• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Book 3: Scouts

Border Reiver

SOC-14 1K
As my other post drowned in the noise here we go again;
My copy arrived today and for those interested here are my first impressions.

The first thing noticed on viewing the contents page is that there is nothing in this book about world generation or planetary cultures. This is no Book 6 rehash or updated World Builders' Handbook. This may disappoint some but what is here is very exciting.

We start with some Scout careers. Nothing spectacular here but the addition of the SpecOps Scout is fair enough. In addition we have Contact; Courier, Survey and Exploration Scouts. There does not appear to be any new skills involved.

Next we have Scout Mission. Nice. What happens to those detached duty scouts when they call in to a planet with a scout base? Find out here. An excellent source for a few adventure ideas. There is also a nice section on Scout bases (though I feel the A-E classification may be a might confusing for some)with a completely written up base with personnel sketches.

A massive equipment and ships section with all sorts of goodies some of which even come with a "Not Available in the Third Imperium" caveat. Modular ships, various sensors, sniffers and vehicles. Some great stuff here. There may be a couple of lemons hiding in there but nothing screams at me.

There is a small section on system cartography which seems to be an abstract extended system generation with little or no science behind it. Handy for an off the cuff system detailing but the hard core, hard science obsessives will dismiss this out of hand. In the same chapter is some nice chrome in the form of First Contact and Survey protocols.

Next a chapter on the IISS. This is not a rehash of old material such as found in other 3rd Imperium works, this contains much that would be considered new background. Love it or hate it folks.

Lastly a large chapter on survival. looks interesting but I've only skimmed this and am yet to get a firm impression.

Overall I'm pretty leased with this at first; some nice art, plenty of content and looks to be an overall winner for me. Some minor negatives (some bleed on bold type, becomes fuzzy). As my group are now using MGT with houserules this is a nice addition. Next Please!

Ding!, another week. I have mine now, had a quick look through before I left for work.
<<Rant Mode Engaged>>
Hmm, I think they found the guy who wrote Iron Crowns critical tables and turned him loose on the event tables. Saw an awful lot of "you get a pile of gold, but it's cursed, you get a friend, but they hate you" sorta listings. Not sure just how likely it would be to actually make a long term scout out of this book with having more enemies than a Pirate could possibly get.:nonono:

The tables make the scouts out as conspiracy/corruption/betrayering academies for the darkest and worst of the Imperiums.:eek:o:

Great Ghu, I haven't gotten past the c-gen for a look through and I feel like I need a cranial brillo pad scrub down already. Either I have had a lionized image of the Heroes of Imperium version of the IISS burned into my mind set, or I was sold a bill of goods. <<Rant Mode Disengaged>>

I really hope the rest of the book is worth my time and money and long patient waiting for it. At first blush I couldn't defend or object to even one of Supplement 4's CT rants.:(

I picked it up today like it overall so far have not gotten deep into it but overall looks like a useful addition. Sad about the lack of extended system generation but happy for the inclusion of NPC scouts and adventures and ships.

Ding!, another week. I have mine now, had a quick look through before I left for work.
<<Rant Mode Engaged>>
Hmm, I think they found the guy who wrote Iron Crowns critical tables and turned him loose on the event tables. Saw an awful lot of "you get a pile of gold, but it's cursed, you get a friend, but they hate you" sorta listings. Not sure just how likely it would be to actually make a long term scout out of this book with having more enemies than a Pirate could possibly get.:nonono:

The tables make the scouts out as conspiracy/corruption/betrayering academies for the darkest and worst of the Imperiums.:eek:o:

Great Ghu, I haven't gotten past the c-gen for a look through and I feel like I need a cranial brillo pad scrub down already. Either I have had a lionized image of the Heroes of Imperium version of the IISS burned into my mind set, or I was sold a bill of goods. <<Rant Mode Disengaged>>

I really hope the rest of the book is worth my time and money and long patient waiting for it. At first blush I couldn't defend or object to even one of Supplement 4's CT rants.:(

I don't think Loz wrote for IC, but I admit, it isn't starfleet or "the right stuff"- but it is the extended chargen as with Merc. Possibly it's a cultural thing - the Brits are a bit more cynical about "noble explorers" ever since colonialism fell out of favor and the histories were opened. Me, as a Yank, I'm still in love with astronauts & cosmonauts. Little confession -I didn't use the extended (not expanded) chargen in the original trav, and probably won't for MGT, so I can't comment on it, really. is it really that iffy ? My scan on it suggested that there were lots of ways that corruption could be dealt with -and not always by embracing it.

Well, get past chargen and see what you think. There's lots of stuff in there.

Hmmm ... people who work alone much of the time, without the checks
and balances of an organization's tight structure, without much super-
vision ... in real life these are the ideal targets for corruption and other
attempts to win them over to the slightly darker side ... :)

Hmmm ... people who work alone much of the time, without the checks
and balances of an organization's tight structure, without much super-
vision ... in real life these are the ideal targets for corruption and other
attempts to win them over to the slightly darker side ... :)

And don't forget that the Scouts run the X-boat Service, the biggest boondoggle in the history of mankind[*].

Hans

[*] I know, I know, that's not explicit canon; it's my personal inferrence from canon.

Hans

OKay, I finally had the chance to curl up with scouts last week. The rest of the book past chargen was well worth the wait and lupens I spent on it. I still feel like I need a shower every time I look over the chargen section.

Hmm, I think they found the guy who wrote Iron Crowns critical tables and turned him loose on the event tables. Saw an awful lot of "you get a pile of gold, but it's cursed, you get a friend, but they hate you" sorta listings. Not sure just how likely it would be to actually make a long term scout out of this book with having more enemies than a Pirate could possibly get.

Having sat down with a couple of friends and rolled up a bunch of characters…it is damn hard to be a scout and stay in for more than a term or two. I think we had four or five tries, half washed out in their first term (usually with horrible injuries) and the rest after their second - and I think one of those even had a mishap, but one that allowed him to switch branches instead of dropping out entirely.

We also ended up with a surprising number of pirates - apparently business has been bad in the Imperium of late.

Yes! Finally was able to find a copy at a local game store. My first impression while flipping through it was WOW! This looks really good. Now I'm going to sit back and see if my second impression is the same.

Ok, I still haven't gotten a chance to read this, only skim it. Things I note as bad about it: art, printing, and typos/proofreading errors.

The art is generally unimaginative, with few of the illustrations conveying a sense of high adventure. Most are printed in very murky tones that are unpleasant to my eye (caveat, I'm partially color-blind so maybe they look better to the general public). The starship illustrations, when compared to works I've seen distributed on this site and on others for free, are downright dreadful.

The printer seems to be heavy-handed with the ink. The second line on every even page is appears to have experienced some sort of printing error which has caused that line to appear either smudged or bold.

And... found some typos. Not as many as I've noted in other MGT books, but still.

That's the bad stuff that jumped out at me. I suspect more remains to be found upon reading.

How does it balance out against the good, you ask? Well, I still really like this book. I think there is plenty good in here to balance out the items I mentioned above. For instance, there's a whole sample Scout Base worth of characters. And the characters have real stats! None of this "no attribute below 7" crap! That's was very freshing to see.

And of course deck plans out the wazoo! I find the ships and the plans very appealing. So much so that they really deserve some top-notch art to back them up.

Don't get to the point of lurking in the bushs,waiting for the postman, it's a federal offence, and the neighbors will talk..... Just grab your airraft and skip over to the IISS comm hub and file a complaint, that way you'll be full of piss and vinegar after they give you the run around. What Doctor?,; excuse time for my meds....:rofl:

Back