• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General Wouldn't any Tech proliferate as fast as travel throughout the Imperium?

Interstate commerce is the general term for transacting or transportation of products, services, or money across state borders. Article I section 8 clause of the U.S. Constitution, the commerce clause, grants Congress the power to “regulate commerce. . . among the several states.” The jurisprudence around Congress’s power under the commerce clause is central to understanding the modern state. In 1824, the Supreme Court in Gibbons v. Ogden read the clause broadly in holding that intrastate activity could be regulated under the Commerce Clause, provided that the activity is part of a larger interstate commercial scheme. In the early 1940s, however, the Supreme Court became willing to give an unequivocally broad interpretation of the Commerce Clause, in cases such as U.S. v. Darby and Wickard v. Filburn. Congress has since used the Commerce Clause to enact legislation such as the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (see Heart of Atlanta Motel v. U.S.) and federal regulation of marijuana production (see Gonzales v. Raich).

Question would be, if the Imperium regulates interstellar trade, and discourages undue regulations and tariffs within the Imperium.

Free trade is a trade policy that does not restrict imports or exports. In government, free trade is predominantly advocated by political parties that hold economically liberal positions, while economic nationalist and left-wing political parties generally support protectionism,[1][2][3][4] the opposite of free trade.

Technically, a thin atmosphere could be equivalent to Denver, Colorado. While I have never been there, I am pretty sure that they have the exact same cars that we have.

This is the boon of modern fuel injection.

I used to take my motorcycle into the local mountains. I live at sea level, but the roads were around 7500 feet. And my bike, at that altitude, with carburetors tune for sea level, lost a heap of "oomph". It was a 5 speed bike, and there was no point in to getting out of 4th. You could almost hear it wheezing. Its just too rich at the level.

Modern fuel injection fixes that, and keeps the fueling right even in Thin atmosphere.

Modern fuel injection fixes that, and keeps the fueling right even in Thin atmosphere.
Spoiler alert ... you need (relatively speaking) "high tech" to do that with an internal combustion engine. What you're talking about isn't exactly TL=5 stuff. ;)

No outside polity would allow weapons and armor to be brought into their countries by non-citizens, and likely no armed merchant ships allowed to dock either. So a lot of these things are only gamisms, and not realistic.
Age of sail, armed merchantmen were in fact the norm, not the exception. Not heavily so - often just a handful of 10pdr or 20pdr. Even now, merchant ships often still have small arms lockers.

And sailors, both civil and military, have the right to use force to defend that territory. Chief Engineer Makoi (Philippines-ticketed Merchant Mariner) mentions that it's up to the company and skipper whether to use the arms locker, and whether or not it's stocked. Most of the time, merchants are better off surrendering...
Critical mass.

Which I suspect can't easily be calculated, since the more sophisticated a technological base, the more you need to invest to maintain it.
Critical mass for telephone over wire never hit most of central Africa... but from 2nd Gen cellphones, the insane ease - a $1500 sat dish, a $5000 to $20,000 cellular transceiver, and a tower (another $10k or so) in the 90's saw many, even nomadic herdsmen, go straight from no telephony to cellular. There have been a number of interesting photos of various nomadic herders, still wearing traditional attire, on their smartphones since the 00's. (even pre-iPhone - Blackberry and Palm phones...) moreover, many places have adopted the prior generation as the developed world moves on the the next, because the needed TXRX gear is "out of date" and can be sourced at fire-sale prices.

So critical mass is often intriguingly odd.

And ti's a fair thing to say that no Central African nation is building a strong cellular network - politically, that's a danger to the usually oligarchical leadership (even if they are elected). But there's a willingness of the people to spend on second rate hardware to have massive improvements in quality of life by access to news, weather, and on-line shopping and entertainment. Aside from weather, most of that isn't even economically beneficial to the end users... but the socio-political impacts of direct person-to-person via commercial entity provided networks...

There was a nat geo article on the whole phenomena.
But you have to be sure:

1. They need it.
They just need to want it. No one needs the internet 24×7×365¼.. Many of us want it.
2. They can afford it.
3. You'll make money on it or get the government to subsidize it.
The government may or may not get a choice on the roboticization of manufacturing. Several folks have been saying that they're going to replace human workers as soon as possible, even tho' it hurts the bottom line, simply to reduce the variability of quality and attendance. For some, it's a political stance: it's the ultimate union busting tool. Sure, it's hella-bad on the bottom line at first, but the added costs of human labor that don't show up on the contracts are important, too.

As for telecom in Africa - the governments largely didn't even want to allow it... but it was allowed for the tourist trade, and the net effect was that shepherds, goatherds, and cowherds can play Angry Birds and Candy Crush... and talk politics on various social media sites.

And, as for other market disruption...

Roboticized workflows reduce the secondary supports needed: Restrooms, lunch rooms, coat rack space, parking space, evacuation routing and planning... it opens the way for more productivity per unit land area simply by not needing to make it person-tolerable.

At present, the only reason the high tech goodies still have people in the assembly side is that the sub-"living wage" employment in certain nations is cheaper than the programming and hardware to fully automate. But that's a downward trend...

As automation increases, the demand for robots will increase, and as that's met, it will drive others to do so. The thing is, in 1994, when I asked my aunt (who worked for Ford in some management capacity), she noted that the only reason they didn't automate everything but QA/QI was that the state didn't allow replacing workers... so they instead shut down a Detroit factory and opened a new one in another state, with half as many workers and twice the production. (4x the efficiency.) But it wasn't a cost savings - the net lifetime cost of a robot vs a person was about the same, but note that the robot is inflation proofed, as it's paid for in advance or on a contract. It's more stable. And needs less of the secondary considerations... breaks, places to take those breaks, allowances for illnesses...

The end of the manufacturing workforce will be when the autonomous robots can maintain the fixed industrial ones as well as human technicians. Then the entire manufacturing side goes sophontless.

Even now, certain companies are removing as much human interaction from their products as the law and the contracts allow... Automated 3d-printing of rocket engines, including drop-in of some separately manufactured elements, is a thing happening now, and bringing down the launch costs. It's going to get more and more common.

Elon Musk noted in an interview last year that robots don't yet weld as well as humans, and that he expects that to change, soon...

As for the native powerplant tech...
The fundamental need for power is a universal need. For electricity is not, unless/until a sufficently high tech level. Keep in mind that there are entire towns were the sum total electrical grid extent is "The owner has a Generator"... (McGrath, Alaska, comes immediately to mind. Likewise the few folks living at Shemya since the USAF pulled out.)

If the cost per watt-hour is cheaper for fusion than internal combustion, fusion wins. Given the tech as presented in Striker, MegaTraveller, TNE, and T4, it's somewhat so under Striker/MT, and MUCH more so under TNE/T4... even after cracking it from local hydrates (including hydrocarbons). Plus there's the long tail issue of environmental degradation.

Having run a colony game using TNE's World Tamer's Handbook. there's no incentive at all to not bring a fab and a fusion plant... it just makes everything cheaper locally to have the raw power of fusion available.

Speaking of African telecommunications, quite a lot of reports of scams preying on unsophisticated consumers.

Some of which targetted at investors, unfamiliar with the business environment.

The way I would calculate it, would be power grid efficiency over a specific range, number of consumers, and actual consumption.

Optionally, we could transmit power wirelessly, though now that I think about it. I don't think it's covered in Traveller.

"Cargo ships do not carry firearms because it is against international maritime law for civilian ships to be armed."

This is consistent from what I have heard from guys who have worked on ships, they say even knives are considered bad. From people I have talked to who have worked as security, they say that they throw the rifles overboard before hitting the European waters. Then are flown back down to another ship, where rifles are delivered, and do the ride up the coast again.

I am originally an LBB player, so there isn't a mention of age of sail, only about communications being such as it was in the 18th century (speed of transport); that sounds like maybe a mongoose addition. Which I have nothing against their doing what they want, though it doesn't feel sci-fi to me, so I don't do it.

I look at the rules more as guidelines, so it is cool whatever people want to do. Doing real world stuff is just easy. Abstracting stuff that is boring is good, nobody wants to do a balance sheet for a commercial operation, such as "we used the megacredit to take out a bond, and use that as collateral for a line of credit, the settle it with accounts receivable at the end of the year." All that stuff isn't very fun. Armed merchants, and player characters with guns work for the game side of things.

Spoiler alert ... you need (relatively speaking) "high tech" to do that with an internal combustion engine. What you're talking about isn't exactly TL=5 stuff. ;)
You can do fuel injection mechanically/analog. It's a PITA to implement, of course, which is why carburetors persisted (and persist) long after electronic fuel injection became common.

Last edited:
Technically, a thin atmosphere could be equivalent to Denver, Colorado. While I have never been there, I am pretty sure that they have the exact same cars that we have. They just have trouble hard boiling an egg (without a pressure cooker).
The air at Denver's altitude (5,280 feet/1,609 meters) is roughly 0.82 atmospheres, which is still within the definition of a Standard (6) Atmosphere. Down the road in Colorado Springs (6,035 feet/1,839 meters), they clock in at 0.80 atmospheres. You have to get into the mountains, say up to the gambling dens of Cripple Creek (9,494 feet/2,894 meters) before you hit 0.70 atmospheres, which is the upper range of a Thin (5) Atmosphere or equivalent.

I've been to all three places (in fact, I lived in The Springs for a couple of years back in the '90s), so I know what it's like drive around in those atmospheres, as well as breathe them. Carbureted cars definitely have a loss of 'oomph' up there. Notably, I drove a Suzuki Samurai around in those days, and while I love their reliability and capacity to drive on or up just about anything their tire treads can get a grip on, the thing was a glorified go-kart on Academy Boulevard, Colorado Springs' main drag.

On Pike's Peak, which is just a few miles up the road from Colorado Springs, you can experience spending the afternoon on a solid Atmo 5 planet (0.59 atmospheres), if you like. You might even be able to try day-to-day living on it, if the cafe up there still has their staff stay overnight, during their workweeks, in the little dorms they've got up there. I visited it a couple of times back in the day, and it is definitely a unique experience to have to stop and take a breather between bites of your sandwich at the counter (and that was me acclimated to Colorado Springs altitudes to begin with).

I don't recall having any trouble getting hard boiled eggs in The Springs, though. Water boils at 201F/94C there, which is still enough to get a nice, solid egg out of it. Gotta be more careful with canning some things, though. That's for sure.

Well, gratis delivery does require Thermodon Prime membership …
I never said this delivery was free! They are doing it for a 50% mortgage on your misjumped to deep space (5 parsecs from the next star), ship. This service provides a ride for all passengers, and the crew that are not needed to do the repairs and fly the thing back, some fuel is delivered as caches for the ship to use on the way back, and in about 6 months after the the misjump the ship makes it back to a starport where the drive can be overhauled, and recertified.

Last edited:
I never said this delivery was free! They are doing it for a 50% mortgage on your misjumped to deep space (5 parsecs from the next star), ship. This service provides a ride for all passengers, and the crew that are not needed to do the repairs and fly the thing back, some fuel is delivered as caches for the ship to use on the way back, and in about 6 months after the the misjump the ship makes it back to a starport where the drive can be overhauled, and recertified.
Lol, whut? 🤪

That sounds like a racket just waiting to happen ... :ninja:

Carbureted cars definitely have a loss of 'oomph' up there.
Isn't that mostly a tuning for the correct atmosphere issue?
For a WORLD with thin atmosphere, the engine would be tuned for the atmosphere from the start.

There are a lot of aircraft (historically speaking) that achieved combustion at altitude prior to turbochargers and fuel injection ... including diesel powered airships at the dawn of TL 5.

However, FUEL INJECTION was invented in 1891 (TL 4) making Carbureted IC engines a choice of convenience rather than a Technical Necessity and the TURBOCHARGER dates back to 1905 (dawn of TL 5). This begs the question of how great a demand is there for TL 4 steampunk IC cars on thin atmosphere worlds?

You will just need to tool around in a 1929 Duesenberg Model SJ Dual Cowl Phaeton. (S is for "supercharged")

1935_Duesenberg_Model_SJ_LaGrande_Dual_Cowl_Phaeton_p3.JPG

Isn't that mostly a tuning for the correct atmosphere issue?
For a WORLD with thin atmosphere, the engine would be tuned for the atmosphere from the start.
Even properly tuned, 'traditional' (ICE) cars lose power at higher altitudes. I mean, the key is in the 'combustion' part of the acronym, and the less oxygen you have for that (at least in human breathable atmospheres), the less combustible the fuel becomes. My personal bet is that even low tech weak oxygen worlds will rely more on electric powered vehicles for transportation than anything else.

Keep in mind that just because we basically ignored electric vehicles until sometime in the 21st century (diesel locomotives notwithstanding), that doesn't mean that the tech level tree doesn't allow for their use at lower technologies than ours. The near century long dearth of innovation in electric personal transportation among us Solomani can be attributed as much to blatant sexism as it can be to any structural or industrial limitations of the technology, if not more so. There's no reason that the same people who can build internal combustion engines wouldn't have the capacity to make and support electric ones.

One could even argue that it would be the easier technology for them to do at their tech level.
Yessir. That is a doozy, all right.

Back