• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Manchuria, hegemon of the Chinese Arm

If anything, the former Bavarian colonies will be pro-France, and France would be more than happy to provide them support against Germany.

But what about the ex-Bavarian colony in Rho Eridani, could be pro-France, but the closest French settlements in that area are small outpost located in D'Artagnon and Davout while the area is crowded with full Manchurian colonies; beside that, the French are quite busy in the French Arm, now add the uncomfortable situation with the Texans.

In 2300AD they are still a German colony, albeit with a great deal of tension with the controlling nation. As a colony settled by a French-allied nation, their relationship with the Manchurian colonies is, at best, strained. Heidelshiemat shipping tends to suffer a great deal of harassment as it passes through Manchurian-controlled space. Even with German control, they are still a European colony, and not suffered gladly by the major power in the region.

In 2320, the focus of support by the German government on the French Arm has convinced Heidelsheimat that it would be best to go it alone. It is possible that they would get tacit support from the Manchurians in this regard. From their standpoint, it is better to have an independent, but weak, Heidelsheimat, rather than a colony enjoying the full support of a European power. Given the destruction wreaked along the French Arm, Manchuria may even be concerned that the focus of exploration and colonization will shift to the Chinese Arm, especially as the Life Foundation 'bridge' allows ships to bypass much of Manchurian-controlled space.

Manchu reaction to New Liverpool

This is a very interesting thread. Especially now I'm trying my hand at some of the larger scale geopolitical background.
I'm trying to come up with a working backstory for the FPK colony on Syuhlahm mentioned in the Colonial Atlas.

This was an FPK 'sponsored' colony started around the same time that the Manchurian colony was initiated. But who did they sponsor? In my take the colony was originally some joint venture to tap into the -then already known- biosphere of Syuhlahm. Later it became a proper government colony, though within strict guidelines set up on concordance with the leading nation on the world: Manchuria.

But how would the Manchurian government respond to a British colony on one of her worlds? How much do the Brits want a presence on Syuhlahm?

I think that, given that most Manchurian colonies are only moderately succesful, the FPK still has a hand in the goings on in New Liverpool. The Manchu's actually wanted the FPK there in order to set the colony up properly. Now they're stuck with a fait accompli that could either be a) a thorn in their side; or b) a pearl in their oyster.

Thoughts?

Back