• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Frozen Watch

Do people assume the death rate presented in LBB2 should also apply to reviving members of a frozen watch?

I've always assumed that the tramp trader cold berth are repurposed animal transport methods (as per Dumarest) and that purpose designed human transport cold berths are completely safe.

It is pointless reviving a frozen watch in HG if a portion of them die immediately - that would be an automatic crew hit :)
At sufficiently high TL, one can assume they're using a variant of Medical Fast (no revival roll needed) rather than cryogenics (which does need one).

That's what MT said about cold sleep.

According TD21 article, at TL 12+ low berths are drug induced, with a variant of the fast drug, while lower TL on es are chill berths, where people is really frozzen.

Last edited:
Either CT or Mega differentiated the three types of cold berth by freeze vs thaw times.

Emergency Cold Berths are meant to have minimal freeze time, but need extra thaw time and may make a Medic's attendance more important due to clothing, position, and possible wound treatment complications.

Frozen Watch berths are the opposite; a lengthy prep and freeze process, and probable Medic attendance to check the final results, in order to allow quick and possibly unattended thaws.

Commercial Cold Berths average the two, with the advantage of advising Medic attendance at thaw but little enough that one Medic can usually handle a room full of thaws.

Do people assume the death rate presented in LBB2 should also apply to reviving members of a frozen watch?

I've always assumed that the tramp trader cold berth are repurposed animal transport methods (as per Dumarest) and that purpose designed human transport cold berths are completely safe.

It is pointless reviving a frozen watch in HG if a portion of them die immediately - that would be an automatic crew hit :)
I am wondering why the LBB didn't include that as part of its careers? How long would one be placed into a frozen watch (whether in the Navy or combat arms)? I could see a highly militarized nation-state putting t trained forces into long-term hibernation until needed for war during a peacetime or armistice situation. Sort of break glass in the event of war. It would certainly reduce salary and sustainment costs plus the time lag for recruiting and training.

I am wondering why the LBB didn't include that as part of its careers? How long would one be placed into a frozen watch (whether in the Navy or combat arms)? I could see a highly militarized nation-state putting t trained forces into long-term hibernation until needed for war during a peacetime or armistice situation. Sort of break glass in the event of war. It would certainly reduce salary and sustainment costs plus the time lag for recruiting and training.
IIRC LBB5 does have it as a term.

Have to be a pretty dystopian militaristic society to do that normally across all branches.

The Confederation has; I think most are hidden in the Sol system.

Those are well trained, highly motivated volunteers.

The Imperium might think they have enough population to absorb those as future investments, but suitable volunteers who understand what's going on, might be rare on the ground.

How long would one be placed into a frozen watch (whether in the Navy or combat arms)?

IMHO this would mainly depend on the death possibility. As per raw LBB2 rules, I guess they will be put until needed, as the danger is in revival, and limiting the number of revivals would limit the number of deaths. On MT rules, where death is very rare, they could be a yearly or mission assignment-
I could see a highly militarized nation-state putting t trained forces into long-term hibernation until needed for war during a peacetime or armistice situation. Sort of break glass in the event of war. It would certainly reduce salary and sustainment costs plus the time lag for recruiting and training.

This would have the problem of having the newly waken people in need of a refreshment course anyway, as if they have spent too much time in cold sleep, they will not know the current situation, or even how to use the current equipment, if there have been changes...

See also in some versions, (IIRC MT at least) cold sleep for too much time could have health problems...

You'd have to be out for a very long time to see technology change in the imperium. It has almost Vilani levels of anti-technology development built in. Earth has move through an average of 2-3 levels per millennia in recorded history - 5 levels in the most recent 1000 years. After that the whole rate seems to slow

I never used the death rule in an actual campaign...

IMTU I actually came up with an alternative take on the Frozen Watch (for the Army), basically a frozen "ready reserve" for emergencies that could be shipped as freight (faster and cheaper than regular troop transports, plus more efficient space-wise). Less combat troops and more medical, engineering/tech support. They'd spend some time every term awake, studying, boning up on new techniques, etc. plus getting tested to make sure they weren't suffering deterioration from the cyro - but it was sold as a great way to "get your twenty in" but stay pretty young and have a life (and a pension) afterwards.

D.

Back