• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Merchants Run

Sigg, had you seen this post above and can you help?

Originally posted by far-trader:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BillDowns:
Far-trader, I don't have 2ed. Really, I don't.
Ack, sorry 'bout that, I really meant to address that question earlier and forgot :(

I'm sure we can bring you up to speed. We being my evil twin Sigg
file_22.gif

I don't have access to 1st edition anymore to note the differences but I don't think they are too many and I'm pretty sure Sigg knows them. If I ask really nice and promise not to just throw his entry into the virtual trashcan maybe he'll help me out on this...

Pleeeeeeze :D
</font>[/QUOTE]

Sigg, had you seen this post above and can you help?

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BillDowns:
Far-trader, I don't have 2ed. Really, I don't.
Ack, sorry 'bout that, I really meant to address that question earlier and forgot :(

I'm sure we can bring you up to speed. We being my evil twin Sigg
file_22.gif

I don't have access to 1st edition anymore to note the differences but I don't think they are too many and I'm pretty sure Sigg knows them. If I ask really nice and promise not to just throw his entry into the virtual trashcan maybe he'll help me out on this...

Pleeeeeeze :D
</font>[/QUOTE]

Sigg seems busy. So here's a stab in the dark BillDowns...

I think the biggest, if not only difference is the Jump Drive rules. First off in 2nd Ed you have to have a power plant to at least match the bigger of your jump drive or maneuver drive, rather than just the maneuver drive. And second the fuel use for jump also changed a little, so that you no longer burn all your jump fuel even if you jump less than the maximum possible. For example, a 400ton J2 1st Ed would burn 80tons fuel if it did a J1 or a J2, the same 400ton J2 2nd Ed would only burn 40tons fuel if it did a J1.

I have a vague recollection of some drive table differences but I'm not sure. Let's give Sigg a little more time to see if he can summarize, I know he's got the info at hand. I think. There should really be an update sheet somewhere for this
(I kind of recall it being talked about somewhere... )

Sigg seems busy. So here's a stab in the dark BillDowns...

I think the biggest, if not only difference is the Jump Drive rules. First off in 2nd Ed you have to have a power plant to at least match the bigger of your jump drive or maneuver drive, rather than just the maneuver drive. And second the fuel use for jump also changed a little, so that you no longer burn all your jump fuel even if you jump less than the maximum possible. For example, a 400ton J2 1st Ed would burn 80tons fuel if it did a J1 or a J2, the same 400ton J2 2nd Ed would only burn 40tons fuel if it did a J1.

I have a vague recollection of some drive table differences but I'm not sure. Let's give Sigg a little more time to see if he can summarize, I know he's got the info at hand. I think. There should really be an update sheet somewhere for this
(I kind of recall it being talked about somewhere... )

Also note, as I've seen some people get this wrong, when checking for cargo (freight) lots you roll the dice in the table and apply the modifiers. This is the total number of LOTS of that type (Major, minor, or incidental) of cargo. The next step seems to get missed by some. You roll 1d6 PER LOT to determine the number of pallets (to apply a term) and that is in the number of tons (10, 5, or 1) per type (Major, minor, or incidental) respectively.

So if you roll 3 Major cargo lots it might break down as:

Lot 1 (roll 1d6) is 4 pallets of 10tons each = 40tons

Lot 2 (roll 1d6) is 2 pallets of 10 tons each = 20tons

Lot 3 (roll 1d6) is 6 pallets of 10 tons each = 60tons

Total Major cargos = 120tons (not 30tons as some have done)
That's not in my LBB2. Is that from 2ed?

In my LBB2, you roll 1d6 for each pop factor, the result being the number of 5 ton lots.

Also note, as I've seen some people get this wrong, when checking for cargo (freight) lots you roll the dice in the table and apply the modifiers. This is the total number of LOTS of that type (Major, minor, or incidental) of cargo. The next step seems to get missed by some. You roll 1d6 PER LOT to determine the number of pallets (to apply a term) and that is in the number of tons (10, 5, or 1) per type (Major, minor, or incidental) respectively.

So if you roll 3 Major cargo lots it might break down as:

Lot 1 (roll 1d6) is 4 pallets of 10tons each = 40tons

Lot 2 (roll 1d6) is 2 pallets of 10 tons each = 20tons

Lot 3 (roll 1d6) is 6 pallets of 10 tons each = 60tons

Total Major cargos = 120tons (not 30tons as some have done)
That's not in my LBB2. Is that from 2ed?

In my LBB2, you roll 1d6 for each pop factor, the result being the number of 5 ton lots.

Interesting, more to this difference than I remembered I guess
Yep, that's second edition, I'll type up the trade tables and get them posted up here sometime tonight.

Interesting, more to this difference than I remembered I guess
Yep, that's second edition, I'll type up the trade tables and get them posted up here sometime tonight.

Available Passengers:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;"> Origin
World Pop High Middle Low
0 - - -
1 - 1D-2 2D-6
2 1D-1D 1D 2D
3 2D-2D 2D-1D 2D
4 2D-1D 2D-1D 3D-1D
5 2D-1D 3D-2D 3D-1D
6 3D-2D 3D-2D 3D
7 3D-2D 3D-1D 3D
8 3D-1D 3D-1D 4D
9 3D-1D 3D 5D
A 3D 4D 6D</pre>[/QUOTE]DMs for destination world:

If Pop 4- DM = -3
If Pop 8+ DM = +3
If Red Zone DM = -12 and no middle or low
If Amber Zone DM = -6
Tech Level DM = (origin TL - destination TL)

Passenger rates:

High passage pays Cr10,000 less life support cost Cr2,000

Middle passage pays Cr8,000 less life support cost Cr2,000

Low passage pays Cr1,000 less life support cost Cr100

-------

Available Cargo:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;"> Origin
World Pop Major Minor Incidental
0 - - -
1 1D-4 1D-4 -
2 1D-2 1D-1 -
3 1D-1 1D -
4 1D 1D+1 -
5 1D+1 1D+2 -
6 1D+2 1D+3 1D-3
7 1D+3 1D+4 1D-3
8 1D+4 1D+5 1D-2
9 1D+5 1D+6 1D-2
A 1D+6 1D+7 1D</pre>[/QUOTE]DMs for destination world:

If Pop 4- DM = -4
If Pop 8+ DM = +1
If Red Zone no cargo
If Amber Zone no Major cargo

After rolling the number of cargo lots for each type (Major, Minor and Incidental) roll 1D for each lot to determine the size. Multiply the size by 10 for Major cargo, 5 for Minor cargo, and 1 for Incidental cargo. Major cargo will range from 10tons to 60tons per lot, Minor cargo will range from 5tons to 30tons per lot, and Incidental cargo will range from 1ton to 6tons per lot. Each cargo lot is a shipment that can not be divided but the shipper can choose which full lots to take to better fit the cargo hold available.

Cargo rates:

Cargo pays Cr1,000 per ton and there is no cost involved.

Hope that helps.

Available Passengers:

World Pop High Middle Low
0 - - -
1 - 1D-2 2D-6
2 1D-1D 1D 2D
3 2D-2D 2D-1D 2D
4 2D-1D 2D-1D 3D-1D
5 2D-1D 3D-2D 3D-1D
6 3D-2D 3D-2D 3D
7 3D-2D 3D-1D 3D
8 3D-1D 3D-1D 4D
9 3D-1D 3D 5D
A 3D 4D 6D</pre>[/QUOTE]DMs for destination world:

If Pop 4- DM = -3
If Pop 8+ DM = +3
If Red Zone DM = -12 and no middle or low
If Amber Zone DM = -6

Passenger rates:

-------

Available Cargo:

World Pop Major Minor Incidental
0 - - -
1 1D-4 1D-4 -
2 1D-2 1D-1 -
3 1D-1 1D -
4 1D 1D+1 -
5 1D+1 1D+2 -
6 1D+2 1D+3 1D-3
7 1D+3 1D+4 1D-3
8 1D+4 1D+5 1D-2
9 1D+5 1D+6 1D-2
A 1D+6 1D+7 1D</pre>[/QUOTE]DMs for destination world:

If Pop 4- DM = -4
If Pop 8+ DM = +1
If Red Zone no cargo
If Amber Zone no Major cargo

After rolling the number of cargo lots for each type (Major, Minor and Incidental) roll 1D for each lot to determine the size. Multiply the size by 10 for Major cargo, 5 for Minor cargo, and 1 for Incidental cargo. Major cargo will range from 10tons to 60tons per lot, Minor cargo will range from 5tons to 30tons per lot, and Incidental cargo will range from 1ton to 6tons per lot. Each cargo lot is a shipment that can not be divided but the shipper can choose which full lots to take to better fit the cargo hold available.

Cargo rates:

Cargo pays Cr1,000 per ton and there is no cost involved.

Hope that helps.

Just a note, while the Supp 3 data says to treat the whole subsector as an Amber Zone we'll be ignoring that for this exercise. I figure it applies only within the Imperial border and those out here know the risks and won't let it interfere with commerce. Trade out here is going to be hard enough without that little wrinkle

Just a note, while the Supp 3 data says to treat the whole subsector as an Amber Zone we'll be ignoring that for this exercise. I figure it applies only within the Imperial border and those out here know the risks and won't let it interfere with commerce. Trade out here is going to be hard enough without that little wrinkle

Passenger rates:

What does that mean? A high passenger pays Cr8,000 and middle Cr6,000 ?

Passenger rates:

What does that mean? A high passenger pays Cr8,000 and middle Cr6,000 ?

Not quite, I was trying to present it as a concise revenue statement. A high passenger pays Cr10,000 (and so on) for a ticket. The passage provider (you) has to pay for life support to the tune of Cr2,000 (and so on) to cover the 2 weeks of the trip (generally a week in jump and a few days each side of that in port and travelling between the port and the jump point.

Not quite, I was trying to present it as a concise revenue statement. A high passenger pays Cr10,000 (and so on) for a ticket. The passage provider (you) has to pay for life support to the tune of Cr2,000 (and so on) to cover the 2 weeks of the trip (generally a week in jump and a few days each side of that in port and travelling between the port and the jump point.

And I forgot to inlcude the cargo rates. Cargo pays Cr1,000 per ton carried. And there is no cost to the shipper.

I wonder if the speculative trade rules in the "Trade and Commerce" section (should be pg 42-44 of your Book 2 I think) are the same?

One roll on a D6 x D6 table with base prices, purchase and resale DMs based on the trade codes, and Brokers, Bribery, Admin, and an Actual Value table sound like what you have?

And I forgot to inlcude the cargo rates. Cargo pays Cr1,000 per ton carried. And there is no cost to the shipper.

I wonder if the speculative trade rules in the "Trade and Commerce" section (should be pg 42-44 of your Book 2 I think) are the same?

One roll on a D6 x D6 table with base prices, purchase and resale DMs based on the trade codes, and Brokers, Bribery, Admin, and an Actual Value table sound like what you have?

I think Dekalb - Entrope provides the best potential. Sort of bypasses Querion proper.

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;"> Averages
From To J Hi Mi Lo Freight

Dekalb Entrope 2 3 7 14 122
Entrope Dekalb 2 19 29 39 724

Max per round trip: 22 36 53 846

Max avg income (gross) per round trip:
KCr 220 + 288 + 53 + 846 = 1407.

Minus all costs.</pre>[/QUOTE]A possible MCr1.4 gross per month. About a third of that is passengers.

I think Dekalb - Entrope provides the best potential. Sort of bypasses Querion proper.

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;"> Averages
From To J Hi Mi Lo Freight

Dekalb Entrope 2 3 7 14 122
Entrope Dekalb 2 19 29 39 724

Max per round trip: 22 36 53 846

Max avg income (gross) per round trip:
KCr 220 + 288 + 53 + 846 = 1407.

Minus all costs.</pre>[/QUOTE]A possible MCr1.4 gross per month. About a third of that is passengers.

Back