• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General How does maneuver drive propel?

As I often say, Traveller is a story sim not a space sim.

IMTU that highly disruptive m-drive field messes with all outgoing incidental EM including IR/UV such that detection gets limited to million km or less ranges. That is a deliberate choice for specific game effect.
Then why doesn't the ship inside the field melt, or at least get so hot it kills the crew?

Yes I think you should always start with what you want ITU and then work backwards. Once FTL travel has been introduced all bets are off and you can make your space magic do whatever you want.
That is true, but your explanations should be consistent and not lead to unintended consequences.

That is true, but your explanations should be consistent and not lead to unintended consequences.
Maybe? Certainly it needs to be internally consistent enough for you and your players to feel they "get" the rules of your universe and not make it feel like you are constantly changing the laws of physics you should be fine.

Referee: Join my Traveller campaign. This works like the others but in this one ships that "go silent" outside of CT scan range are stealthy and difficult to detect.

Player Smart Like You: Doesn't that break the laws of thermodynamics?

Referee: Um sure.

Player Smart Like You: That must change the nature of society as we know it.

Referee: No it only happens in this one particular situation.

And then you get to decide if that a campaign you want to be in.

The 77 edition does, and interviews with Frank Chadwick and Dave Nilsen have them tell us the reason they went with HEPlaR for TNE is that reaction drives were the intention all along for CT - it's why the HG79 m-drive is a fusion drive that can be used as an energy weapon.

Note that 288 turns is the equivalent of 48 hours of continuous thrust.
Ah, I may be looking at post 77 Book 2. Because in that CT edition it is not a rocket but non reaction drive

Ah, I may be looking at post 77 Book 2. Because in that CT edition it is not a rocket but non reaction drive
Yup, by HG80 and the revision to LBB2 in 81 there was no mention of reaction drive. There was also no mention of reactionless drive either but hey ho.

MT in no way dumped or even hinted at non Newtonian movement in real space
Oh yes it did.

Movement: Movement speed is specified based on the unit’s
maneuver drive value For example, a unit with a maneuver
drive of 1 can start out from a standing start with a movement
speed of 1 for the turn The unit can move a maximum of one
square at movement speed 1.
Each unit must specify a movement speed to be used for
the turn. The movement speed represents the maximum
number of squares the unit can move that turn, however, the
unit may move any number of squares less than the maximum,
or it may even remain stationary (25,000 km per square is a
lot of space-in effect, the unit is circling in the square)

A unit may change speed each combat round by up to its
maneuver drive value Thus if a unit with a maneuver drive6
is moving at speed 10, the next time it takes a turn, it may
reduce its speed to as low as speed 4, or it may increase its
speed to as high as speed 16 or any value in between. Or it
may leave its speed unchanged at 10.

the OTU so far remains Newtonian so no dogfighting.
Newtonian dogfighting looks like Babylon 5 Starfuries.
INCREDIBLY short range (visual to Mk I Eyeball) rather than any kind of beyond visual range stuff (measured in increments of 0.1 light seconds!).
No, that's per the rules description of the M-rives. An artists drawing has ZERO to do with the RAW.
WHUT. :mad:
Understood on sci-fi that uses thrust based drives, but that's not M drive in the game, is it?
Reaction (throwing matter out the back) or reactionless (gravitics) ... it doesn't matter to the physics.
1G of maneuver acceleration "behaves the same" whether it is produced by a reaction drive or a reactionless drive.
HOW the thrust is produced may be different, but the acceleration that results from that thrust (producing velocity changes) is the same.
ships that "go silent" outside of CT scan range are stealthy and difficult to detect.
Sensor range is the limit of (reliable) detection and tracking.
Stuff that is "beyond sensor range" by definition cannot be detected and/or tracked.

All "stealth" does is "debuff the detection and/or tracking" range so you can get "closer" before being detected.
Stealth is not an invisibility/invincibility shield ... it's a "don't notice me" effect.

Personally, I would argue that a craft that is drifting on inertia and running on batteries/(jump) capacitors (so no fusion reaction, meaning no neutrino signature to pick up) would be incredibly difficult to detect. Basically, you "bank" your EPs ahead of time in the batteries, set your course, cut your maneuver drive to zero delta velocity and just DRIFT into range of your target. Use low energy computer (model/2) and weapons (missile, sandcaster) and you can have a "dark fighter" that is capable of making surprise attacks. Use hull configuration: 8 or 9 to make things REALLY difficult for an adversary to (correctly) identify your craft while running silent.
LBB2.77 was explicitly reaction rocketry thrust.
LBB5.80 moved to reactionless drive thrust (just add EPs).
LBB2.81 followed suit and moved to reactionless drive thrust.

Yup, by HG80 and the revision to LBB2 in 81 there was no mention of reaction drive. There was also no mention of reactionless drive either but hey ho.
All version of LBB2 use propellantless drives. As long as there is power you can maneuver. Unlimited Delta-V in other words.

Propellentless is not the same as reactionless - a reactionless drive breaks Newton's third law.
Not if it is grav drive. But, propellentless is the same as reactionless. Propellant being the REACTION mass. Without a REACTION MASS there is no propulsion from a REACTION drive.

I think you have to have some form of heat exhaust.

Reverse osmosis.
For a atomic based power plant on a space ship there is only one way to move heat out. That is by radiating in that part of the EM spectrum. Convection and conduction won't work. So no exhaust

Depends on the edition.

You do need a large enough gravitational field for the manoeuvre drive to anchor on, and freely manoeuvre upto a thousand diameters.

The 77 edition does, and interviews with Frank Chadwick and Dave Nilsen have them tell us the reason they went with HEPlaR for TNE is that reaction drives were the intention all along for CT - it's why the HG79 m-drive is a fusion drive that can be used as an energy weapon.

Note that 288 turns is the equivalent of 48 hours of continuous thrust.
I didn't know there was so much difference between the 1977 and 1981 editions of LBB2 until your comment drove me to look. In the 1981 edition it has the formula and rough travel times on page 10, and talks about the fuel (10Pn) being enough for "4 weeks" (p15).

The 1977 edition uses the same formula and says there's enough fuel for 288 accelerations (pp5, 6). Using the table from 1981, and the 48 hours you mentioned, a ship with a low M drive couldn't get very far in the system, could it? The 1981 typical travel times chart (p10) says it could probably make 50m km, but would have to refuel. If the destination didn't have fuel, the M1 ship could only go maybe 20m km.

I didn't know there was so much difference between the 1977 and 1981 editions of LBB2 until your comment drove me to look. In the 1981 edition it has the formula and rough travel times on page 10, and talks about the fuel (10Pn) being enough for "4 weeks" (p15).
Right. Because the '81 edition doesn't use reaction drives. Hence no need to track how much you maneuver. The fusion PP uses fuel at the same rate whether powering the M-Drive or not.

Back