• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

In Traveller Stats, what would you look like to a GM?

Spiderfish
Since the average man can apparently bench 70% or so of his weight and the average British man weighs perhaps 13 stone/182lbs this is about 130lbs, a pretty unimpressive performance if you ask me.
70% seems a little low, not that I doubt the number, it just may be more of a reflection of how out of shape people are in Britian (and certainly in America as well). I can readily do 70% of my bodyweight even though really out-of-shape, but rate myself as a 6 Strength. I used to work out with 120% of my body weight but would have only rated myself an 8 compared to the likes of professional athletes and bodybuilders.
(I didn't fail my aging rolls, just suceeded too well on the wife, kids and career rolls ;) )

Let's talk about the Intelligence rating next

120% id pretty good, since I assume the Traveller strength stat to refer to total not lb/lb strength your strength rating would depend on your total 1RM though.

70% is low, but it's an overall average.

I suppose you'd base inteligence on the ability to learn or something like that as opposed to a raw IQ score.

Been meaning to chip in on this thread for a couple days.

Hm, using books 1 & 4 with a dash of CotI and MT and following the maxim of "honest but not humble":

UPP: 577A98 Age 41 (always a klutz, failed a few aging rolls)
1 term Army (Cavalry), final rank E-5
Attempt College, blew success roll; now in 6th term as "Other"

Combat Rifleman-1
Heavy Weapons-1
Tracked Vehicles-1
Wheeled Vehicles-2
Recon-1
Stealth-1
Tactics-1
Leader-1
Mechanic-1
Electronics-1
Computer-2
Admin-1
Academic (History)-1
Medic-0

If there was a generic troubleshooting skill I'd take that at level 2.

-John

568A97 Age 41 (definitely failed a couple of aging rolls)
Former Army Major, now a Scientists

1 Term College
3 Terms Army Officer (Infantry) O3
1.5 Terms Academic

Skills
Ground Car 2
Motorcycle 1
Combat Rifleman 1
Assault Rifle 1
Heavy Weapons 1
Leadership 2
Tactics 2
Admin 1
Research 2
Liaison 1
JOT 1
Linguistics 3 (Fluent in English, Proficient in Serbo-Croatian, Rusty in Russian, functionally illiterate in German).
Parachutists 1 (it was in JTAS as IIRC)

Hmmm hard to explain in such an abstract system... I'll give it a try:

788AA8 "Urs", 24, Scholar (pre carreer phase)

Army Home Guard - University

Rifle-0
Heavy Weapons-0
Tactics-0
Communication-0
Recon-0
Survival-0
Camouflage-0
Ground Craft-1
Latin-1
English-3 (well, it's hard to express in stats; I'm not native, but I guess for a non-native I'm pretty good, judging on my professors, marks and feedback)
Ancient Greek-0
Spanish-1
History-2
Research-2
Instruction-1
Computer-1
JOT-1
Philosphy-0

Urs

Somehow I missed this when it came out.
Age 56 (2 terms Navy [E-5], 3 terms machinist, 3.5 terms fast food, and 1 term other)

958BA(G)7

Yes I think that even though I missed a few aging rolls I am still stronger than most men half my age and can take a lot of abuse so I used 9 strength and 8 endurance. If there was a speed rating it would be about 4. In other words I'm strong as an ox and even slower. The G in education is from the school of hard knocks.

Skills
rifle 2 shotgun 2 pistol 2 computer 3
mechanical 3 electrical 1 steward 3 JOT 5
Wheeled 2 tracked 0 carpentry 0 leader 2
instruction 2

The JOT 5 is actually 0.5 in a lot more things than I want to list. I can do a lot of things, but not well enough to make a living doing them.

This must have dropped off the "45 day" list before I joined, so here goes:

UPP: 768BB8 Army (Wet Navy 2 Terms), final rank E6. AGE: 43

Failed 1 STR roll, 2 DEX rolls and 1 END roll (bad knee).

Term History:
Admitted to college, failed success roll.
Army 2 terms (Wet Navy)
Academic 1.5 terms (MS Degree Engineering)
Bureaucrat (2.5 terms) (Engineer/Manager)

Skills:
Pistol-1
Shotgun-1
Rifle-1
Groundcar-1 (took a driving course)
Computer-1
Mechanical-3
Electrical-1
Engineering-1
Fixed Wing Aircraft-1 (pilots license)
Admin-1
Instruction-2
Liaison-1
JOT-1
Science (astronomy)-2
Performance (dance)-1 (I do folk dancing)

Not a great Traveller Character, but I could help out in the engineroom. I would LOVE to add Gravitics and True Traveller Engineering.

Here's me.

Bureaucrat (Executive) 775CBA 5 Terms Age 36

Jack-of-all-Trades-5 (primary skill)
Leader-3
Persuasion-2
Admin-1
Broker-1
Liaison-1
Streetwise-1
Carousing-1
Linguistics-1 (not-quite-fluent but conversant in 4 languages)
Artisan-3 (Musician)
Astronomy-2 (active student)
Computer-2 (professional skill - works for a software conglomerate)
History-2 (active student)
Physics-1 (active student)
Medical-1 (basic life saving training)
Vacc Suit-2 (Advanced SCUBA)
Zero-G Operations-2 (Advanced SCUBA)
Hand Combat-1 (Tae Kwon Do)
Animal Handling-1 (Equestrian)
Survival-1 (spent summers camping in Adirondack Mountains)
Ground Vehicle (Wheeled)-1 (defensive driver training)

History: An early attendee to university at age 16, this character has risen the ranks of the MegaCorps to an executive-level position by innovating new approaches and solutions, and understanding the interpersonal landscape - far more than by diligent skill in any one specific field or endeavor.

Keklas Rekobah - 647897

Height: 1.86m
Weight: 105kg

HOMEWORLD: Terra (1827 Solomani Rim F-867-969-8); "Earth" circa -2515 ICE.

TERMS:
Wet Navy: 1.50 (Final Rank: E6)
Bureaucracy: 2.00 (Final Rank: GS-10 step 1)
Other: 4.25

SKILLS: Electronics-4, Administration-3, Computer-2, Jack-O-Trades-2, Steward-2, Vehicle (Ground Car)-2, Vehicle (Aircraft, Fixed Wing)-1
Vehicle (Speedboat)-1, Mechanical-1, Science (Astronomy)-1, Science (Medical)-1, Performance (Singing)-1, Weapon (Shotgun)-1, and Weapon (Blade/Machete)-1.

APPEARANCE: Keklas Rekobah (not his real name) presents as a slightly overweight middle-aged human male, with dark brown hair, hazel eyes, a slight limp, and a self-effacing and cheerful attitude.

FAMILY: Married, with 3 sons.

PSIONICS: His psionic potential has never been tested, although he has been suspected of telempathically projecting feelings of frustration and irritation to those around him -- especially those in authority.

GENERAL: His electronics skills are such that he can successfully troubleshoot and repair nearly any piece of electronic equipment of his native tech level or lower, provided direct spares are available. He can fabricate a new spare or design an entirely new system at DM-2 on a difficult task roll, and DM-0 on an easy task roll, again at his native tech level or lower.

Most of the time he is content to earn an hourly wage, but has been known to free-lance as an actor, writer, radio announcer, beauty-pageant judge, teacher/trainer, roofer, plumber, electrician, and pugilist.

His low DEX score comes from several service and work-related injuries, the scars of which are most evident on his hands and remaining fingers.

He is a willing worker. His seemingly slow pace belies a thoroughness that is lacking in most of his peers. His knowledge of all things electronics has placed him in situations where people with greater education have attempted to exploit him for their own gain, but he somehow always manages to receive due credit.

Those who have crossed him have felt his vengeance, albeit in subtle ways. He is a pacifist, and avoids direct confrontations whenever possible; practicing a form of passive resistance to aggression that eventually drives his tormentors into a self-destructive rage. (See 'Psionics' above).

(Edited 070117, just to "bump" this thread.)

Back