• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Forbidden technology of the Vilani.

Or, you could imply swap out all the fancy schmancy molecular microprocessing stuff, and replace a lot of stuff with toggle switches, and fly the old fashioned way. Your most complex computer might be a 286 with a 5.25" floppy drive ... if that.

Bingo, no more worrying about virus. I'm a genius :)

I do think Virus was able to infiltrate some low-tech computer systems as well. Also, I think such a low-tech system probably wouldn't do a very good job of running a starship, anyway.

Even calculators? Or fist gen Apples with casette drives? If so, then I stand corrected, but it strikes me that the ultimate way of defeating virus would have been to deny it its environment.

Control cables on yokes and thruster valves instead of hardware modules interpolating signals via wire or fibreoptic. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Even calculators? Or fist gen Apples with casette drives? If so, then I stand corrected, but it strikes me that the ultimate way of defeating virus would have been to deny it its environment.

Control cables on yokes and thruster valves instead of hardware modules interpolating signals via wire or fibreoptic. Just my thoughts on the matter.

TL9 handheld devices were capable of transmitting virus to ship's computers.

Whcih is why my argument for virus is that it must needs be a code-as-focus psionic life form.

the Gel Packs in ST: Voyager were for system use not any part of a computer. If I remember correctly they were for transfer of power and tended to get burnt out whenever the ship received damage. computer memory was stored in bubble type chips

the Gel Packs in ST: Voyager were for system use not any part of a computer. If I remember correctly they were for transfer of power and tended to get burnt out whenever the ship received damage. computer memory was stored in bubble type chips

They suffered from Treknobabble and "As the plot demands" a lot ( *Shock* ).

Sometimes they were parts of the master computers, other times only subsystems (replicators), and sometimes did nothing at all.

The 'normal' TNG/ST:V trek computers used "isolinear" chips which were essentially optical processors/storage. And before that in TOS it was 'duotronics' which looked suspiciously like 60's/70's electronics

... Ghost in the Shell type of thing?

No pisonics in GITS. They had radios that fit inside the skull. Short range. A car with a radio or another signal booster had to be nearby for long range comm.

edit:

But brain hacks could get past the cyber brain firewalls. Some so good the victim had a virtual experience thought it was real. In the original movie there was one that effected the plot.

Last edited:
They suffered from Treknobabble and "As the plot demands" a lot ( *Shock* ).

Sometimes they were parts of the master computers, other times only subsystems (replicators), and sometimes did nothing at all.

The 'normal' TNG/ST:V trek computers used "isolinear" chips which were essentially optical processors/storage. And before that in TOS it was 'duotronics' which looked suspiciously like 60's/70's electronics

I believe the gel packs on ST:Voy were organic-based technology (IIRC), which is why data size was often referred to in "kilo-quads" and "Giga-quads", because it was based on amino-acid base pairs instead of binary code.

No pisonics in GITS. They had radios that fit inside the skull. Short range. A car with a radio or another signal booster had to be nearby for long range comm.

edit:

But brain hacks could get past the cyber brain firewalls. Some so good the victim had a virtual experience thought it was real. In the original movie there was one that effected the plot.

True. It's actually one of the few anime titles I can still watch and feel entertained--though the ending was somewhat anti-climactic, or non-cliche as a traditional Japanese ending would have had all kinds of fighting and pyrotechnics, but I digress.

I think it might be interesting to entertain a ship with a wifi setup, and then if you got some hardware and hacks in your skull, you walk on and try to hack the ship's AI by merely standing there, seemingly deep in thought.

Ho baby! I just came up with this. Some jacker walks onto a starship, he's got hacks running in his mind, and he tries to jack into the ship to steal it. He makes it to low orbit, but Starport security is waiting with a kill switch, and not only do they shut down the ship, but in the process, shut down the hijacker.

That's just ... evil :devil:

Ho baby! I just came up with this. Some jacker walks onto a starship, he's got hacks running in his mind, and he tries to jack into the ship to steal it. He makes it to low orbit, but Starport security is waiting with a kill switch, and not only do they shut down the ship, but in the process, shut down the hijacker.

That's just ... evil :devil:

Yes it is. And I can see that scenario happening. All the while he thinks he is driving to a picnic out at the lake.

It would add a whole new dynamic to the game. You and your time are trying to repossess a starship for some bank. With you is a pilot with some gray matter stuff. He doesn't need to sit in the pilot's chair, just walk on board, maybe walk near the bridge, while the rest of you clear the ship and get the engines running.

Maybe there's a pilot in low berth who's activated once you think you've taken control of the ship, and then he and your pilot start slugging it out. Maybe while the ship is still in the atmosphere it becomes unstable because of the struggle between the two minds.

I might make for some interesting gaming.

More likely said pilot hackers head would briefly light up like a lightbulb before dropping dead.

If you introduce 'cyber hacking' then you have Black ICE which can do a lot more than say 'Access Denied' to the erstwhile hacker.

I'm not familiar with the computer version of Black Ice. What would that do?

Why would both pilots die in my previous scenario?

Back