• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Merchants Run

Originally posted by boomslang:
I always figured that the 1dt of "luggage" per High Pass is the in-stateroom carry-on allowance...
I don't think there's room in a standard stateroom for 1ton of carry on. You can find my take on the layout here (near the bottom of the page):

Starship Deckplan Guide

And if it was the In-Stateroom allowance then it should be the same for middle passage since they also get the full stateroom, just not the attention of a steward.

Originally posted by boomslang:
I always figured that the 1dt of "luggage" per High Pass is the in-stateroom carry-on allowance...
I don't think there's room in a standard stateroom for 1ton of carry on. You can find my take on the layout here (near the bottom of the page):

Starship Deckplan Guide

And if it was the In-Stateroom allowance then it should be the same for middle passage since they also get the full stateroom, just not the attention of a steward.

Oh, and I don't see anything in LBB2 about a baggage allowance. So, I assumed 2 suitcases and 2 carry-ons per passenger....

Oh, and I don't see anything in LBB2 about a baggage allowance. So, I assumed 2 suitcases and 2 carry-ons per passenger....

Originally posted by Fritz88:
It's in the front of Book 2 (2nd Ed at least) under the Interstellar Travel heading in the Passage descriptions.

It actually says to allow Working Passage to have 1,000kg too, but that always seemed silly to me. I figure 100kg is enough for crew, hired or working for passage.

It's in the front of Book 2 (2nd Ed at least) under the Interstellar Travel heading in the Passage descriptions.

It actually says to allow Working Passage to have 1,000kg too, but that always seemed silly to me. I figure 100kg is enough for crew, hired or working for passage.

LBB2, 1ed, page 2.

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">High - 1 ton
Middle - 100 kilos
Working - 1 ton
Low - 10 kilos</pre>[/QUOTE]

LBB2, 1ed, page 2.

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">High - 1 ton
Middle - 100 kilos
Working - 1 ton
Low - 10 kilos</pre>[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by far-trader:

Starship Deckplan Guide

It's an interesting conundrum. The average household refrigerator is only about 1/8th of a dton (closed), so the footprint isn't all that bad. Four steamer trunks might max out at 8 cubic meters total (and be stackable, I'd hope). And remember that everything (including the fresher) in a stateroom is "hide-away", so you can only deploy what you need only when you need it.

I'd venture that the 1 dton maximum baggage allowance is mostly for the convenience of the Steward, so high-maintenance passengers aren't constantly needing access to the main hold (which is a security risk each and every time). I would doubt that even the most fashion-conscious clotheshorse would need an entire dton's worth of wardrobe changes in one jump-week, but you never know...

The reason the Mid Pass doesn't get so much is probably just to cut down on the Small Package Trade; if they want to carry something valuable with them, they'll be encouraged to buy cargo space. Likewise, without a proper Steward to assist them, they are d4mn3d sure not going to be wrangling their own steamer trunks (and grav bikes, and valet robots, and immersive entertainment systems, and whatnot) down my vessel's narrow passageways, banging into the walls, chipping the paint as they go around corners, scuffing my deckplates, et cetera...

Starship Deckplan Guide

It's an interesting conundrum. The average household refrigerator is only about 1/8th of a dton (closed), so the footprint isn't all that bad. Four steamer trunks might max out at 8 cubic meters total (and be stackable, I'd hope). And remember that everything (including the fresher) in a stateroom is "hide-away", so you can only deploy what you need only when you need it.

I'd venture that the 1 dton maximum baggage allowance is mostly for the convenience of the Steward, so high-maintenance passengers aren't constantly needing access to the main hold (which is a security risk each and every time). I would doubt that even the most fashion-conscious clotheshorse would need an entire dton's worth of wardrobe changes in one jump-week, but you never know...

The reason the Mid Pass doesn't get so much is probably just to cut down on the Small Package Trade; if they want to carry something valuable with them, they'll be encouraged to buy cargo space. Likewise, without a proper Steward to assist them, they are d4mn3d sure not going to be wrangling their own steamer trunks (and grav bikes, and valet robots, and immersive entertainment systems, and whatnot) down my vessel's narrow passageways, banging into the walls, chipping the paint as they go around corners, scuffing my deckplates, et cetera...

I've always been a bit mystified by that myself, but rationalized it as follows...
OK, I'll buy that. Early-arrivals wanting the best staterooms, making the Purser & Steward's jobs easier by allowing leisurely boarding & stowage, et cetera.

Also, this is why I flatly insist on a straight 150 hours per Jump IMTU; it leaves an 18-hour window to get to and from the planet and clear customs before the clock starts on the traditional full "week" in port...

I've always been a bit mystified by that myself, but rationalized it as follows...
OK, I'll buy that. Early-arrivals wanting the best staterooms, making the Purser & Steward's jobs easier by allowing leisurely boarding & stowage, et cetera.

Also, this is why I flatly insist on a straight 150 hours per Jump IMTU; it leaves an 18-hour window to get to and from the planet and clear customs before the clock starts on the traditional full "week" in port...

Yep, I think I can work with you on the time in jump. My CT universe has always been a week in space (jump and normal) in usual circumstances. It only takes about 8 hours at most to transit to or from 100d of a world and is included in that one week travel time in the simple method. Fits your 150 hours flat quite nicely.

In a more complete accounting of time you might shave off enough hours and minutes over the course of a year to gain a couple days, or more with a fast (high G) ship, over the course of a year.

When was the variable time in jump space introduced? MT?

In any case, even then my take on it was not that the time was unknown or random, just that it varied for the jump and the trip to and from 100d depending on the actual distances. And you always knew precisely how long jump should take, and precisely where you should come out. It was only in the case of a misjump that all those numbers went out the airlock, and sometimes the first clue that anything was wrong was when the ship didn't drop out of jump space at the appropriate time.

Yep, I think I can work with you on the time in jump. My CT universe has always been a week in space (jump and normal) in usual circumstances. It only takes about 8 hours at most to transit to or from 100d of a world and is included in that one week travel time in the simple method. Fits your 150 hours flat quite nicely.

In a more complete accounting of time you might shave off enough hours and minutes over the course of a year to gain a couple days, or more with a fast (high G) ship, over the course of a year.

In any case, even then my take on it was not that the time was unknown or random, just that it varied for the jump and the trip to and from 100d depending on the actual distances. And you always knew precisely how long jump should take, and precisely where you should come out. It was only in the case of a misjump that all those numbers went out the airlock, and sometimes the first clue that anything was wrong was when the ship didn't drop out of jump space at the appropriate time.

All the time you might save is easily consumed by one extra-fastidious Bwap bureaucrat and/or a "fun" adventure like "Exit Visa", so it has yet to be a problem IMTU... :D

The 168 hours plus/minus 10% was introduced in MWM's "Jumpspace" article in dead-tree JTAS. Given all the additional headaches that article created while trying to solve some problems, I have always considered it a "variant". The possibly-more-than-a-week-long jumps are also part of the SOM, IIRC.

IMTU, we rely upon the precise 150 hour jump duration as a natural chronometer, to keep calendars and navigational fixes accurate without having to carry a clock back to Capital every year for resynching... indeed, the "hour" is defined as 1/150th the duration of a jump, as measured with atomic-scale accuracy...

All the time you might save is easily consumed by one extra-fastidious Bwap bureaucrat and/or a "fun" adventure like "Exit Visa", so it has yet to be a problem IMTU... :D

The 168 hours plus/minus 10% was introduced in MWM's "Jumpspace" article in dead-tree JTAS. Given all the additional headaches that article created while trying to solve some problems, I have always considered it a "variant". The possibly-more-than-a-week-long jumps are also part of the SOM, IIRC.

IMTU, we rely upon the precise 150 hour jump duration as a natural chronometer, to keep calendars and navigational fixes accurate without having to carry a clock back to Capital every year for resynching... indeed, the "hour" is defined as 1/150th the duration of a jump, as measured with atomic-scale accuracy...

I like that chronometer idea, consider it swiped

Back