• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

OTU Only: Development of the OTU

I, on the other hand, keep trying to combine Outland the movie with Horatio Hornblower the A&E TV series, much to his despair, I fear.
That is how I see some of it also. More along the book series of Hornblower than the TV series though. Love them both, the books just go on for a longer period of time. And Outland is one of Connery's best movies outside of his Bond work.

A Napolonic style 3I could be and interesting concept. WIth Solomini taking place of Spain and Portugal, Zodanhi being British. The Imperium being the French. Lots of possiblities there. More of a topic for In My Traveller Universe though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I, on the other hand, keep trying to combine Outland the movie with Horatio Hornblower the A&E TV series, much to his despair, I fear.

Phooey, now you have made me want to watch Outland again, and it turns out that Netflix doesn't have it! Grumble, grumble. Add it to the list for Blockbuster.

I agree that I would love to see a bibliography of Marc's inspirations. Then it would just be a matter of *finding* them.

(Amazon has Outland in digital for rental or purchase.)

Free Traders are from Andre Norton, and some other sources, but they are almost exactly like Sargasso of Ships and such.
Poul Anderson's Nicholas van Rijn seems to get mentioned a lot, too.

Didn't one of the early LBB supplements have a reading list?

I think a lot of folks here would find this very well-referenced article from 2005 really enlightening:

Deciphering the Text Foundations of Traveller
by Michael Andre-Driussi

http://www.irosf.com/q/zine/article/10119

Wait until you read the parallels between early Traveller and E.C. Tubb’s Dumarest saga. And if you haven't read some of those books, you should! Seriously, it's like reading licensed Traveller fiction at times.

For me, CT and the 3I is definitely a distillation of Tubb’s Dumarest, Piper’s Space Viking, Poul Anderson’s Technic History, and just a pinch of Asimov's Foundation and Galactic Empire series. And a whole helluva lot of imagination and work from Marc, Loren and others; their work cannot be underestimated despite the influences.

Sup 4. Not so much as a reading list, but because of the famous characters lists in Sup 1 & 4 having their key in Sup 4

I remember that, and Understanding Traveller has this:

"Traveller, in the hands of a good referee, can duplicate any science fiction you
have ever read or seen. Star Trek. Black Hole. Star Wars. Battle Star Galactica.
Dune. Alien. Tron. Foundation. E.T. The Demon Princes. Or any situation that the
players make up themselves."

But there was something else, it might have been in a JTAS or other article.

Back