• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Brainstorming thread: Sector History

Sounds good so far Rain of Steel.

So here are some of my thoughts as I read throught the various threads. Keep in mind I don't have all the source material that you all have so this is truly in the classic brainstorming ideas vein.

1) So far we have a few known races in the sector that are Canon. I think we should definately add a couple more (I know Gruffty has posted 1) and also create their histories in the sector, with much of the sector isolated, and expansion not coming until later I personally see no reason some of those island clusters or individual worlds can't be inhabited by something else? or?

2)I was thinking a little about fluff. I thought it would be cool to have a world where during the long night a Battleship or some other large warship with plenty of people had taken the desperate measure of piracy to keep going, eventually without any logistical support they put into orbit around a habitable system far from the others. Shipping everyone planetside they sealed up the battleship which continues to orbit the planet and eventually the colony degraded to a primative level (maybe with a few "magic" tech items still functioning).

-W.

-1690 to -1500 Terran Mercantile Community establishes waystations through Spica to reach the Hive Federation.

-700 to -200 sleeper ships from the Old Earth Union sent out to trailing to colonise habitable planets. Each sleeper ship mission had its own agenda. Some were corporate sponsored exercises to more fully develop waystations, others were driven by individual families, adventurers, or other crackpots.
Some consisted of fleets of ships, others were solitary vessels.
Many of these missions succeeded, while others came into conflict with existing colonies, remanents from the ROM.
Some were never heard from again.
Over the centuries several of these colonies flourished and started to develop adjacent systems.

I've started three sticky threads for people to post timeline entries - one for Solomani, one for Hivers, and one for other races/events in the sector.

Please try to make the entries you post there relevant to Spica - feel free to explain background, but remember that we're not so much interested in what's going on elsewhere as in how what is going on elsewhere affects Spica.

Please discuss any timeline entries in a separate thread (eg the Sector History thread, or make a new one) - we just want final timeline entries in this thread! (ie the threads I just made aren't discussion threads, they're for reference only).

I wonder if it was contact with humans that prompted the Hivers to start to expand spinward into Spica...

It does mention that the Hive Federation includes humans...

Lords, There are curently 13 Threads related to this topic... We need to:

A: Start assigning people or groups of people to work on specific aspects... (History, Graphics, Data, ETC.) I move that Lord Mal be made editor overall, or co-editor with a group.

B: We need to Focus! Consolidate these topics ito two or three threads...

C: We need to make a move to get a place on COTI to post map roughs still... is this possible? file size will be kept low...

Something Sigg posted on the Solomani thread:

-1511 Terran merchants contact Darrian (MT IE - by implication they can reach the Hivers too, they are nearer than the Darrians)
Of course, just because they headed out to Darrian doesn't necessarily mean that they necessarily headed in completely the other direction too. Heading Coreward from Terra is a path well travelled, since the Imperium is/was there. But heading to trailing is heading into terra incognita...

Originally posted by Baron Saarthuran von Gushiddan:
[QB] Lords, There are curently 13 Threads related to this topic...
I'm not seeing this as a problem, particularly since we have a whole board to ourselves. The more threads, the better - it means more discussion is going on and it means that things can be more easily separated into their topics.

A: Start assigning people or groups of people to work on specific aspects... (History, Graphics, Data, ETC.) I move that Lord Mal be made editor overall, or co-editor with a group.
Well, I'm kinda that already, being Moderator of the board. I figured Gruffy could also be some kind of organiser/editor since he's been posting all these plans for the topics, but he's off on holiday forthe next couple of weeks so I'll be doing that instead.

I'm starting to suspect it might be better if myself and Flynn looked after generating the UWPs for the whole sector. That would keep things more consistent. I'm just talking about the number generating here - people writing up pocket empires etc can just say they want X number of hipop worlds or whatever and we'll put them in. More on this later though.

Otherwise, it's probably too early in the project to start dividing other things up. There's no rush here, let's take our time to sort things out.

B: We need to Focus! Consolidate these topics ito two or three threads...
I started the Timeline threads so we can get some hard data down.

I do NOT want to discourage people from starting new threads though (if anything, I think we need more so we can track topics more easily). There is no need to be economical with starting threads.

C: We need to make a move to get a place on COTI to post map roughs still... is this possible? file size will be kept low...
That isn't going to happen unless Hunter says it will - I've asked and not heard back. Frankly, I think Hunter has done enough for us by setting up this board, let's not push it. For now people should just post things in accessible areas of their own websites (that don't require passwords or group membership to look at).

Emm, the Spinward Marches were relatively unknown territory to the 1st and 2nd Imperium weren't they?
First contact between Vilani Traders and the Zhodani was in -2000, during the Long Night.
Terrans know the hivers are there, and the Hivers are unaffected by the Long Night so they are worth trading with.
Spica is 2 sectors away, through Alpha Crucis, Darrian is 4 sectors away going through the great rift, 8 if you go through Vland, Corridor, etc.

Makes sence to me that long range merchant explorers would be more than capable of reaching Spica if they can reach Darrian ;)

Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
[QB] Emm, the Spinward Marches were relatively unknown territory to the 1st and 2nd Imperium weren't they?
You're right - yes, they were unknown
. The maps on the inside cover of the MT Referee's Manual shows the Marches to be way outside the Imperium or RoM.

Makes sence to me that long range merchant explorers would be more than capable of reaching Spica if they can reach Darrian ;)
I'm not questioning whether they're capable of doing so, I'm questioning whether they would choose to go there. Though as you said, they know about the Hivers by then, so I can now believe they'd want to head in that direction

I wonder if it was contact with humans that prompted the Hivers to start to expand spinward into Spica...

It does mention that the Hive Federation includes humans...
The CT:Alien Module on Hivers mentions words to the effect that the human worlds of the Federation to Rimward are "quite unlike any humans found elsewhere in Charted Space".

I'm under the impression (from the GT AR3 book) that the Hive Federation humans are minor human races that got planted there by the Ancients, not Solomani colonists. (that's not to say that there aren't a couple of Sollie colonies that did make it to Hiver space though. But most are going to be indigenous to the Hive Federation)

-1690 to -1500 Terran Mercantile Community establishes waystations through Spica to reach the Hive Federation.

-700 to -200 sleeper ships from the Old Earth Union sent out to trailing to colonise habitable planets. Each sleeper ship mission had its own agenda. Some were corporate sponsored exercises to more fully develop waystations, others were driven by individual families, adventurers, or other crackpots.
Some consisted of fleets of ships, others were solitary vessels.
Many of these missions succeeded, while others came into conflict with existing colonies, remanents from the ROM.
Some were never heard from again.
Over the centuries several of these colonies flourished and started to develop adjacent systems.
Sleeper ships launched in -700 to -200? I can't seem to find that entry in the combined timeline.

I only locate:

-700: Terran sleeper ships arrive in Hinterworlds sector, occupying coreward rimward portions. Challenge #39, GDW, 1989, p. H02.

These vesels would have been launched before the Interstellar Wars, and relate to Spica only very indirectly.

However, in any event, that period was 800 years after where I got to before I was so sleepy I was falling out of my chair.

I've seen the other entry on the TMC. It seems equally interesting that so ambitious, long range, and expensive of a project was underway during the period of the heaviest Long Night. This is the worst period of the *absence* of interstellar merchant activity, not an increase. As CT:Alien Module 6: Solomani: Page 8, says: "The Long Night began in earnest at a point historians call 9 PM. Twilight was over; the true darkness had begun." 9 PM is -1526. What the heck is a merchant company doing all this expansion in the grip of the spiral *toward* 9 PM?

Originally posted by Malenfant:
I'm under the impression (from the GT AR3 book) that the Hive Federation humans are minor human races that got planted there by the Ancients, not Solomani colonists. (that's not to say that there aren't a couple of Sollie colonies that did make it to Hiver space though. But most are going to be indigenous to the Hive Federation)
Yes.
The Alien Module 7 calls them *all* minor races. Sorry if anyone thought I was talking about Solomani colonists, but the area *rimward* of the Federation is to far away through Hiver controlled space, and the Hiver activities were done there long before the Solomani discovered the jump drive.

Originally posted by RainOfSteel:
Effects of the Long Night on the Solomani Region.
While this is all well and good, I think it's just a teensy bit too much detail for what we need here
:cool: .

Pre-Collapse Expansion Thoughts and Spica Colony Thoughts
OK, this is more directly useful

Circa -2204, the Solomani were totally occupied with taking over the First Imperium and turning it into the Rule of Man. Expansion toward Spica would have been minimal.
Agreed. They wouldn't even have had any reason to expand in that direction anyway.

With exploratory *initial* contact only coming in -1802, it would seem to suggest that any settlements created by sleeper ship from before the Jump Drive (say, 3-6 worlds all told throughout the entirety of the Sector) did *not* have sufficient technology to go visiting the Hivers, or be visited (publicly) by the Hivers in turn.
Why do we want to have settlements created by sleeper ships in the Spica sector?

So, this leads me to lean toward believing settlement in the area by humans is spare to nearly non-existant in -1802. Now, with explorers coming through in -1802, and settlers hot on their heals through -1774 (which is when the effects of the Long Night are first felt).
I think the last thing that people would want to do is embark on a trip into unknown space around -1774. I'd guess that chances are people won't have a clue what's going to hit them when the Long Night falls - after all, at the time there's no historical precedent for a total collapse of the Imperium.

I think the effects of the Long Night are somewhat over-exaggerated - I don't see how everything would just stop working. This isn't a collapse on the scale of the Final War or Virus. It's an Imperium-wide economic collapse, which means that worlds turn away from interstellar trade and (if they have any sense) resort to a closed economy that is contained within their own systems to survive (we're surviving, after all). Sure, the transitional period would be "interesting" but it's certainly survivable. I'm not seeing why there'd be less scientist or engineers or anything like that anyway. (there may well be less parts for equipment and so on, which is another matter that could be important for those living on non-habitable worlds).

-1770: All financial and material support to the Spican colonies is reduced by 25% to 50%.
(I'm assuming that you're referring to colonies that are formed by these sleeper ships you mention). Why would they be getting financial and material support? Spica is quite a long way from the Solomani Rim (well, for the time at least... the Sollies are only on J3 (have they reached J4 yet?)).

I'd imagine that the colonies would be expected to be self-sufficient. Particularly if they were Sleeper ships. It may even be that the folks back home don't even know the colonies exist, if they were sleeper ships.

-1700: All contact with the Spican colonies ceases. The Hivers send covert missions through the area to observe humanity more closely while it is not in a good position to notice this observation.
This in itself is an interesting question... The first contact between Hiver and Human is only 26 years before the Long Night starts. (hmm. Conspiracy theorists may wonder if the Hivers might even have had something to do with it... the timing seems awfully convenient!)

But in the centuries afterwards, what do the Hivers do? I wonder if their parenting instincts might oblige them to lend a hand to any struggling Spican colonies that might exist. In which case this may be a sector where Hivers and people of Solomani-origin (as opposed to Ancient-transplanted humans) have been in direct contact for a very long time - much longer than the rest of the Sollies (who would have eventually reached the sector, centuries later).

Why? From the timeline, it sounds like the Rim States existing at the time (the TMC, Vegan Polity, Dingir League, and Easter Concord) are pretty self-contained. Heck, they don't even really start talking to eachother til IY 200, under coaxing from the new 3I. I'm not seeing why anyone would be interested in or concerned with colonies that may or may not be two whole sectors to trailing, and they certainly wouldn't be interested in trading with Hivers. I'm under the distinct impression that this era of the Long Night was one of insularity and "making do with what you've got", not of expansion and exploration.

-700 to -200 sleeper ships from the Old Earth Union sent out to trailing to colonise habitable planets. Each sleeper ship mission had its own agenda. Some were corporate sponsored exercises to more fully develop waystations, others were driven by individual families, adventurers, or other crackpots. Some consisted of fleets of ships, others were solitary vessels. Many of these missions succeeded, while others came into conflict with existing colonies, remanents from the ROM. Some were never heard from again. Over the centuries several of these colonies flourished and started to develop adjacent systems.
I don't get this - are these the sleeper ships you're referring to earlier? -700 to -200 is way after the worst parts of the Long Night mentioned above. This doesn't appear to fit into the chronology, unless I'm misunderstanding something (or you got the dates wrong?!)

My proposal is for waystations , not full blown colonies during the first part of the long night. These wold have to receive local support to remain viable and your idea for Hivers actually helping out (to build/maintain them) is a good one. If they then grow into full fledged civilizations in their own right so be it, if they fail it's more ruins to explore ;)

As you've rightly said, and canon supports, the worlds of the original Terran Confederation were not affected much by the long night, it was more of a turning inward to develop what they had and maintain trade within. There were, however, some brave souls still willing to take a gamble. And there are polities in Alpha Crucis who could have been involved.

During the long night there was the merchant house migration to Darrian, the exodus to the Sword Worlds, and the sleeper ships to the Hinterworlds (in -700). The reasons behind these sleeper ships aren't mentioned, nor are the sponsoring bodies.

Spica hasn't been mentioned before because it hasn't been a focus for development before. I'm just suggestiong ideas and showing what canon has to say about colonising other sectors in the area.

We need some reason to get humans into Spica to establish all these worlds, hence my suggestions.

Human explorers from the ROM could have been in Spica circa -2100.
In the Hinterworlds special supplement:
The trailing edge of the ROM was crossed by explorers probing as far as the youmg Hive Federation [my thoughts - contact being made much later after nearly 300 years of gradual exploration and expansion /my thoughts], merchants seeeking new markets, and homesteaders looking for new lands or an escape from the bustle of Imperial space. As the curtains of the ROM drew to a close and the long night began, many of the citizens remained...

Well, we don't really need a reason for humans to be in Spica, since we know there could be some dropped there by the Ancients.

But do we envisage the Solomani getting there under their own steam early in the history or later on?

You do have a point in that we know that there are Solomani polities in Alpha Crucis that presumably formed around the same time as the Rim States during the middle to later stages of the Long Night and remain independent and intact past the year 600 (presumably these were later integrated into the Solomani Autonomous Region). I imagine these were still inward-looking and isolated during the Long Night though (even more so than the Rim States, because they're quite far from human space).

The Hinterworlds supplement (where is that anyway? Is it an old CT book?) seems to be at odds with the Hiver timeline though - RoM explorers couldn't have met the "young Hive Federation" in -2100, because the Hive Federation didn't form til -2023.

I'm wondering though, how could people striking out to trailing from the RoM not meet the Hivers? Did they just decide to stop in the Spica sector and not press on another couple of sectors to trailing? (presumably the Hiver border around this time was in the Centrax sector?)

And also, just because people may have headed out to Spica doesn't necessarily mean that they survived...

That said, I'm not averse to putting one or two surviving Solomani polities in the sector that then get absorbed by the Solomani Sphere in the 700-800s. Though ideally I'd like to see a similar level of evolution as occurred in the Sword Worlds (described in the GT Sword Worlds book) - individuals worlds rising and falling from power, and polities forming and collapsing over the 1500 to 2000 years or so that there's a Solomani presence there before they're absorbed into the Solomani Sphere.

The Hinterworlds was a free special supplement in am issue of Challenge magazine.

During the ROM the Terran Confederation spread as far as the middle of Alpha Crucis. State of the art military ships were jump 3 capable, so I'd imagine most scouts/civilian explorers were limited to jump 2.
That allows travel of up to 52 parsecs, probably much less if you're taking the time to recon the system, before having to turn around and come home for maintenance. That allows explorers to travel the width of Spica in about a year.
To extend the range either:
use higher jump number ships
or
use "alien" bases for maintenance
or
build your ships with redundant drives so they can go further between maintenance cycles
or
set up waystations
or
establish colonies with starport infrastructure.

The Hinterworlds info shows ROM explorers could make it that far to trailing , I'm beginning to think conact with the Hivers was made because the Hivers were expanding the other way. First contact was probably made in the Leonidae or Phlask sectors.

My money would be on Phlask as that gives the Hivers the reason to continue to expand to Spinward through Phlask into Spica, rather than into Leonidae which has no Hive Federation presence.

With the onset of the long night the Hivers would then feel it their duty to foster the care for the failing human colonies/outposts/waystations in Spica and Langere.

Back