• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Detailed Deckplans Design Questions

The scouts were done in CC2.
The Type A was done in Appleworks 6.2

The walkthrough is (of course) Sketchup.

I like how the Air/Raft bay doubles as a cargo airlock on the A2, going to have to use that option myseft more :D
But only 1 fresher for the whole ship? :confused:
Hope you don't want to sell high passage tickets :eek:o:
The open commons are not that much of a problem. I do like spliting the Crew and passenger areas on free traders my self, for safty reasons.

The scout ships are ok, not a big fan of the CT Spinward Marches wedge shape scout. I like the various Solomani Rim area stuby wing airframe scouts, Serpent, Suleiman, ect.

Most 3x3m SR plans include a fold-away commode. The fresher is the showers, and the comfortable commode.

Most 3x3m SR plans include a fold-away commode. The fresher is the showers, and the comfortable commode.

Traveller ship grids are designed for miniatures (and rightly so), but in the real world, a 1.5 x 1.5 m room is a small residential bathroom with a toilet, sink and a corner shower.

Traveller ship grids are designed for miniatures (and rightly so), but in the real world, a 1.5 x 1.5 m room is a small residential bathroom with a toilet, sink and a corner shower.

True. My freshers incorporate a shower, folding sink and folding toilet in a 1m sq cubicle. Cabins also include a 'kettle corner' with kettle, microwave and toaster. My cabins are 3 x 3m.

Thanks for all the information and suggestions to my original post. I've already designed my own version of the type S Scout based upon the MGT tonnages (crossing my fingers that I will get to do a T5 version soon).

I made some corrections based upon the drives of the CT plans seeming too small, added some details I wanted, and mapped out the rest of the "dead" space" that can't be entered. Even though you can't crawl into the fuel tankage for example, I still wanted everything mapped out. I changed the cargo bay so it makes more sense (better way to load cargo). The largest change is I moved the air/raft location, but once I post a deck plan, it may make sense why I did this.

I made three levels of decks like the original, but made the "attic" and "hold" more like a cut off triangle towards the back of the ship (the portion thick enough for 3 levels).

I'm working on some plans using Autorealm, learning as I go. Gotta make some symbols next, I will post the plans somewhere (next week?) when I complete them for some critical reviews. :eek:

...I'm working on some plans using Autorealm, learning as I go. Gotta make some symbols next, I will post the plans somewhere (next week?) when I complete them for some critical reviews. :eek:

Hmm, thought I saw some Traveller symbols for Autorealm at one time. Maybe in the Yahoo Autorealm group? Not sure now.

Look forward to critiquing your take on it :)

Be sure to wear Battle Dress to the unveiling :smirk:

Yes. (My walkthrough was done in sketchup.)

And at least one other poster as well has done so in the last year or so.

Hmm, thought I saw some Traveller symbols for Autorealm at one time. Maybe in the Yahoo Autorealm group? Not sure now.

I looked those up, but this morning I had fun making my own symbols and such for autorealm. I have all the hatch/iris valves made, a chair, stool, table, bed, acceleration couch, toilet, wall-mounted sink, air/raft, barrel, pallet, cargo module, and a generic maunveur drive so far. :) Once I get a larger set I may post them somewhere if others are interested and use autorealm. I could make a jpeg of them also I suppose.

I'm still looking for the perfect deckplan tool. Dungeonforge is good, but its owner got distracted mid-development, and without a zoom facility it's all but useless for anything beyond small craft. :(

I'm still looking for the perfect deckplan tool. Dungeonforge is good, but its owner got distracted mid-development, and without a zoom facility it's all but useless for anything beyond small craft. :(

Before starting I looked at all kinds of programs. I have CC, Fractal Mapper, and downloaded many free ones. CC is powerful, but takes forever to get a hang of....even if you've used it before but taken a break from it.

Autorealm was my decision and I haven't regretted it. It took me only a couple hours before work one morning to get a good grasp of it. Some more time the next morning and I have over half of my scout plan finished, and about 20 of my own symbols (doors, chairs, generic drives). I would have never been able to re-learn CC or do something that quickly with it.

Autorealm is less powerful then CC, but it can do everything I need it to do so far.

There is no "perfect" tool.

For quick and easy, I use Appleworks, because I am VERY familiar with it, and the draw module is rather good; I preferred MacDraft 2 for the m68K series, but it's been gone for YEARS. (Likewise, MacWrite II was my preferred WP right until I migrated to OS 9...)

I like CC2, and run it in parallels... but I also like Cadintosh... when doing detailed stuff, the genuine CAD is righteous... in both CC2 and Cadintosh.

I bought CC and regretted it, for the very reasons you mention, Sturn. I could devote perhaps an hour or so once a week - you can imagine how far I got!
I tried autorealm and it seemed very similar - maybe after my CC experience I didn't give it a fair trial, but...
I've tried a lot of freebies, too, and I'm currently using MS Paint. If I create the plans a few pixels at a time, it works-ish. If only the darn thing would zoom out as well as in!

I'm afraid the Mac stuff doesn't work on my machine. ;)

I bought CC and regretted it, for the very reasons you mention, Sturn. I could devote perhaps an hour or so once a week - you can imagine how far I got!
I tried autorealm and it seemed very similar - maybe after my CC experience I didn't give it a fair trial, but...

I thought exactly the same thing at first and almost didn't try autorealm. I was going to paint, not CAD, with Inkscape. I gave autorealm a look again, dove right in trying to create a deckplan, and am almost finished. It is much easier to use in my opinion. I removed a couple toolbars from the interface I knew I wouldn't use (fractal ones), and it helped simplify what I was looking at even more.

Once I get my deckplan posted somewhere, I might put up some notes about my process with autorealm. It took me a bit to think about how exactly I was going to do it and how to tweak things so they looked right.

Once I get my deckplan posted somewhere, I might put up some notes about my process with autorealm.

Yeah, I'd be interested to see both the plan and the notes. However, I thought CC2 plans always looked simplistic somehow (in contrast to their production) I can't really explain what I mean - sort of pencil-and-paperish? and my brief look at Autorealm suggested a similar style.

Where I'm going at the moment is I've got hundreds of 20x20 pixel Jpeg tiles from Dungeonforge that I'm hoping to be able to strip and manipulate in an obsolete free version of Paint Shop Pro (once I've figured out what transparency and masking is all about so I can select irregular sections of a Jpeg and delete the rest - gimme a year or two), then I can produce detailed DF interiors using chopped and rearranged tiles.

Then I'm drawing curved outlines in MS Word Draw, since it's the only program I'm aware of that can do curves, patterns and gradients AND is comprehensible. (Pity you have to guesstimate the size of shapes against the rulers instead of being able to specify sizes - it's a real Achilles heel in the program).

Then I'll assemble the two parts together in MS Paint. ie the curved grey background layer and the detailed, full-colour DF interiors.

It's a bit of a PITA, but I don't know of any single program that will do all of that AND remain comprehensible and affordable. :(

It's just deleting irregular areas of a jpeg that's holding me back right now.
Even the help menu in PSP is incomprehensible jargon to me - I have absolutely zero knowledge of art software and techniques.

Dear Folks -

First, Marc Miller wrote a one-pager on how to do deckplans, 'way back in Challenge 25 as part of the article on the PF Sloan-class deckplans in that issue. We may be able to get Marc's permission to repost that section of the article.

Second, Andrew Akins did some deckplan symbols as GIFs. I can't see his site at the moment (although I have a copy of his symbols, all 63 of them...).

Flykiller did a bunch of cut-n-paste images for portions of deckplans, too. They used to be here on CotI, before the great crash. I have a copy of some of them, otherwise ask him directly.

I also found a set of Visio symbols on someone's website (whose name currently escapes me) many years ago, along with a sample "Colonial Fleet Courier" starship. These have all the standard symbols, and even a 20t launch as an icon. ;-)

(This probably won't assist you in Autorealm, sorry. ;-) ;-)

Back