• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Merchants Run

Well robject has done everyone a major boon, again

You now have what is probably the best case to present to the lender as far as revenue goes. Just don't forget to factor that initial trip out from Thanber to Dekalb and the final one back for the annual maintenance and accounting ;) And the fact that it doesn't quite work out to even weeks. You will be a week overdue at the end if you just go back and forth, or have to use some extra sidetrip(s) to make it work out right.

So that gives you a budget mark and some guide as to how to configure your ship. Of course once you're actually trading you may get a speculative cargo lot that will send you off route for a windfall.

Well robject has done everyone a major boon, again

You now have what is probably the best case to present to the lender as far as revenue goes. Just don't forget to factor that initial trip out from Thanber to Dekalb and the final one back for the annual maintenance and accounting ;) And the fact that it doesn't quite work out to even weeks. You will be a week overdue at the end if you just go back and forth, or have to use some extra sidetrip(s) to make it work out right.

So that gives you a budget mark and some guide as to how to configure your ship. Of course once you're actually trading you may get a speculative cargo lot that will send you off route for a windfall.

Originally posted by robject:
I think Dekalb - Entrope provides the best potential. Sort of bypasses Querion proper.
I can live with that
Maybe like I said some speculation will drive you to other systems ;)

Originally posted by robject:
I think Dekalb - Entrope provides the best potential. Sort of bypasses Querion proper.
I can live with that
Maybe like I said some speculation will drive you to other systems ;)

Originally posted by far-trader:
Not quite, I was trying to present it as a concise revenue statement. A high passenger pays Cr10,000 (and so on) for a ticket. The passage provider (you) has to pay for life support to the tune of Cr2,000 (and so on) to cover the 2 weeks of the trip (generally a week in jump and a few days each side of that in port and travelling between the port and the jump point.
Don't forget that in addition to his own life support, a High Passenger also costs a fraction of a Steward and that Steward's life support...

Plus, every 121st passenger of any type costs an additional Medic and his life support... but I don't think you'll be rolling up that many passengers in the neighborhood under consideration...

And do you truly have to pay two weeks' life support for passengers who are really only aboard for the jumpspace half of the fortnight and not the in-port, looking-for-cargo-and-passengers half?

Not quite, I was trying to present it as a concise revenue statement. A high passenger pays Cr10,000 (and so on) for a ticket. The passage provider (you) has to pay for life support to the tune of Cr2,000 (and so on) to cover the 2 weeks of the trip (generally a week in jump and a few days each side of that in port and travelling between the port and the jump point.
Don't forget that in addition to his own life support, a High Passenger also costs a fraction of a Steward and that Steward's life support...

Plus, every 121st passenger of any type costs an additional Medic and his life support... but I don't think you'll be rolling up that many passengers in the neighborhood under consideration...

And do you truly have to pay two weeks' life support for passengers who are really only aboard for the jumpspace half of the fortnight and not the in-port, looking-for-cargo-and-passengers half?

It certainly shouldn't take you half a week to get to 100D from the surface of a planet (worst case) - even with the worst possible red tape.

Also, why do High-Pax get 1dTon of cargo space - above and beyond normal baggage allowance!? :eek: That ain't nowhere in LBB2 that I see. That's the equivalent of 35+ steamer trunks! Seems to me, if they want to cart that much crap around, they have to pay freight like everyone else! In my 35-pax ship (working deckplans now) I would allot 2dTons total for baggage (besides what you wanted to fit in your room) - enough for 2 steamer trunks per person.

It certainly shouldn't take you half a week to get to 100D from the surface of a planet (worst case) - even with the worst possible red tape.

Also, why do High-Pax get 1dTon of cargo space - above and beyond normal baggage allowance!? :eek: That ain't nowhere in LBB2 that I see. That's the equivalent of 35+ steamer trunks! Seems to me, if they want to cart that much crap around, they have to pay freight like everyone else! In my 35-pax ship (working deckplans now) I would allot 2dTons total for baggage (besides what you wanted to fit in your room) - enough for 2 steamer trunks per person.

And I forgot to inlcude the cargo rates. Cargo pays Cr1,000 per ton carried. And there is no cost to the shipper.
Yeah, that's there, but not the breakdown into major, minor, and incidental cargo.

I wonder if the speculative trade rules in the "Trade and Commerce" section (should be pg 42-44 of your Book 2 I think) are the same?

One roll on a D6 x D6 table with base prices, purchase and resale DMs based on the trade codes, and Brokers, Bribery, Admin, and an Actual Value table sound like what you have?
There's a table like with a Quantity column - varying numbers of d6 for tons available, except for goods 51 (Aircraft) to 56 (AFV), then its number of items.

The Actual Value table is 2d6 with DMs ranging from 40% to 400% (at adjusted roll 15).

Question on the UWP.
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">UPP-0820-C110588-8 Ni 601 SW - Anselhome</pre>[/QUOTE]You said the '6' of '601' is a population figure of some sort and the old - :D to me, CT - has the '5' from 'C110588' as pop. What's up with that?

by BillDowns
I would like to ask about adding some systems from Vilis subsector, since Thanber is so close to the border. Perhaps the SE quadrant? (assuming N is up).
Finally, my original thoughts were to range, say 10 parsecs, around an anchor system, regardless of subsector, which is why I asked that question.

And I forgot to inlcude the cargo rates. Cargo pays Cr1,000 per ton carried. And there is no cost to the shipper.
Yeah, that's there, but not the breakdown into major, minor, and incidental cargo.

I wonder if the speculative trade rules in the "Trade and Commerce" section (should be pg 42-44 of your Book 2 I think) are the same?

One roll on a D6 x D6 table with base prices, purchase and resale DMs based on the trade codes, and Brokers, Bribery, Admin, and an Actual Value table sound like what you have?
There's a table like with a Quantity column - varying numbers of d6 for tons available, except for goods 51 (Aircraft) to 56 (AFV), then its number of items.

The Actual Value table is 2d6 with DMs ranging from 40% to 400% (at adjusted roll 15).

Question on the UWP.
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">UPP-0820-C110588-8 Ni 601 SW - Anselhome</pre>[/QUOTE]You said the '6' of '601' is a population figure of some sort and the old - :D to me, CT - has the '5' from 'C110588' as pop. What's up with that?

by BillDowns
I would like to ask about adding some systems from Vilis subsector, since Thanber is so close to the border. Perhaps the SE quadrant? (assuming N is up).
Finally, my original thoughts were to range, say 10 parsecs, around an anchor system, regardless of subsector, which is why I asked that question.

Originally posted by Fritz88:
I always figured that the 1dt of "luggage" per High Pass is the in-stateroom carry-on allowance (steamer trunks and such) before those passengers need to buy cargo space for the rest of their kit...

Also, FWIW, a one-half-dton steamer trunk is probably about as big as they get; they need to fit through hatchways, after all...

I always figured that the 1dt of "luggage" per High Pass is the in-stateroom carry-on allowance (steamer trunks and such) before those passengers need to buy cargo space for the rest of their kit...

Also, FWIW, a one-half-dton steamer trunk is probably about as big as they get; they need to fit through hatchways, after all...

A 1/2dTon steamer trunk?! How many stevedores does that take to carry aboard? That's not a trunk, that's a really huge armoire. A half-dTon is 7m^3, and wouldn't fit through any hatchway/iris valve/sliding door (except the cargo hatch) on any ship I've ever seen.
(That "35+ steamer trunks" would be per person if you allot a dTon per pax.)

A 1/2dTon steamer trunk?! How many stevedores does that take to carry aboard? That's not a trunk, that's a really huge armoire. A half-dTon is 7m^3, and wouldn't fit through any hatchway/iris valve/sliding door (except the cargo hatch) on any ship I've ever seen.
(That "35+ steamer trunks" would be per person if you allot a dTon per pax.)

Originally posted by boomslang:
I've always been a bit mystified by that myself, but rationalized it as follows...

There is a flat full charge for the life support consumables per stateroom, which is good for 2 weeks single occupancy, or 1 week double occupancy, and so on. That is to say the life support module of each stateroom is designed and built with that limitation as a factor of design economy.

In double occupancy this leaves little room for error on the part of how long you are away from a port, and you would be well advised to carry extra recharges and the equipment to do it aboard. In single occupancy, as required for commercial ships, it allows some leeway and a safety margin.

More important to Phase 2 of this little adventure but related to this...

Further, your passengers and cargo don't all arrive on the last day, it trickles in over the week in port.

Generally I roll speculative cargo the day you arrive, and every week thereafter.

Then I roll the cargo and passengers that will present for your announced destination. For those I roll 1d6 for the day they will present counting from the day after you arrive. Some will be ready almost immediately, some might arrive later. Admin and Bribery can speed things along a little, and you can take off anytime you want, at the risk of leaving late arrivals and last minute freight. This means you may actually have passengers aboard for as much as a week while in port, putting a drain of the life support charge of course.

Originally posted by boomslang:
I've always been a bit mystified by that myself, but rationalized it as follows...

There is a flat full charge for the life support consumables per stateroom, which is good for 2 weeks single occupancy, or 1 week double occupancy, and so on. That is to say the life support module of each stateroom is designed and built with that limitation as a factor of design economy.

In double occupancy this leaves little room for error on the part of how long you are away from a port, and you would be well advised to carry extra recharges and the equipment to do it aboard. In single occupancy, as required for commercial ships, it allows some leeway and a safety margin.

More important to Phase 2 of this little adventure but related to this...

Further, your passengers and cargo don't all arrive on the last day, it trickles in over the week in port.

Generally I roll speculative cargo the day you arrive, and every week thereafter.

Then I roll the cargo and passengers that will present for your announced destination. For those I roll 1d6 for the day they will present counting from the day after you arrive. Some will be ready almost immediately, some might arrive later. Admin and Bribery can speed things along a little, and you can take off anytime you want, at the risk of leaving late arrivals and last minute freight. This means you may actually have passengers aboard for as much as a week while in port, putting a drain of the life support charge of course.

It's more than just that though. In MTU it runs like this and always takes about a week unless you push. There are passengers who haven't heard yet that you're going where they want, and others who are still packing and arranging their time. There's cargos that are in transit to the starport from the other side of the planet or sitting in quarantine, or still being produced for shipment. And... a hundred other devious little things I as ref could pull to make your stay as miserable and long as needed
file_23.gif
A week is nothing
file_22.gif

Also, why do High-Pax get 1dTon of cargo space - above and beyond normal baggage allowance!? :eek: That ain't nowhere in LBB2 that I see.
Becasue the book says so. But I was perhaps unclear. It is not above and beyond the baggage allowance, that is the baggage allowance, 1000kg, which is, by the book, 1ton.

That's the equivalent of 35+ steamer trunks! Seems to me, if they want to cart that much crap around, they have to pay freight like everyone else! In my 35-pax ship (working deckplans now) I would allot 2dTons total for baggage (besides what you wanted to fit in your room) - enough for 2 steamer trunks per person.
In MTU most passengers are moving, so they take more than just a steamer trunk, they pack up their whole life and try to fit it into that 1ton moving crate, or if they can only afford middle passage, then they get by with only taking 1/10th that, and low passage basically is just carry on.

Those who are simply travelling will sometimes use that 1ton to speculate or they may lease it back to the Captain at Cr900 for the trip, to defray some of their ticket cost.

It's more than just that though. In MTU it runs like this and always takes about a week unless you push. There are passengers who haven't heard yet that you're going where they want, and others who are still packing and arranging their time. There's cargos that are in transit to the starport from the other side of the planet or sitting in quarantine, or still being produced for shipment. And... a hundred other devious little things I as ref could pull to make your stay as miserable and long as needed
file_23.gif
A week is nothing
file_22.gif

Also, why do High-Pax get 1dTon of cargo space - above and beyond normal baggage allowance!? :eek: That ain't nowhere in LBB2 that I see.
Becasue the book says so. But I was perhaps unclear. It is not above and beyond the baggage allowance, that is the baggage allowance, 1000kg, which is, by the book, 1ton.

That's the equivalent of 35+ steamer trunks! Seems to me, if they want to cart that much crap around, they have to pay freight like everyone else! In my 35-pax ship (working deckplans now) I would allot 2dTons total for baggage (besides what you wanted to fit in your room) - enough for 2 steamer trunks per person.
In MTU most passengers are moving, so they take more than just a steamer trunk, they pack up their whole life and try to fit it into that 1ton moving crate, or if they can only afford middle passage, then they get by with only taking 1/10th that, and low passage basically is just carry on.

Those who are simply travelling will sometimes use that 1ton to speculate or they may lease it back to the Captain at Cr900 for the trip, to defray some of their ticket cost.

Back