• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Combat boat escape capsule

Carlobrand

SOC-14 1K
Marquis
An issue with little combat boats is their tendency to die and take their crew with them because of their vulnerability to criticals. This isn't as much of an issue if you give them adequate armor but, with a size code of zero, even the most heavily armored boat faces a risk of a "ship vaporised" result.

Pilots are a valued resource and easier to attract if they believe there's at least a chance of surviving an engagement. To that end, I suggest the combat escape capsule, basically a variation on the Emergency Atmospheric Reentry Capsule introduced in MT Errata. They were half a dTon so the same volume as a crash couch, so they'd basically replace the crash couch. On an ejection, they'd enclose the occupant and provide a sealed volume with more protection from radiation and other hazards than a suit can provide, with a beacon to attract aid and with emergency supplies including emergency O2 candles and self-powered CO2 scrubbers. With only one occupant to shelter, their resources and energy reserves would last much longer.

There's not enough maneuver to something this small to do more than avoid a collision course with a planet should they eject with exactly the wrong vector, and that only if they're far enough away, but it should keep someone alive until the battle is over and rescue can be launched.

(Frankly, for the size and cost, it'd be easy to rule that small craft couches functioned as emergency capsules. Even if they weren't designed to eject, something that closed around a passenger in the event of a depressurization event would be a useful thing.)

US did something like this for their B58 and B70 bombers: seat was a clamshell capsule that would close around the occupant during an ejection. They were somewhat less than 100% successful, with two deaths and one serious injury among the three ejection attempts, but one Hope's a high tech civilization with thousands of years of experience in space would do a better job.

IMTU acceleration couches in small craft are escape pods.

You may want to just use a wafer personality as the pilot in the small craft...

To that end, I suggest the combat escape capsule, basically a variation on the Emergency Atmospheric Reentry Capsule introduced in MT Errata. They were half a dTon so the same volume as a crash couch, so they'd basically replace the crash couch. On an ejection, they'd enclose the occupant and provide a sealed volume with more protection from radiation and other hazards than a suit can provide, with a beacon to attract aid and with emergency supplies including emergency O2 candles and self-powered CO2 scrubbers. With only one occupant to shelter, their resources and energy reserves would last much longer.
CT has what are often referred to as Jump Capsules.
First appeared in LBB A1 The Kinunir and made a later appearance in CT Striker book 2, p43 (which gave design details).

Launcher = 1 ton, Cr10,000, launch 1 capsule per 30 seconds, storage for 1 capsule
Additional Capsules Storage = 0.5 ton, Cr1000 per extra capsule

Basic Capsule = Cr2000 (personnel compartment + reentry package)
Assault Capsule = Cr10,000 (adds ECM, chaff and armor)
High Survivability Capsule = Cr50,000 (deploys decoys, adds even more armor)

This would be my starting point for any kind of "crew evac" system that is "more intentional" than ad hoc emergency.
seat was a clamshell capsule that would close around the occupant during an ejection.
I still think that Babylon 5 did a fantastic job with their Starfury Aurora design, there the entire crew compartment is an ejection pod and the pilot is wearing a vacc suit inside of that cockpit pod for redundant safety.

I think the pilot would object to being told they have a wafer personality. ;)

I like the idea of that being standard for crash couches, though I wouldn't eject them unless the craft faced imminent destruction. They can serve to protect passengers during a decompression emergency without needing to be ejected.
First appeared in LBB A1 The Kinunir and made a later appearance in CT Striker book 2, p43 (which gave design details).

Launcher = 1 ton, Cr10,000, launch 1 capsule per 30 seconds, storage for 1 capsule

This would be my starting point for any kind of "crew evac" system that is "more intentional" than ad hoc emergency.

I still think that Babylon 5 did a fantastic job with their Starfury Aurora design, there the entire crew compartment is an ejection pod and the pilot is wearing a vacc suit inside of that cockpit pod for redundant safety.
Those are actually the starting point, near as I can tell. MT imported the idea from CT, then someone evolved the Emergency Atmospheric Reentry Capsule from those and it was published in the errata.

I'm a big B-5 fan too and, yes, the occupants would be in spacesuits as well since they'd be under decompression protocols during combat.

But if your fighter is hit and a "ship vaporized" is the result the capsule is also vaped at the same time.

The original owner of the body might not be too happy about that, though I suppose you could use 'blank' clone bodies.

TNE had them, too. At 0.5 DTons they fit in a standard TNE missile tube.

I managed to fit a 4-person escape capsule based on the one in FGU's Space Opera into 1 DTon using FF&S (though I did cheat and use cold fusion for power), so a 0.5 DTon pilot capsule seems quite reasonable.
Like the F-111's crew capsule - rather than ejection seats the entire crew compartment separates from the plane.

too bulky for those slides they used :) and time would have been of the essence for those 1-shot interceptors. And it was TV.
I recall one episode in which the guy ended up on the lunar surface in a space suit with one of the alien pilots (who was also in a spacesuit). Don't remember anything else though, other than it ended poorly for the helpful but unlucky alien, 'cause we humans be trigger-happy.

But if your fighter is hit and a "ship vaporized" is the result the capsule is also vaped at the same time.
Since we still have no idea what's making all ships "vaporize" when the only systems they all have in common don't appear to be good candidates for vaporizing ships, maybe not. This is clearly a bow to sci fi cinematics, and this is an RPG, and we all know ships don't blow up immediately in sci fi cinematics if it's more dramatically satisfying and narratively useful to have lots of smaller explosions and people fleeing for their lives before the final bang. I think in an RPG the narrative would insist that the pilot have a chance to escape, just in case the pilot happened to be a protagonist or a recurring antagonist. ;)

Since we still have no idea what's making all ships "vaporize" when the only systems they all have in common don't appear to be good candidates for vaporizing ships, maybe not. This is clearly a bow to sci fi cinematics, and this is an RPG, and we all know ships don't blow up immediately in sci fi cinematics if it's more dramatically satisfying and narratively useful to have lots of smaller explosions and people fleeing for their lives before the final bang. I think in an RPG the narrative would insist that the pilot have a chance to escape, just in case the pilot happened to be a protagonist or a recurring antagonist. ;)
I interpret ship vaporized nowadays as ship breaks apart, check for debris field damage on crew.

F-111 ejection system
Both the side-by-side seating and the "cockpit ejection capsule" were USN requirements - the USAF wanted tandem (fore & aft) seating with normal ejection seats (as per the USN-originated F-4 Phantom).

So naturally, the USN then refused to buy "their" F-111B, and bought the F-14 instead*, leaving the USAF with a cockpit they didn't want but had to accept, as it would cost too much to redesign it.

*and, of course, with the F-14 the USN was perfectly happy with tandem seating and conventional ejection seats.

Back