• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Has anyone done done exterior views of the GURPS Interstellar Wars 400 ton LIGHTNING Class Frontier Merchant?

LTJGBeam

SOC-5
I believe the Jesse Degraff may have done the artwork for the ship in the GURPS Interstellar Wars book, but I can't confirm this.

leaving_orbit.jpg

I am trying to convert the ship to Classic Traveller, and would like to see the side, dorsal, ventral, bow, and stern elevations of the vessel. I plan on converting the deck plans to the CT Square 1.5m Grid, rather than the hex based deck plans of the GURPS Interstellar Wars book.

The ship appears to have some very subtle lines based on the various artwork and CothI member Ronnke's Emerald Monarch vimeo videos...

If there are none out there I will have to try to extrapolate the side, dorsal, ventral, bow, and stern elevations from the artwork and video out there. It's doable, but I figured I'd ask first.

Thanks in advance.

Model looks simple enough that I get @magmagmag could stamp out a rough cut in about 15 minutes.

You could probably do the same with a quick tutorial on a 3D program just eyeballing it.
The model does look fairly simple, but closer examination of the art seems to indicate there are several subtle angles on what initially appear to be large flat panels...

For example, there appears to be a slight angle on the flat plate where the fuel scoops are located. You can see it in the closeup below, crossing from upper right to lower left. Of course that might also be a pattern in the paint scheme:
Subtle Angle..PNG

Thanks for the answer.

I have problems with using 3d programs lately. I have nerve degeneration in my hands that makes precision use of CAD and 3D software extremely difficult. Luckily, my career was in Computer Software Engineering, rather than the Electronic Computer Engineering that I got my degree in. Otherwise I would have had to move into Management as my nerve degeneration began to show up. Some Engineering fields invol;ve 3D and CAD extensively, but not Software Engineering. :) So I got to continue to do the fun part of the software engineering job!

How much would @magmagmag charge to do a 3d Model of the ship? I can provide a decent amount of the artwork I've gathered to begin the project.

Thanks!

How much would @magmagmag charge to do a 3d Model of the ship?
I don't think prices for commissions have ever been discussed publicly here on the CotI forums.
However, if you are able to negotiate a price, it will probably need to be converted into ¥ as @magmagmag is Japanese and probably lives in Japan.

I don't think prices for commissions have ever been discussed publicly here on the CotI forums.
However, if you are able to negotiate a price, it will probably need to be converted into ¥ as @magmagmag is Japanese and probably lives in Japan.
Thanks. I am interested in having a detailed 3d model done. As detailed as possible. Hell, with a 3d Model, I could print the model and have a physical reference for doing the deck plans, and for use on the tabletop.

How would the process get started? Is there a protocol in place here in the forums?

If conversion of funds is necessary, I would think that having an invoice sent through PayPal would be doable. I have had custom work done through some modelers in Britain with PayPal being used to convert to Pounds. PayPal does international currencies very well.

Back