• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Att'n Firefly fans

Yeah, Mal infuriated me in the pilot episode by bickering with the Simon while Kaylee was dying on the floor in front of him - it gave me the impression that he didn't actually care much about his crew, and was a blithering idiot to boot. It took me quite a while to put that aside.

Hi, everyone.

This is my first post here, but the topic is perfect for it. I have not played Traveller since High School (20 years ago). It was the first thing I thought of when I saw Firefly on TV.

I will be running my first T20 game a week from today.

Mistimp

P.S. Having watched the entire series now (got the DVDs! :cool: ), I feel I must revise some of my earlier statements -- no I wouldn't have kicked any of the cast out, no the western elements don't bother me, no I don't know why I didn't love this series immediately (I do now!
). Three cheers for Firefly!

Originally posted by kafka47:
paragraph.gif
Hunter, NEWSFLASH, NEWSFLASH...get some T20 into Joss' hands and we might have our first Traveller movie! As in a private email he expressed great interest in a Traveller related movie. He wants to know more about Traveller and how he could incorporate these concepts into Firefly ;)
Or even a copy of FFE 000 Clasic Traveller Reprint, The Basic Books (1-3). "The Olympia Incident" in the begining could easily be a Firefly episode. The book is smaller and less intimidating to anyone who might not have so much spare time.

Takei,

I don't have the QKL reprint of the Basic Books 1-3 that you are referring to. But, how are the illustrations, I get the impression that a picture would say a thousand worlds to Joss. [typo intended]

BTW, it seems like the above mentioned address is the only means which Joss wants to communicate, no doubt to prevent the hundreds of Firefly fans telling him how his movie ought to be. But, at least it would seem he is open/partial to the type of Traveller very much reflected in CT...minus the Aliens and hard gritty realism.

So here's hoping Traveller the television miniseries could be launched with him at the helm. I wonder if Marc has ever been approached by the TV/Movie mogals...

Aside from the cover and the symbol for Ziru Sirka it contains the above mentioned short story by MJD and the contents of CT Books 1-3 2nd edition reprinted as is (i.e. no new illustrations) one after the other. It's a tad less wide than the original LBB's due to having been printed to fit into the GRIP Traveller box. Very handy for reference or play IMO and it'd be great if they could somehow reprint books 4-7 (8) this way. I think it has an introduction similar to the one in the CT Books 1-8 Far Future FBB reprint.

/me shrugs
I thought Firefly was fairly gritty esp. for a tv show and from what I understand the movie will be more so.

As for Traveller: the (Mini) Series all well and good but why would Joss want to do two nigh identical tv shows one right after the other esp. when Firefly has proven it can sell DVDs while Traveller isn't a proven TV / movie property? At least Angel was a spinoff and could count on familiarity with BTVS. If anything I'd suspect he'd focus on Firefly and then do something different but that's just me.

Casey

Aparently, the Serenity movie deal (with sequels, if successful) does not allow another Firefly TV series. If Joss really is interested in making a Traveller series, maybe it's so he can get around that restriction...

Remember, when I say Traveller, it might just be that he will incorporate more Traveller into Firefly. To undertake a full TV/movie deal would entail negociations with Marc.

That is why I wonder if Marc has sold or talked about TV/Movie rights for Traveller...

I'm under the impression that Joss wanted Firefly to look "lived in" like the Alien Trilogy. So, if Aliens is a template is it similar to Traveller? I'd say Yes, except they use sleeper ships in Aliens.

I'd say our Firefly friends appeared to not be using sleeper ships or had a significant increase in tech beyond the sleeper ship era. But I haven't seen anything looking like jump space transit. Heck in the bountyhunter episode they were "on their way somewhere" and on the outside of the hull in a few scenes. So, perhaps its stutterwarp but its not jump travel. Of course for game purposes we can use whatever we want.

Savage

So here's hoping Traveller the television miniseries could be launched with him at the helm. I wonder if Marc has ever been approached by the TV/Movie mogals...
It would certainly be spooky seeing TV episodes of CT adventures we played years ago :)

Casey answered the question about the FFE 000 reprint, and I must agree that it's a very nice book. It shows what can be achieved in 160 pages.

I have no doubt that the reprint is a beautiful product is on a list of things that I would like to buy.

However, if one is going to summarize and inspire people who don't role play (Joss was very non-commital about that issue) how is better to introduce them into the Traveller universe? Or present Traveller in a gritty, realistic universe. Even veteran players like myself find it increasingly difficult to wade through tables and rules.

However, Fiction, cinematic narrative (like in the Traveller Adventure) and art would prompt Joss to probably want to know more and more...and that is when I would suggest something like the reprints.

For now, perhaps sending Joss the main T20 rulebook and Gateway to Destiny would be enough to inspire more Firefly/Traveller-like crossovers.

Now to see the Traveller Adventure on the big/small screen would be a real feast for the eyes...save, the Vargr costume, it is completely feasible with today's technology to make it cheap and professional looking.

However, Fiction, cinematic narrative (like in the Traveller Adventure) and art would prompt Joss to probably want to know more and more...and that is when I would suggest something like the reprints.
This was exactly my reasoning behind suggesting FFE 000. The Olympia Incident in the front of the book is great for conveying the Traveller feel. There is high tech around, but the 'adventure' consists of running away cross- country in an ATV. I was also thinking that someone with a busy work schedule is more likely to spare the time to read through a 160 page digest sized book than a couple of 400+ page A4 hardbacks.
I don't hold out much hope, but we can certainly dream of seeing something on the screen!

I'm back...

Concerning "Firefly", I watched every episode (except the first one they aired - forgot it was coming on :( ) when they originally aired. I have to admit, they mystified me at first. Then I discovered that they had been aired out of order.

Now that they're being released on DVD, maybe I can get a chance to see them in their proper order.

As for the western feel, it didn't bother me a bit! It just seems natural that new colonies are going to develop in a fashion that makes use of their available resources and technology. If you don't have a "laser-plow", then you might as well use a good sturdy horse or mule, and a little sweat of your own brow.

Sometimes, the old ways really ARE better...

Originally posted by Capt. Michael T. Gideon:
I'm back...
WB!

Concerning "Firefly", I watched every episode (except the first one they aired - forgot it was coming on :( ) when they originally aired. I have to admit, they mystified me at first. Then I discovered that they had been aired out of order.
Don't feel bad 1st episode was a quick swipe at an intro after Fox nixed opening with the pilot... very confusing if you missed The Train Job (aka the 2nd pilot)

Kudos to you if you managed to see all the rest as it was a complete crapshoot as to whether they were going to air on any given friday night.

Now that they're being released on DVD, maybe I can get a chance to see them in their proper order.

much much much better in proper order - also you get the eps Fox couldn't be bothered to show - which are among the better ones imho.

I'm very happy to have them on DVD

As for the western feel, it didn't bother me a bit! It just seems natural that new colonies are going to develop in a fashion that makes use of their available resources and technology. If you don't have a "laser-plow", then you might as well use a good sturdy horse or mule, and a little sweat of your own brow.
The nice thing about horses is that, if you treat them right, they will usually make more horses before they wear out. Can't say the same for laser plows ;)

Sometimes, the old ways really ARE better...
Right tool for the job is always best......

--michael

Something like The Imperial Fringe (CT Adventure 0) would be a better intro to the OTU than the CT rulebooks (which have very little background info).

Back