• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Military Economies (A snapshot of Spinward Marches)

TL 12 Imperial Lift Infantry

Elite Lift Infantry
Economics: The platoon is paid Imperial wages. Total Cost is 6.4 MCr. The cost per trooper is 201,660 Cr. The line between Infantry and Cavalry has been blurred. At TL 12, an Imperial Platoon has 30 troops.
The cost of this elite unit has trebled from 2.1 MCr to 6.4 MCr.

Equipment: The 24 combat troops are armed with Gauss Rifles and Gauss Pistols and equipped with AV 3 Combat Armor (12) or AV 6 Battle Dress (12). Now 40% of the unit are equipped with Battle Dress and heavy support (e.g. man portable energy weapons, gauss guns, plasma guns) or tactical weapons (such as tac missiles). For the first time plasma weapons are man portable and effective at close range. However, HE shotgun and HEAP RAM GLs are now the premier close fire support.

Vehicles: Grav tank x1, Grav APC x1, and a Grav Sled x1. The crews of the vehicles are equipped with AV1 CES.

Organisation: They are Elite Lift Infantry. The breakdown is O2=1, O1=1, E6=1, E5=2, E4=4, E3=7, E2=7, E1=7, Experienced Leaders, Elite NCOs with 46% green recruits.
Elite Lift Infantry is organised as two sections of 12 combat troops lead by E5 sergeants, and three vehicles, including the following: grav tank x1, grav APC x1 and a grav sled x1.
The O2 commands the Grav Tank, The O1 pilots the Grav APC, E6 commands the Grav sled and leads the infantry.

Each Infantry section is organised as follows:
Section: E5 Section Leader, E1-E3 x3, E4 Team Leader, E1-E3 Trooperx3, E4 Team Leader, E1-E3 Trooper x3
Vehicles are organised as follows:
Grav Tank: O2 Platoon Commander, E3 Driver, E3 Gunner
Grav APC: O1 Flight Lieutenant, E3 Gunner
Grav sled: E6 Platoon NCO/Driver, E3 Gunner

Morale:
Officers = Veteran Check 5+, Rally 6+,
NCOs= Crack Check 4+, Rally 4+,
Troops = Trained Check 6+, Rally 8+

Discussion: This unit may be assigned a civilian observer/reporter and/or a Naval O3 Shore Liaison and/or a E5 Naval Medic.
Remember, the cost still needs to be tripled to give the “infrastructure” costs so the total cost to the Imperium is 19.24 MCr. This is the cost seen by the Government, Noble, Archduke, (whoever is paying for the unit).
Tactical Deployment as follows: War, Raid, Commando Raid, Police Action, Counter Insurgency, Training, Garrison, Counter Insurgency, Hearts & Minds, Shock and Awe, Demolitions, Support, Supply, Evacuation, Fire/Rescue, Salvage, Security.

Thanks for reading. Enjoy!

TL 12 Merc Infantry

“Company Name” Regular Infantry

Economics: At TL 12, a Merc Platoon has 28 troops. The merc platoon is paid merc wages and double standard shares. The total Cost is 3.95. The cost per trooper is 141 kCr.

Equipment: The 16 combat troops are armed with Gauss Rifles and Pistols and equipped with AV 6 Battle Dress (12). Another 4 combat support troops are equipped with ACRs or Laser Weapons, medical or demolitions kits and AV 3 Combat Armor. There are now 75% Combat Troops equipped with Battle Dress and usually each fire team would have heavy support (e.g. man portable energy weapons, gauss guns, plasma guns) or tactical weapons (such as tactical missiles). The crews of the 6 Grav Sleds are equipped with AV 3 Combat Armor.
Vehicles: Grav Sled x6. Top Speed = 200 kph, Cruising Speed = 150 kph, NOE = 80kph. Grav Sleds are equipped with VRF gauss, laser SSW, TAC missiles, or RAM GL.

Organisation: They are Heavy Grav Infantry or Mobile Armored Infantry. The breakdown is O2=1, O1=1, E6=1, E5=5, E4=5, E3=5, E2=5, E1=5, Experienced Leaders, veteran NCOs with 30% green recruits.

Regular Armored Infantry are organised as two squads and a command fire team.
The command fire team is organised as follows: O2 Platoon Commander, E5 driver, E4 Gunner, E1-2 Guard/commo tech.

First squad is organised as three fire teams: O1 x1, E5 x1, E4 x2, E1-3 x11
First Team: O1 Squad Leader/Driver, E5 Squad NCO/Gunner, E1-3 trooper x3
Second Team: E4 NCO/Driver, E3 Gunner, E1-3 trooper x3
Third Team: E4 NCO/Driver, E3 Gunner, E1-3 trooper x3

Second squad is organised as two fire teams: E6 x1, E5 x1, E4 x2, E1-3 x8
First Team: E6 Squad Leader, E3 Driver, E4 Gunner, E1-3 trooper x3
Second Team: E5 NCO, E4 Driver, E3 Gunner, E1-3 trooper x 3

Morale:
Officers: Veteran Check 5+ Rally 6+
NCOs: Crack 4+ 4+
Troops: Trained 6+ 8+

Discussion: The “infrastructure” costs, total cost to the employer is 11.85 MCr per year. This is the cost seen by the Government, Noble, Archduke, (whoever is paying for the unit).

Tactical Deployment as follows: Regular Infantry are usually deployed in TL 8-11 environments with platoon to company strength opposition. Missions include: Striker, Commando Raid, Cadre, Training, Security, Counter Insurgency, Demolitions, Fire Support, Supply, Evacuation, Salvage, Security.

TL 12 Merc Cavalry

Merc Grav Cavalry
Economic: At TL 12 a Merc Cavalry Section is paid merc wages and double standard shares. The total cost is 6.62 MCr. The cavalry section has 28 troops. The cost per trooper is 236,480 Cr.

Equipment: The 16 combat troops are armed with Gauss Rifles and Pistols and equipped with AV 6 Battle Dress (14). Vehicle crews and 2 combat support troops are equipped with ACRs or Laser Weapons, medical or demolitions kits and AV 3 Combat Armor. There are now 90% Combat Troops equipped with Battle Dress and usually each fire team would have heavy support (e.g. man portable energy weapons, gauss SAW, plasma guns) or tactical weapons (such as tactical missiles or RAM GLs). The crews of the Grav Tank, Grav APC, and Grav Sleds are equipped with AV 3 Combat Armor.

Vehicles:
Grav Tank x1,
Grav APC x1,
Grav Sled x4.

Organisation: They are organised as one section and six vehicles. They are Regular Grav Cavalry. The breakdown is O2=1, O1=1, E6=1, E5=5, E4=5, E3=5, E2=5, E1=5, Veteran Leaders, veteran NCOs with 30% green recruits.

Organisation:
Grav Tank: O2 Platoon Commander, E5 Driver, E4 Gunner
Grav APC: O1 Squad Leader, E5 Driver, E4 Gunner, E6 Section NCO, E1-3 team leader x 2, E1-3 trooper x3

Grav Sled Oner(Gauss): E5 Driver, E4 Gunner, E4 Squad NCO, E1-3 commo tech
Grav Sled Two(MRL): E5 Driver, E4 Gunner, E1-3 trooper x2
Grav Sled Three(Tac Missile): E5 Driver, E3 Gunner, E1-3 trooper x2
Grav Sled Four(Medic): E3 Driver, E3 Gunner, E1-3 medic x2

Discussion: Remember, this still needs to be tripled to give the “infrastructure” costs so the total cost to the employer is 19.86 MCr. This is the cost seen by the Government, Noble, Archduke, (whoever is paying for the unit).

Tactical Deployment as follows: Regular Cavalry are usually deployed in TL 8-12 environments with platoon to company strength opposition. Missions include: Striker, Commando Raid, Cadre, Training, Security, Counter Insurgency, Demolitions, Fire Support, Supply, Evacuation, Salvage, Security.

TL 13 Imperial Commando Detachment

Imperial Commando Detachment
Economics: At TL 13, an Imperial Commando Detachment has 13 troops. The squad is paid Imperial wages. Total Cost is 4.07 MCr. The cost per trooper is 312,740 Cr.
Equipment: The 13 commandos are armed with Gauss Rifles and Gauss Pistols and equipped with AV 6 Battle Dress (13).
Now 100% of the unit are equipped with Battle Dress and 3-4 troops carry heavy support (e.g. man portable energy weapons, gauss SAW, plasma guns) or tactical weapons (such as tac missiles). However, PGMPs are now the premier close fire support.
Occasionally, this unit may be assigned a civilian observer/reporter, and/or a Naval O3 Shore Liaison, and/or an E5 Naval Medic, however this is not normal doctrine.

Vehicles: The team is assigned no vehicles, normally the unit uses grav belts integral to battle dress.

Organisation: The detachment are Elite Commandos.
The breakdown is O3 =1, O2=1, O1=2, E7 =1, E6=2, E5=2, E4=4
Elite Leaders, Elite NCOs organised as two fire teams and a command team.

The command team is organised as follows:
O3 CO x1, O2 OX x1, E7 Leading Sergeant x1,

Each Commando team is organised as follows:
Team: O1 Team Leader, E6 Staff Sergeant x1, E5 x1, E4 x2,

Note: There are no enlisted personnel in this elite unit.

Morale:
Officers = Elite Check 3+, Rally 3+,
NCOs= Elite Check 3+, Rally 3+,

Discussion: This cost needs to be tripled to give the “infrastructure” costs so the total cost to the Imperium is 12.21 MCr per year. This is the cost seen by the Government, Noble, Archduke, (whoever is paying for the unit).

Tactical Deployment as follows: War, Raid, Commando Raid, Police Action, Counter Insurgency, Training, Counter Insurgency, Hearts & Minds, Shock and Awe, Demolitions, Evacuation, Fire/Rescue, Salvage, Security.

Imperial Armored SF Unit

Imperial Armored SF Unit
Economics: At TL 13, an Imperial Special Forces Platoon has 48 troops. The platoon is paid Imperial wages. Total Cost is 12.18 MCr. The cost per trooper is 312,740 Cr.

Equipment: Gauss Rifles, RAM GLs, Gauss Pistols, Laser ACRs, point defence lasers. The unit is armored with 30% Battle Dress (14) and Combat Armor (34). Each combat team has 1-2 troopers equipped with heavy fire support such as PGMPs or Tac Missiles.

Vehicle Organisation:
Top Speed = 300 kph, Cruising Speed = 200 kph, NOE = 80 kph

Grav Tank x2,
Grav APC x 4,
Grav sled x 2,
Supply Sled x1

Unit Organisation:
O3 x1, O2 x1, O1 x6, E7x1, E6 x5, E5 x8, E4 x 8, E3 x 8, E2 x 5, E1 x 5
The unit has two combat teams and one evacuation team.

Command Element:
Command Grav Tank (VRF Gauss):
O3 Platoon Commander, O2 XO, E7 Platoon NCO, E4 Driver, E4 Gunner

Vehicle Dispositions:
Grav Tank (12 MJ Fusion):
O1 Vehicle Commander, E5 Pilot, E4 Gunner

Grav APC (3 MJ Fusion): E6 Driver, E5 Gunner,
Team One: O1 Commando Leader, E5 Squad NCO, E1-E4 trooper x6

Grav APC (3 MJ Fusion): E6 Driver, E5 Gunner,
Team Two: O1 Commando Leader, E5 Squad NCO, E1-E4 trooper x6

Grav AFV (Meson): E6 Driver, E5 Gunner, E5 Technician

Grav AFV (Meson Screen): E6 Driver, E5 Gunner, E5 Technician

Grav Sled (VRF Gauss): E5 Driver, E4 Gunner,
Evac Team: O1 Commando Leader, O1 Commando, E5 NCO, E1-E4 trooper x 2

Grav sled (Medic): E5 Driver, E4 Gunner, E5 Medic, E1-E4 medic x 2

Supply sled: E6 Supply Sergeant, E4 Driver, E4 Gunner

Morale:
Officers = Crack Check 4+, Rally 4+,
NCOs= Crack Check 4+, Rally 4+,
Enlisted= Experienced 6+, 8+

Discussion: This cost needs to be tripled to give the “infrastructure” costs so the total cost to the Imperium is 36.55 MCr per year. This is the cost seen by the Government, Noble, Archduke, (whoever is paying for the unit).

The Evacuation Team could be replaced with a Demolitions Team or Cadre Team or other support element depending on specific mission requirements.

Tactical Deployment as follows: Attached to an Imperial battalion HQ, Extraction, War, Raid, Commando Raid, Police Action, Counter Insurgency, Training, Support to Counter Insurgency, Hearts & Minds, Shock and Awe, Demolitions, Evacuation, Fire/Rescue, Salvage, Security.

Quote: “The most dangerous thing on the ‘TL-13’ battle field is the commo link to the Meson Sled” First Lieutenant Hunter Dawes, XO SF Platoon, 1214th Battalion, 1102 Efate.

Hi guys,
If one Imperial Trooper costs Imperial Cr 150,000 to train, equip and deploy per year (Assumption)
Cheers!

Hi,

where did you get 150,000 from? Striker has long service pro's costing 30,000 Cr per year, if you add on the maintenance of Combat Armour and Gauss Rifles that an additional 20,150 Cr, for just over 50,000 Cr per year?

Kind Regards

David

Thanks for this question

where did you get 150,000 from? Striker has long service pro's costing 30,000 Cr per year, if you add on the maintenance of Combat Armour and Gauss Rifles that an additional 20,150 Cr, for just over 50,000 Cr per year?

Hi David,
Thanks very much for this question!

I was using T4 pocket empires which states that a unit costs a certain amount to create but three times that amount per year to maintain.

I think that you are right that to raise a platoon of long service professionals costs around 30-50,000 Cr per trooper. Though I am not sure where you got the 20 kCr for maintenance as I don’t have Striker.

At the lower end of this range this would be a rifle platoon only with very limited or no vehicles or heavy fire support.

The 150,000 Cr was a guesstimate of the overall costs for an Imperial rifle platoon per soldier. I’m guessing that you didn’t read (or understand) the subsequent posts in the thread. Perhaps I didn’t explain very well. Please allow me to explain better.

Please see next post.

Summary of military units

The 150,000 Cr (assumption) was a guesstimate of the overall maintenance costs for an Imperial rifle platoon per soldier.

Table of military units for the discerning noble or government

Unit TypeSizeUCC (MCr)TCC (kCr/trooper)UMC (MCr)TMC (kCr/trooper)
TL 9 Light Infantry422.1450.46.42151.2
TL 9 Mobile Light Infantry422.8467.68.52202.9
TL 9 Mobile Light Infantry (reserves)425.1373.415.39366.4
TL 9 Merc Regulars422.0448.56.12145.7
TL 10 Merc Elites424.4104.713.2314.3
TL 10 Light Infantry382.565.87.5197.3
TL 11 Mobile Regulars242.1488.86.42267.5
TL 11 Merc Mobile Infantry282.6996.18.07288.2
TL 12 Elite Lift Infantry306.4213.319.2640.0
TL 12 Merc Regulars283.95141.011.85423.0
TL 12 Merc Cavalry286.62236.519.86709.3
TL 13 Commandos134.07312.712.21939.2
TL 13 Armored SF4812.18253.7536.55761.3
Size – number of active combat troops in unit, UCC – Unit Creation Cost, TCC – Trooper Creation Cost, UMC – Unit Maintenance Cost, TMC – Trooper Maintenance Cost

These infrastructure maintenance costs would include such things as: accommodation, food, supplies, munitions, equipment, support and admin personnel, recruiting, training, replacement of losses or damage, annual maintenance, research and development, retirement pensions, insurance, and perhaps other factors.
What I was trying to show was that for a unit to have all of these factors is much more expensive than the initial cost of unit creation.

Now, perhaps a meta-task by the unit commander or the unit owner could modify the UMC something as follows:

The value in the following table is multiplied by the Unit Maintenance Cost UMC

Metatask Table
Roll 2d6UMC modifier
<00.20
14+2.00
DMs: -1 if Leader 4+, -1 if Admin4+, -1 if Recruiting 3+, -1 if no combat this year, +1 if combat this year, +1 if Squad lost, +1 if Section lost, +2 if platoon lost, ±GM modifier.

Please read the rest of the thread bearing these factors in mind.
Indeed, I’m sure that some of you “fellow gearheads” reading this will understand that these amounts shown in this thread are still very coarse and could be refined further. Finally, if you find any errata in this thread, the summary values have been corrected, Thanks.

Thanks for reading, Enjoy!

The 150,000 Cr (assumption) was a guesstimate of the overall maintenance costs for an Imperial rifle platoon per soldier.

Table of military units for the discerning noble or government
What I was trying to show was that for a unit to have all of these factors is

Thanks for this, I have T4 courtesy of the T5 kickstarter, but haven't looked at it yet.

I can see why mercenaries are so popular in the Imperium now.

Kind Regards

David

Thanks for this, I have T4 courtesy of the T5 kickstarter, but haven't looked at it yet.
You are very welcome, David.
Woohoo! I hope you enjoy T4! It is a really great read, particularly Pocket Empires and Imperial Squadrons, and I love the artwork.

I can see why mercenaries are so popular in the Imperium now.
Please also bear in mind that this is the InMyTravUniverse forum, not canon.

"If one Imperial Trooper costs Imperial Cr 150,000 to train, equip and deploy per year"

I don't know if i agree with that figure.

"If one Imperial Trooper costs Imperial Cr 150,000 to train, equip and deploy per year"

Currently, one US Army infantryman costs about $100,000 per year to train, equip, house, feed, pay, and deploy per year. Personally, I would view that figure as low, rather than high.

The typical figure for a peacetime, non-militaristic, society to spend on military spending is somewhere between 1 and 2 per cent of the Gross National Product. If facing a known potential threat, that goes up to about 5 per cent. If the threat is would could be called "Warm". then 10 per cent. Anything over 25 per cent begins to cause major distortions in the civilian economy, and going over 50 per cent the economy begins to break, without sufficient resources being put into maintenance of basic infrastructure to sustain the effort. Once broken, it can take decades to recover.

Last edited:

NBC cites about $45,000 for a new US Marine - but that's just basic...
... and isn't counting a lot of secondary costs (building maintenance, etc...)

Given that the Cr is pretty much the 1977 US $, that's about Cr11,000. Just for basic.

The USMC quotes a cost of about $40,000 for IET.

A lot of that cost is how much you pay your troops. The US military pays singularly well for their soldiers. Many nations pay far less. Then there's conscription. If that's being used, the troops may receive very little pay in many cases.

Throw in the cost of quarters, food, etc. Depending on how this is handled the cost could be low to exorbitant. What if the Imperial Army et. al., generally had troops occupying some world build their own quarters out of local materials appropriated for that purpose? That's very common throughout history. Garrison troops might even be required to raise some portion of their food supply in some cases.

So, the cost per soldier could vary considerably.

A lot of that cost is how much you pay your troops. The US military pays singularly well for their soldiers. Many nations pay far less. Then there's conscription. If that's being used, the troops may receive very little pay in many cases.

Throw in the cost of quarters, food, etc. Depending on how this is handled the cost could be low to exorbitant. What if the Imperial Army et. al., generally had troops occupying some world build their own quarters out of local materials appropriated for that purpose? That's very common throughout history. Garrison troops might even be required to raise some portion of their food supply in some cases.

So, the cost per soldier could vary considerably.

Pay is under half the cost listed by the USMC; and about half the cost figured by NBC.

Way way back when I posted something along these lines...
http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=20618

The then-current budget for the usn/usmarines indicated that the military allocated money for each person approximately equal to double the then-current per capita income for the US.
I suggested than allocating more money should lead to better troop quality ( in terms of Striker ) and allocating less led to lower quality, such as conscripts.

The cost may remain the same, but may be ameliorated, especially if you can get someone else to pay for it.

I think salary has to keep pace with training costs, since you increasingly need talented people capable of acting decisively on the battlefield with all the modern tools of the trade.

Of course, if you can get motivated cannon fodder into a close quarters fight with a warfighter, there could be quite a discrepancy between annual maintenance costs.

US Dollar to Credit comparisons 1977 vs. 2016

Saturday, 5 November 2016

The deflator index for 1977 is 35.135 and for 2016 it is 111.188 (source: US Dollar Implicit Price Deflators for Gross Domestic Product 1929-2016, 2009=100, BEA). It follows that, with numbers rounded to two decimals:

1.00 US Dollars of 1977 are worth 3.16 US Dollars of 2016. of a present day US dollar is $0.32 in 1977

Way way back when I posted something along these lines...
http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=20618

The then-current budget for the usn/usmarines indicated that the military allocated money for each person approximately equal to double the then-current per capita income for the US.
I suggested than allocating more money should lead to better troop quality ( in terms of Striker ) and allocating less led to lower quality, such as conscripts.

This kind of depends on several related things.

If the source of the troops is from a "developing" world or one with excess population then conscription and the military may be seen as a means out of poverty and lack of opportunity. The military might be able to pick and choose its recruits, even at low cost and pay.
On the other hand, a "rich" world might find it hard to raise troops without exorbitant costs as the population has it pretty good.

Then it depends on what else the military / government might offer. If they offer payment-in-kind that might entice better quality of troops too. That is, they promise for x years of service the person gets, free education, free land, or a good pension even if their service pay was low, these would be inducements to sign up.

I would think in the Imperium, there would be worlds / systems that were more inclined to be military ones than others. That the Imperium could draw troops from those systems best suited to low costs and higher quality rather than use some egalitarian "fair and equal" method of acquiring them.

Back