• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Forbidden technology of the Vilani.

Then the Imperium is begging for massive destruction or disabling.
Virus says hi...

Because you can't keep an engineering/software secret like that for centuries built-in without someone finding it and exploiting.
Hmm, deliberately building in 'backdoors' that only nice government agencies can access...
what could possibly go wrong.

Virus says hi...

Hmm, deliberately building in 'backdoors' that only nice government agencies can access...
what could possibly go wrong.

The truth comes out- Virus could not have spread without bad security design?

And I should clarify that I've got a hull damage result where under battle damage a ship may have to 'go wireless' to maintain control/coordination over systems and becomes vulnerable to hacking at that point.

Dick Tracy had floaters and radio watches, as I recall from illustrations, never having read it or watched it beyond the movie.

Video wristwatches. Disck Tracy and his men could talk to and see each other. And if it wasn't broken, could be used to track an unconcious officer and get him to the hospital. And spaceships provided by the Lunans. Didn't use rockets, I don't remember what they used for propulsion. Disks on rods, fore and aft on the Lunan ships.

The truth comes out- Virus could not have spread without bad security design?

And I should clarify that I've got a hull damage result where under battle damage a ship may have to 'go wireless' to maintain control/coordination over systems and becomes vulnerable to hacking at that point.
In SFB-ese a ship can loose control if all it's control spaces are destroyed. And where Star Fleet Battles rules are for Star Fleet Battles, if you really need something in a pinch, you could template loss of control effects into your ACS starship combat damage.

I always figured you could "pilot" a Traveller ACS from engineering, albeit badly. Landing in a standard atmosphere with heavy battle damage might be "Impossible" task wise, but a skilled group of players might give it a shot.

If all else fails someone could reroute (hack) the ship's flight controls through a player's phone / hand held comp.

Imagine sitting on the deck holding your phone like a gameboy trying to land, and all of your fellow players' characters' lives are dependent on your character's ability to play some flight sim. :)

In SFB-ese a ship can loose control if all it's control spaces are destroyed. And where Star Fleet Battles rules are for Star Fleet Battles, if you really need something in a pinch, you could template loss of control effects into your ACS starship combat damage.

I always figured you could "pilot" a Traveller ACS from engineering, albeit badly. Landing in a standard atmosphere with heavy battle damage might be "Impossible" task wise, but a skilled group of players might give it a shot.

If all else fails someone could reroute (hack) the ship's flight controls through a player's phone / hand held comp.

Imagine sitting on the deck holding your phone like a gameboy trying to land, and all of your fellow players' characters' lives are dependent on your character's ability to play some flight sim. :)

The Argentinians fired Exocets on tapping in command codes morse code style, so certainly that can be done.

I'd be more concerned about the navigation aspects- not knowing where you are or what your vee is in orbit is Very Bad Indeed.

Back