• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Classic Traveller getting stale?

Earth has been balkanized forever so not a problem on a world with even hundreds of thousands. In fact I think that there are more individual countries today than 20 years ago. Empirical data suggests humans self segregate naturally rather than unite naturally

I think, in context, his point was we do not have to treat every world as balkanized. I agree. Some planets might be a single colony under a single government. But I agree with you that population size is not the measure we should use to see if it makes sense or not. The history of the planet and man's arrival there seems to be the real driver in my opinion. :)

I think, in context, his point was we do not have to treat every world as balkanized. I agree. Some planets might be a single colony under a single government. But I agree with you that population size is not the measure we should use to see if it makes sense or not. The history of the planet and man's arrival there seems to be the real driver in my opinion. :)
Yes, HOW it became inhabited is probably the key to what it looks like down the road.

Last edited:
On the scale of a single PC group, this makes perfect sense ... since the PCs are the perspective "into" the game world.
Having lots of LITTLE narratives, all competing with each other, makes plenty of sense.

Referee/player groups create these narratives. As far as I'm concerned, it is not the task of the setting designer to do so. At best, it is partially the job of the adventure designer.

My postulate is that Traveller works best when the PCs are NOT the "center of the universe" (the chosen ones, foretold by prophecy immemorial ... blah blah blah, yakkity smack) and that the PCs "have NO DESTINY to fulfill" because they are NOT the chosen ones, foretold by prophecy immemorial ... blah blah blah, skip ahead Brother Maynard.

I would argue it's not so much about destiny or prophecy, common tropes in fantasy games, but more about stakes.
It is, in my opinion, a regrettable development in popular SF (and not just SF) media that the stakes almost always have to be about the fate of the universe (the game universe, not the literal universe). For OTU-Traveller, where your typical PC group are in control of a single, comparably tiny starship and visit maybe a few dozen star systems over the course of their career (out of tens of thousands in existence), this simply doesn't work.

It's alright for there to be Epic Stuffs™ happening in the background/backdrop of YTU, but that stuff ought to remain in the background.

I now think epic events happening in the background are in fact often a hindrance. Either they don't have any influence on the PCs' lives, then they are mostly a distraction; or they do, then they can easily throw wrenches into a running campaign when mandated by the game's designers.

IMNSHO: If you want to have big, epic changes affecting your entire RPG setting, then at least have them in such a way that a normal PC group can directly(!) participate in them. If that is implausible (as it arguably is for Traveller, as I've mentioned above), then either don't have them or first expand your game in such a way that PC groups able to participate become normal.

Now, a limited, local war does not necessarily fall into this category, and I think it is perfectly fine to have something like the FFW run in the background. But ideally, in such a way that battle reports would not drown out other kinds of background information or that most of the in-game thinking would revolve on whose fleets took what.

It is, in my opinion, a regrettable development in popular SF (and not just SF) media that the stakes almost always have to be about the fate of the universe (the game universe, not the literal universe).
That's the typical "hollywood" approach of ALWAYS needing to One Up™ whatever came before.
This week, it's the neighborhood.
Next week, it's the entire city.
Then the country.
Then the world.
Then the galaxy.
Then the universe.
... and of course the trump card to all trump cards ... the multiverse ... because ... freeDUMB!

But enough about the villainous organization known as The Phone Pole Team! :cool:

So long as you keep the "stakes" down at the level of a single starship and her crew, things remain manageable for a Referee.

How does the Imperium compare to the large D&D worlds like Forbidden Realms and Greyhawk?

I have no idea what the scope of those are.

How does the Imperium compare to the large D&D worlds like Forbidden Realms and Greyhawk?

I have no idea what the scope of those are.
Pure opinion here: I believe all three have tons of content, raw data, detailed facts, stuff well beyond most people's games. Sometimes so much any of the three rob the GM from creative input. All three have created a number of fanboys who will sit and pick your game apart because of some small error in lore.

Where they differ, IMO, is what they elect to leave vague and what they elect to dig into. Where they spend their effort to detail beyond what would normally show up in a game. How they elect to make their lore grow and present itself. Forgotten Realms, for example, has over 400 novels. Lots of lore and details presented in stories. Traveller has far fewer novels but elected to scatter its lore among several editions and each edition with lots of support content. The D&D settings poor detail into cities and dungeons and various locations on a couple of planets. Traveller sometimes reduces a planet down to a numeric code and a few lines of text. But then gives you a map with 100s of planets and star spanning empires.

All three are quite vast and complex in their own ways. Each is built and spends their efforts in ways that match their game. One is vast for a group of folks on foot or maybe horseback. The other is vast for a group of folks in a FTL ship. :)

There is an almost universal tendency in RPGs to turn the setting into a narrative.
Not sure I agree. Most settings are published to be static. The calendar only moves *at all* at edition changes, and not even then in every case. The exceptions are notable, and at least one was a complete disaster that makes all the ballyhoo over Traveller's different editions look mild.

That's the typical "hollywood" approach of ALWAYS needing to One Up™ whatever came before.
This week, it's the neighborhood.
Next week, it's the entire city.
Then the country.
Then the world.
Then the galaxy.
Then the universe.
... and of course the trump card to all trump cards ... the multiverse ... because ... freeDUMB!

But enough about the villainous organization known as The Phone Pole Team! :cool:

So long as you keep the "stakes" down at the level of a single starship and her crew, things remain manageable for a Referee.
Prior art: E.E. Smith's Lensman series from the 1940s-60s. :)

Asia Minor had any number of minor political entitles spring up and dispute real estate and trading routes, with major empires on the fringes expanding towards the centre.

Back