're reduced to changing canon anyway, why not change it to something a bit more plausible?

Well, obviously all Aslan forces are spread really thin since not a single UWP was changed as a result of the Aslan "invasion". No Aslan governments, no population increases, no nothing.
Nothing except the alignment change. Frankly, I think the simplest fix is to undo that.

And the DoD is in disarray. Everything ever written on it, says so. :rolleyes:
If by being in disarray you mean being invaded by Aslans and Vargr to the point where Norris has lost a substantial number of the high-population, high-tech worlds that he relies on to provide him with the means to stave off the upcoming Zhodani invasion, then you're right. But nowhere is it explained why he would sit still for that, year in and year out, twiddling his thumbs in Vilis subsector while his domain is quietly whittled down.

What I mean by not being in disarray is being under the firm control of a ruler who has proven himself in the past to be a good naval strategist and no mean politician.

Plus, you have to remember that the local Admiral was a moron. Yeah, I know, I don't really buy it myself, but there it is. Besides, I have read about stuff even more stupid than all that done in the real world.
I know enough about history not to object to idiots in high places to explain remarkably stupid acts. But I also know enough about history to know that you don't get infinite strings of idiots. Sheer attrition means that the idiots eventually gets replaced by competent people. Study any British war fought after a couple of decades of peace and you'll see what I mean.

So, Saint Norris wasn't infalible. He screwed up, worried about a nonexistant threat and ignored the real threat. It's not like that hasn't happened before. So Norris did it too; oh well.
Two things: The real threat is also part of the imaginary threat. Losing any world that makes a contribution to the war effort is Bad. And Norris isn't the only one involved. Even if none of the local dukes and admirals will contrive to keep some forces back, the planetay defenses of worlds such as Tobia, Glisten, and Aki will still remain in place.

No, three things: I don't believe it is logistically possible for Norris to keep all the forces of the Domain along the Zhodani border.

No, four things: I do not think that Norris, as described in previously published material, is fool enough to do as MT sources claim he does. That is, the description of Norris' actions IMO constitutes a canon conflict in itself.

The Beyond sector is full of populated worlds and interstellar governments. It has parts of nine(!) interstellar polities, plus the Aslan. It will take lots of effort to take them all out, too.
Further spinward than that. And BTW, the Floriani League is a tough nut to crack in itself, yet we're told that the Aslans did that too, in addition to invading the Domain.

See above on Norris. So he screwed up. Wouldn't be the first time, wouldn't be the last. Plus, no matter how stupid it is, we are stuck with it.
You must have read some stories about Norris that I haven't.

The real trick is to see if you can make a story hang with the given information, and make it at least close to reasonable.
I'm all for that and, believe me, I've tried.

And, if we are willing to assume a full Aslan invasion (i.e. not just ihatei) and assume that some worlds (Tobia) had a negotiated settlement, then we can have a story that works.
I'm not willing to assume a full Aslan invasion. And, as I said, if we have to change canon anyway, why not change it to something that hangs together?

Hans

Originally posted by Falkayn:
I do know that IMTU the Aslan are not the laughing stock they seem to be assume to be here,
I don't assume the Aslans to be a laughing stock. I assume them to be as they're described in AM1. As I've explained elsewhere, I think the Aslan clan lords are far to busy intriguing against each other to mount a credible invasion of the Domain of Deneb. I assure you that I wouldn't be laughing at all if I was living right next door to an Aslan clan...

and the Spinward Marches, whilst formidable, is not the uber-military power everyone seems to asume it must be.
It's not just the Spinward Marches, it's the entire Domain of Deneb. The Domain includes a number of high-tech, high-population worlds. Given rules for how much it costs to build and maintain warships and looking at historical wartime expenditures, it's trivial to figure out how much the Domain can muster given half a decade of being on a war footing. The only question is, really, if you believe that an archduke who is expecing an attack from the Zhodani any moment now would put his domain on a war footing or not.

The Aslan ihatei and Vargr corsairs are screwed either way, incidentally. If Norris isn't scared of the Zhodani (and as the months go by without a sniff of them, I submit that any initial anxiety will tend to abate), then he won't strip the border duchies of their forces. If he is really scared of the Zhodani, the Domain will ramp up to truly staggering force levels and he'll have to station some of his forces away from the Zhodani border, i.e. in the border duchies.

Hans

The really tough part, as noted above, to explain away is why the Aslan didn&#146t just go off to Spinward and out-build the Imperium?
Because the number of ihatei that the Aslan Hierate sends across the Great Rift is truly minuscule and the ones that do cross fail more often than they succeed? Have a look at the extent of the Transrift portion of the Hierate prior to the Rebellion. It covers six subsectors. The Aslans first crossed the Great Rift in -1044. That means that it took them more than 2000 years to cover six subsectors without anyone to defend them. And they're supposed to've covered another 6-8 subsectors in another two years?

Of course, the independent Aslan states to rimward covers another six subsectors or so, but Idon't really think that improves the plausibility of the invasion.

Although I count it at 16 jumps to cross the Great Rift, so 32 weeks standard travel, or so (and that with a J-5 ship).
The typical ihatei squadron are said to be jump-3.

Hans

I'd always assumed fairly large fleets were kept around the SM because it was toe to toe with the Vargr and the Zhodani (and, further away, the Aslan). IMTU, anyway, it receives substantial Imperial-level funding for its fleets, because the Spinward Marches is, I can't remember exactly, 6th or 7th poorest sector in the Imperium.
I've always assumed that the Corridor Fleet is funded entirely from further coreward and that the Imperial forces in the border duchies of the Domain of Deneb were beefed up by reinforcements from the rear duchies (the ones in Deneb and Reft sectors that lies behind the border duchies). This is based on the logistical problems involved in supporting forces stationed many parsecs away.

Hans

Originally posted by rancke:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Without full Aslan clan fleets involved, all that would happen is a few dozen lopop worlds would suddenly find themselves with Aslan squatters.
And canon says that the invasion is done by ihatei. If you're reduced to changing canon anyway, why not change it to something a bit more plausible?

Well, obviously all Aslan forces are spread really thin since not a single UWP was changed as a result of the Aslan "invasion". No Aslan governments, no population increases, no nothing.
Nothing except the alignment change. Frankly, I think the simplest fix is to undo that.
</font>[/QUOTE]The problem is that I'm trapped.

I completely agree that the ihatei couldn't do what they are described as doing. Actually, it's more than that. The ihatei wouldn't do what they are described as doing. It goes completely against the character of the ihatei to pick fights with someone they can't beat.

So, I have two choices. I can ignore the invasions all together, or I can try and figure out a way to make them work (or at least get closer to working).

I freely admit (and have probably stated before) that in MTU, I would ignore the invasion. There would be some dust-ups (just to pay homage to the published history). There would be a few unpopulated (or very low or very primitive) worlds with squatters. There would be several worlds with negotiated settlements. But there would be no "invasion".

However, in the OTU, we are stuck with the invasions. Since I have to use the TNE history as much as the MT history, I just can't toss out the invasions. The invasions are there.

As for using full Aslan forces, I don't really see that as a true "change" to canon. We already know that clan forces are afoot. The fight against the Floriani and the Glorious Empire are both lead by full clan fleets, not by the ihatei. It isn't much of an extension to assume the clan fleets stay involved. Actually, it would seem to me that it is highly UNlikey they would have backed off.

Additionally, the extent of the invasion is pretty nebulous, too. Sure, the IE showed the invasion going all the way into the Marches. But then TD20 (and MTJ) pretty much shows the invasion stalling out in the Trojan Reaches.

So I see wiggle room around the extent of the invasion and the participants of the invasion. Unfortunately, I see no wiggle room around there actually being an invasion.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Without full Aslan clan fleets involved, all that would happen is a few dozen lopop worlds would suddenly find themselves with Aslan squatters.

I completely agree that the ihatei couldn't do what they are described as doing. Actually, it's more than that. The ihatei wouldn't do what they are described as doing. It goes completely against the character of the ihatei to pick fights with someone they can't beat.

So, I have two choices. I can ignore the invasions all together, or I can try and figure out a way to make them work (or at least get closer to working).

I freely admit (and have probably stated before) that in MTU, I would ignore the invasion. There would be some dust-ups (just to pay homage to the published history). There would be a few unpopulated (or very low or very primitive) worlds with squatters. There would be several worlds with negotiated settlements. But there would be no "invasion".

However, in the OTU, we are stuck with the invasions. Since I have to use the TNE history as much as the MT history, I just can't toss out the invasions. The invasions are there.

As for using full Aslan forces, I don't really see that as a true "change" to canon. We already know that clan forces are afoot. The fight against the Floriani and the Glorious Empire are both lead by full clan fleets, not by the ihatei. It isn't much of an extension to assume the clan fleets stay involved. Actually, it would seem to me that it is highly UNlikey they would have backed off.

Additionally, the extent of the invasion is pretty nebulous, too. Sure, the IE showed the invasion going all the way into the Marches. But then TD20 (and MTJ) pretty much shows the invasion stalling out in the Trojan Reaches.

So I see wiggle room around the extent of the invasion and the participants of the invasion. Unfortunately, I see no wiggle room around there actually being an invasion.

The problem is that I'm trapped.
Why? It's not your job to fix errors in the Traveller canon (any more than it is mine). You're no more obliged to support parts of canon that you don't think make sense than I am. In fact, I didn't realize that this was an issue at all. I thought we were discussing if the MT canon as it stands could be made to work. (And don't think I haven't tried to make it.)

Again, why? I mean, it's not that I don't think it would be a laudable achievement to figure out a way to make them work (I just don't think it is possible). But why are you reduced to those two choices? You're not writing MT material, are you?

That's pretty close to how I would handle it.

Well, as far as that goes, the UWPs in Regency Sourcebook show the Domain of Deneb controlling pretty mucch the same worlds in the Trojan Reach in 1202 as they control in 1117. There are no Aslan alignment codes in Glisten or Trin's Veil, Tobia is a Domain world, Gazulin is a Domain world; about the only difference is a few extra A:X notes. In fact, for all you can prove if you look only at the picture of the Domain of Deneb in 1202 presented in RS, the Rebellion years went exactly as you and I have talked about: The Aslans took advantage of the situation to invade the Buffer Zone, but they didn't get into the Imperium. (It's the four coreward subsectors in Deneb lost to the Vargr that's the real problem with the RS, IMO).

As for using full Aslan forces, I don't really see that as a true "change" to canon.
I guess we've identified the place where you and I have to agree to disagree. To me the concept of massive clan forces making their way across the Great Rift and making war a hundred parsecs from their home is as much a violation of previously published material as anything else you can mention.

We already know that clan forces are afoot. The fight against the Floriani and the Glorious Empire are both lead by full clan fleets, not by the ihatei. It isn't much of an extension to assume the clan fleets stay involved. Actually, it would seem to me that it is highly UNlikey they would have backed off.
Agreed, but I think it's highly unlikely that they'd be involved in the first place. The Glorious Empire I don't have a problem with (After all, there are six subsectors worth of established Hierate worlds transrift. That does give a little wiggle room). I'm dubious about the fall of the Florian League -- they've been keeping the Aslans at bay for half a millenium and they have several high-tech, high-population worlds to provide them with plenty of muscle -- but I suppose that in a spirit of compromise I could swallow that ;) [*]. But why keep an invasion of the Domain that is highly implausible and didn't leave any lasting impression?

Hans

[*] Not, mind you, that I claim any right to accept or reject anything, except in a purely personal capacity.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />As for using full Aslan forces, I don't really see that as a true "change" to canon.
I guess we've identified the place where you and I have to agree to disagree. To me the concept of massive clan forces making their way across the Great Rift and making war a hundred parsecs from their home is as much a violation of previously published material as anything else you can mention.</font>[/QUOTE]Oops! Wait a minute!

I am purely talking about forces that are already "here". There is no great migration from across the Rift. This is simply the forces and clans available who are already on "this" side of the Rift.

The clans on the far side of the Rift wouldn't give a rat's @$$ about the DoD. They may not even really know the DoD (as such) even exists. The only clans I have involved in the whole things are those that are right there and already immediately involved.

And they should have plenty of economic power. Just in the Trojan reaches they have TL D worlds with 80 billion and 90 billion Aslan. They have two other hi-pop worlds of TL E. They don't need anyone from across the Rift in order to be a huge thorn in the side of the DoD.

Again, I am only really talking about "local" Aslan here. That is why I have continuously refered to "Aslan clans" and not the Heirate. The Heirate is probably barely even aware of what was going on, and probably would have disapproved of it.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />We already know that clan forces are afoot. The fight against the Floriani and the Glorious Empire are both led by full clan fleets, not by the ihatei. It isn't much of an extension to assume the clan fleets stay involved. Actually, it would seem to me that it is highly UNlikey they would have backed off.
Agreed, but I think it's highly unlikely that they'd be involved in the first place. The Glorious Empire I don't have a problem with (After all, there are six subsectors worth of established Hierate worlds transrift. That does give a little wiggle room). I'm dubious about the fall of the Florian League -- they've been keeping the Aslans at bay for half a millenium and they have several high-tech, high-population worlds to provide them with plenty of muscle -- but I suppose that in a spirit of compromise I could swallow that ;) But why keep an invasion of the Domain that is highly implausible and didn't leave any lasting impression?</font>[/QUOTE]The Floriani didn't fall. The Floriani lost their second most important world (Vadada) to the Aslan, and four or five other minor worlds. That's it. The vast majority of the Florian League held out just fine and was never conquered by the Aslan. I have always assumed that the Florian League borders shown in TD20 was as bad as their situation got.

And there was a lasting impact. There are a small handful of worlds [quick count shows four] in the Glisten subsector that retained Aslan populations, governments, and names, even though they belong to the Regency. There are several such Regency worlds in the Trojan Reaches. There is no set of human populated "buffer" worlds. In the RSB you have the Regency, (presumably) the Floriani, and almost all the rest of the Trojan Reaches is controlled by the Aslan.

So there was a lasting impact.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />As for using full Aslan forces, I don't really see that as a true "change" to canon.
I guess we've identified the place where you and I have to agree to disagree. To me the concept of massive clan forces making their way across the Great Rift and making war a hundred parsecs from their home is as much a violation of previously published material as anything else you can mention.</font>[/QUOTE]Oops! Wait a minute!

I am purely talking about forces that are already "here". There is no great migration from across the Rift. This is simply the forces and clans available who are already on "this" side of the Rift.

The clans on the far side of the Rift wouldn't give a rat's @$$ about the DoD. They may not even really know the DoD (as such) even exists. The only clans I have involved in the whole things are those that are right there and already immediately involved.

And they should have plenty of economic power. Just in the Trojan reaches they have TL D worlds with 80 billion and 90 billion Aslan. They have two other hi-pop worlds of TL E. They don't need anyone from across the Rift in order to be a huge thorn in the side of the DoD.

Again, I am only really talking about "local" Aslan here. That is why I have continuously refered to "Aslan clans" and not the Heirate. The Heirate is probably barely even aware of what was going on, and probably would have disapproved of it.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />We already know that clan forces are afoot. The fight against the Floriani and the Glorious Empire are both led by full clan fleets, not by the ihatei. It isn't much of an extension to assume the clan fleets stay involved. Actually, it would seem to me that it is highly UNlikey they would have backed off.
Agreed, but I think it's highly unlikely that they'd be involved in the first place. The Glorious Empire I don't have a problem with (After all, there are six subsectors worth of established Hierate worlds transrift. That does give a little wiggle room). I'm dubious about the fall of the Florian League -- they've been keeping the Aslans at bay for half a millenium and they have several high-tech, high-population worlds to provide them with plenty of muscle -- but I suppose that in a spirit of compromise I could swallow that ;) But why keep an invasion of the Domain that is highly implausible and didn't leave any lasting impression?</font>[/QUOTE]The Floriani didn't fall. The Floriani lost their second most important world (Vadada) to the Aslan, and four or five other minor worlds. That's it. The vast majority of the Florian League held out just fine and was never conquered by the Aslan. I have always assumed that the Florian League borders shown in TD20 was as bad as their situation got.

And there was a lasting impact. There are a small handful of worlds [quick count shows four] in the Glisten subsector that retained Aslan populations, governments, and names, even though they belong to the Regency. There are several such Regency worlds in the Trojan Reaches. There is no set of human populated "buffer" worlds. In the RSB you have the Regency, (presumably) the Floriani, and almost all the rest of the Trojan Reaches is controlled by the Aslan.

The story of the Glorious Empire might be worth telling - it was an Aslan break away slaver empire that kept its human inhabitants in squallor. In some respects it was an offence to all things Aslan - it is entirely conceivable that the rimward clans of the TR decided to move on the Glorious Empire a long time before Strephon's death and had made long contact with resistance within the Empire.

OK - that's not in the three sources that describe the Glorious Empire but its not not mentioned and its also implausible and it makes its swift fall very plausible.

Then just why is it that the Aslan apparently did not go rimward, much softer targets, plenty of worlds, no big imperial fleet to interfear. What is there are mixed client states - both Aslan and Human, little polities and independent worlds. What kept them out.

If they did go that way then there must have been an awful lot of Aslan population pressure.

The story of the Glorious Empire might be worth telling - it was an Aslan break away slaver empire that kept its human inhabitants in squallor. In some respects it was an offence to all things Aslan - it is entirely conceivable that the rimward clans of the TR decided to move on the Glorious Empire a long time before Strephon's death and had made long contact with resistance within the Empire.

OK - that's not in the three sources that describe the Glorious Empire but its not not mentioned and its also implausible and it makes its swift fall very plausible.

Back