• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Firefly

well, I can understand the gun (being a CPR weapon) needin O2 to fire.

And as fer the companion and assassin gettin it on, this ain't Penthouse on line we're watchin but Fox,'kay?

I'm with Rabid Vargr--its FUN. Its Traveller-esque, and it blows cetain ST/NG lets be nice outta da water!( and space). Enterprise aside, and Andromeda's inconsistencies of tech (if we wanna nitpick), Firefly is what the heretic is watchin.

Pax Solee!

Still don't know. Tonight's WAS decent, even if the two chicks DIDN'T make out. Of the 2 I've seen, though, both ended rather preachy. Kind of "I'll hunt you doen and slap you around, because I'm a bad guy. I won't KILL YOU, though, 'cause I'm not a "bad" bad guy.

The 2 chicks making out WOULD have just taken it to another level, though. I'd be a total convert then.

But do let me be the first to say:

Mal's gun= LaMat revolver.

J.E.B Stuart carried 2 the whole War of Norther Aggression. A decent choice, if this were 1861.

Phydaux said "But do let me be the first to say:

Mal's gun= LaMat revolver.

J.E.B Stuart carried 2 the whole War of Norther Aggression. A decent choice, if this were 1861.

"

Originally posted by Liam Devlin:
No gun has ever needed atmospheric O2 to fire, from 14th century "gonnes" to the OICW.

And I think I can make a good case for it being impossible to use atmospheric oxygen in any concievable weapon. If it was done, somehow, I cannot imagine a spacecrew carrying such a weapon.

But I suppose if an intelligent Traveller player is that ignorant of basic chemistry, I should forgive the writers and raise my opinion of Firefly at least to Lost in Space, 1st season. But I don't think I can.

If you're bothered by:

A) The obvious lack of description regarding whether or not the ship is FTL
B) Guns needing oxygen
C) Bad guys being teed off because they had to come 85M miles
D) Everything happens in one system

Maybe you've fallen victim to Mr. Whedon baiting you

;)

As far as I know, he's too smart to screw up that badly and I don't think the network has that much pull when it comes to those kinds of details.

Then again, it could just be me! :D

Hi
One thing to remember is that they have to write these shows so that everyone will want to watch,not just Traveller players.So if they mess up once in a while, I just let it slide.
As for the LeMat, 9- 36cal. low velocity rounds and a shotgun round might be just the thing for fighting in a spacecraft,Ya-all.

Originally posted by Uncle Bob:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Liam Devlin:
No gun has ever needed atmospheric O2 to fire, from 14th century "gonnes" to the OICW.
</font>[/QUOTE]Ah ya beat me to it Uncle Bob. Yep I had to cinch the old suspenders of disbeleif at that line. I was willing to accept some obscure reason that "the finest weapon ever made" (or words to that effect uttered earlier by Jane 'bout his beloved Vera) could not fire in vacuum. OK, so he fires and takes out the breaker, and a second later fires THREE MORE ROUNDS from this gun that can't fire in vacuum, which thanks to the first shot through the visor is now in vacuum,
file_28.gif
<SNAP> there goes one of my suspenders. Well, that and a few other problems have pretty much put me off the show. Lucky T20 will be on it's way soon and I can make my own sci-fi entertainment.

"Computer."
alpha.gif
"Yes Captain?"
"Cancel recordings of the tri-v 'Firefly' and delete same from my library."
alpha.gif
"Done."

I was interrupted when the reference to the gun needing 02 to work was made. Did they appear to make it a "technical requirement" or more a tongue in cheek comment since it was his favorite gun?
I missed it, darn but good because now I can believe it more as a joke and not serious. ( I was wondering why the gun was in the spacesuit? I thought it was to "disguise" the gun.)

As to why the show hasn't explained how interstellar travel is accomplished I attribute that to the fact that the writers/producers don't want to box themselves in by offering explanations unless necessary. (Keeps all the "scientists" in us "Sci"Fi fans from pointing out inconsistinces based upon our understanding of the physical universe - which is very, very limited.)

As to the woman - woman encounter, seems like some bought into the previews' innuendos followed by the comment "Isn't that special". Now we know what "special" really means.
toast.gif

So far this third episode has been the best. Looks like it might be a good series. :cool:

Randy

Originally posted by Vargas:
If you're bothered by:

A) The obvious lack of description regarding whether or not the ship is FTL
B) Guns needing oxygen
C) Bad guys being teed off because they had to come 85M miles
D) Everything happens in one system

Maybe you've fallen victim to Mr. Whedon baiting you

;)

Maybe... but then there's all the plot holes big enough to fly a small junky spaceship through and the (presumably) network decision to NOT start at the begining with the 2 hour pilot which may now be trimmed to 1 hour, or so someone said. I'm not sure I see any intelligent thoughtful writing at work here. More of a lowest common denominator, non-sci-fi audience, type of writing, which is fine in it's venue. Guess I'm just not the target audience, which by the way is probably out clubbing and cares not a whit for TV in general. You'd think with all the money saved on special effects and sets they could put something into the writing. Anyway, that's my view, take or leave it, enjoy the show for what it is.

Originally posted by RandyT0001:
I was interrupted when the reference to the gun needing 02 to work was made.
Would that I'd been so lucky :rolleyes:

Originally posted by RandyT0001:
So far this third episode has been the best. Looks like it might be a good series. :cool:

Randy
And I pegged it as the poorest yet, oh well, I'll likely watch if I'm not doing anything else but it's not on my must see or tape list anymore. It has shown some promise but tonight threw out most of the best bits to fill it with 'instant ratings hits'.

Originally posted by Vargas:
As far as I know, he's too smart to screw up that badly and I don't think the network has that much pull when it comes to those kinds of details.

Then again, it could just be me! :D
He is "too smart" because he produced a successful fantasy series misrepresenting the vampire myth? Are you suggesting that Firefly is not mediocre space opera but a subtle and clever parody of SciFi?

Or he could just be another hollywood executive who assumes spaceships make it "SciFi" and he doesn't have to sweat the small stuff. He ain't Rodenberry, much less Strazinsky.

And he may be right in a commercial sense. After all, "Lost In Space" lasted as long in prime time as classic 'Trek and cost a whole lot less to produce. Even on this board (where I would have expected harsh criticism) a lot of posters seem willing to excuse his mistakes. I doubt most viewers even noticed them.

ok, the show has a 'few holes' inn it...

but one thing they did do right...NO SHIP 'WHOOSHES' IN SPACE !!...unlike any 'trek' series....trek space is awfully noisy, 'whooshes' here, a 'p-thew' there (torpedo noise) :(

and sudden trek stops (can almost hear the squeal of brakes)... :mad:

the whole trek(ish) warm and fuzzy, everyone needs a big hug and it'll be fine feel makes me GAG !!!

so despite it's rather gaping holes, I think I like it....
IMHO

Besides,

where ANY of the 'trek' series any better their first season than firefly?

what about B5 its first season?

x-files?

i'm willing to give it atleast the one season to work out its bugs....

Uncle Bob said-"No gun has ever needed atmospheric O2 to fire, from 14th century "gonnes" to the OICW.

And I think I can make a good case for it being impossible to use atmospheric oxygen in any concievable weapon. If it was done, somehow, I cannot imagine a spacecrew carrying such a weapon.

But I suppose if an intelligent Traveller player is that ignorant of basic chemistry, I should forgive the writers and raise my opinion of Firefly at least to Lost in Space, 1st season. But I don't think I can. "

(Sounds of GM making frantic massive eraser marks from previous session!) :eek:

Well, I watched the first episode and thought, I'd give it a chance. I accidentaly missed the second. I tried to watch the third episode, but the first 10 minutes were sooooo dull that I switched to Spongebob Squarepants.

To answer Nurd-boy, Star Trek TOS was better than Firefly its first season, so was B5.

Originally posted by DrSkull:
Well, I watched the first episode and thought, I'd give it a chance. I accidentaly missed the second. I tried to watch the third episode, but the first 10 minutes were sooooo dull that I switched to Spongebob Squarepants.

To answer Nurd-boy, Star Trek TOS was better than Firefly its first season, so was B5.
relatively, the first season of trek and B5 where better than firelfy so far...no arguement there.

but, the later seasons of trek and B5 where way better than thier first...i'm saying give firefly at least one season....

I doubt that "Vera" needed O2 to fire. I believe that the firearm needed air around it to fire accurately, because it was not designed to fire in a vaccuum. The sights would possibly fill with condensation. The triggering mechanisim could freeze up. If they had time to get cold enough some parts could break due to the pressure of expanding gas. All of these problems would take a while to manifest themselves, and keeping the weapon in a vacc suit would work for at least the first few seconds of fire. If the gun was exposed to vaccuum for a lengthy period of time then it may not work correctly. This seems a plausible explanation, and would be a lengthy lecture to the other Firefly crew(who probably already know the difficulties of firing some weapons in space).

I received the impression that "Vera" was a highly customized weapon, and as such would tend to be finicky about enviromental conditions, ammo brand etc.. Your typical AKM would probably fire equally well in space as on a planet, but might have problem with vaccuum freezing of parts unless a special lubricant was used.

I doesn't pay to jump to conclusions without examining "all" of the possibilities. I liked the episode just fine. It doesn't pay to be overly critical of Sci-Fi shows. Look at some of the crap that B5, Space Above and Beyond, and Star Wars put out. These shows all had "Major" flaws, yet they were enjoyable anyway.
If you have a ten minute attention span, then you'll probly be bored with most anything put out, regardless of the quality.

file_22.gif
:cool:

Originally posted by LordRhys:
I doubt that "Vera" needed O2 to fire. I believe that the firearm needed air around it to fire accurately, because it was not designed to fire in a vaccuum. The sights would possibly fill with condensation. The triggering mechanisim could freeze up. If they had time to get cold enough some parts could break due to the pressure of expanding gas. All of these problems would take a while to manifest themselves, and keeping the weapon in a vacc suit would work for at least the first few seconds of fire. If the gun was exposed to vaccuum for a lengthy period of time then it may not work correctly. This seems a plausible explanation, and would be a lengthy lecture to the other Firefly crew(who probably already know the difficulties of firing some weapons in space).

I received the impression that "Vera" was a highly customized weapon, and as such would tend to be finicky about enviromental conditions, ammo brand etc.. Your typical AKM would probably fire equally well in space as on a planet, but might have problem with vaccuum freezing of parts unless a special lubricant was used.

I doesn't pay to jump to conclusions without examining "all" of the possibilities. I liked the episode just fine. It doesn't pay to be overly critical of Sci-Fi shows. Look at some of the crap that B5, Space Above and Beyond, and Star Wars put out. These shows all had "Major" flaws, yet they were enjoyable anyway.
If you have a ten minute attention span, then you'll probly be bored with most anything put out, regardless of the quality.

file_22.gif
:cool:
I COMPLETELY FORGOT ABOUT 'SPACE ABOVE AND BEYOND'...The writing (thinking about it know) kinda backed the characters into a corner, pretty limited stories, little development beyond a basic bug-hunt kind of thing....

Battlestar Galactica had so much potential but they wasted it...

remember Quark?..the sitcom about a space garbageman? had a set of twins that each claimed was the clone of the other....

anyway, i'm drifting off topic here...

all I know is without cable (and it seems even with cable..) scifi of any type is few and far between, firefly is better than some stuff thats been on, worse than others....but its scifi and its close enough to trav. for me to keep watching and cop a few story ideas from...

file_23.gif

Back