• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Mind Flayer

I am sorry I do not worship at the polyhedronist altar.
CT/PT is my system of choice.

The DnD stat block on pg. 136 of the Monster Manual seems fairly straight forward. The only major change I can see is that magic might not work.

Revised M.F. for Classic Traveller based on the 3e stats.
Str:8
Dex:9
End:8
Int:12
Edu:10
Soc:7
Wounds: 27 or as a player character
Armor: as Jack
Attack: 2D (Sharp Claws)
Special Attack: Brain suck. If the Illithid successfully attaches itself to an unprotected- humanoid head for two rounds the Mind Flayer extracts the victim’s brain.
Skills: Hunting-1, Surival-1, Unarmed Cbt-1, Blade Cbt-1, Plus any two other related skills depending on the creature’s function.

Psionic Strength Rating: 12
Talent: Telepathy
Read Surface Thoughts
Send Thoughts
Probe
Assault
Shield

Talent: Clairvoyance
Sense
Direction
Clairvoyance

Talent: Special
Free telepathic contact with other Mind Flayers or the Hive Brain at “medium” range

Special notes:
1) Mind Flayers are sensitive to ultraviolet light and will avoid it when ever possible. They suffer the effects of sunburn twice as fast as an average human under similar circumstances.
2) Their eyesight is based on the ability to see heat in the infrared spectrum. Stealth technology that masks heat makes objects very difficult for a Mind Flayers to see.
3) Most Illithid are agoraphobic to some extent. Open spaces do not terrify them it makes them very uncomfortable. When they are fighting in an open area they should work at a disadvantage of -1 to -3 depending on the referee’s judgment.
4) The Illithid are expert miners and tunnel builders, as a result most Illithid settlements are constructed underground with only a few necessary structures above ground to serve as access points.
5) The Illithid detest robots and the concept of artificial intelligence. They prefer to bio-engineer living organisms as their servants.

I think it would be an intresting idea to have them, however I can see some things that would obliterate any group of adventures.

The first being that if the party is not psionic, the Mindflayer could come in low and stealthy, making use of its psi powers to "Cloud men's minds" so to speak, and litterally wipe them out.

Another is that it can paralize people and eat them real nicely and easily with its burst thingy.

And Finnally, it could just tell people to come over and have their brains sucked out and chewed on.

For instance:

*Chop Chop*

"Oh no! The beast ate George's Brain! And I want to give it mine next!"

*Chop Chop*

That is the point, there are damn scary and really hard to kill. According to the CT psi rules many of these talents re not in the “always on” category so it is possible to spurise one of them. That is what happened, one of the players turned a corner and saw it. Equating tentacles with evil mind eating aliens he unloaded a 12 gauge shotgun at close range and killed it with a shot to the head. They then turned on their heals and ran like stereotypical twelve year old girls back to their ship. Terror is a wonderful motivator
file_23.gif

This thread is intriguing, and I'm considering hijacking a few ideas from it. Regarding the Cthulhu side, I was wondering which book I should try to get. I want a book with flavor and story information, not stats or anything. Is there a particular Cthulhu book (preferably NOT the d20 version, but something I can pick up cheap on eBay) that you'd recommend? What about other books? I'm not real familiar, having never played it, but I know enough to think it could add a fun twist to my Traveller game. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Chad

If you dare!
In Call of Cthulhu no player ever wins in the long run. Eventually you go crazy or get eaten. Horror movie tropes and non seeing the monster can be terrifying.

Gently pulsing lights with a thump, thump, thump in the background.

Creaking pressure doors that feel warmer cold to the touch.

Disturbing visions written on index card to give to each of the players detailing how the others are the ones going crazy.

Blood in your shoes!

A toothbrush that turns up in the engine room, vacc suit and any number of other places.

A creeping insanity that makes you see the wrong button on the control panel.

Sudden fits of dyslexia.

An inexplicable pain behind you eye that will not go away.

The layout of the ship seems backwards.

Tentacles out from the ice or under the deck.

Missing time

Anal probing

Crewmembers experiencing fits of crying.

Odd patrons that are will to pay enormous sums for drilling core samples on unremarkable comets.

The discovery of a ball of ice orbiting a weird pulsar/black hole/ brown dwarf.

Ways to ensure Cthulhu eats you last ;) .

http://www.locksley.com/cthulhu/mainpage.htm

Have you heard of the book "The Night Land"? It is very poorly written in parts and rambling but some chapters shine and evoke a dark terror of a world overun by the forces of Cthulhu. It is set in the far-far-far future, after the sun has burnt out. Humanity lives in a last redoubt, a giant pyramid, surrounded on all sides by creatures of nightmare from the outer void.

Here's the book in html:
http://eserver.org/fiction/nightland/contents.html

You might want to check out this site first
http://www.thenightland.co.uk/nightmap.html

as the book can be a very tedious read this may help guide you to the good parts. If looking for the better written stuff, search for "The Thing That Nods."

Here are some more recently written tales set in The Night Land.

http://www.thenightland.co.uk/nightfic.html#content

"Awake in the Night" has been professionally published and is quite good.

Originally posted by Kurega Gikur:
- Gently pulsing lights with a thump, thump, thump in the background.
- Creaking pressure doors that feel warmer cold to the touch.
- Disturbing visions written on index card to give to each of the players detailing how the others are the ones going crazy.
- Blood in your shoes!
- A toothbrush that turns up in the engine room, vacc suit and any number of other places.
- A creeping insanity that makes you see the wrong button on the control panel.
- Sudden fits of dyslexia.
- An inexplicable pain behind you eye that will not go away.
- The layout of the ship seems backwards.
- Tentacles out from the ice or under the deck.
- Missing time
- Anal probing
- Crewmembers experiencing fits of crying.
- Odd patrons that are will to pay enormous sums for drilling core samples on unremarkable comets.
- The discovery of a ball of ice orbiting a weird pulsar/black hole/ brown dwarf.
Man, you've been listening in on my games and taking notes! ;)

All kidding aside, I think this genre of gaming is really the most fun, particularly when a cold wind is blowing and the lights are low!

Originally posted by jasper:
OGL = Open game license. the official okay from wotc (owner the d20 license) to allow you to make d&D knock off rules and stuff.
SRD = system reference documents. the online verision of the d&d books which contain most of rules (except how to roll up a character and xp level chart), magic items, items and monsters.
Some monster like drow and mind flayers are not in srd so while you can use them in you personal campaign you can use in module/adventure you publish.
Interesting, I don't recall any license agreement in the 1977 Monster Manual. ;)

Anyway they might not be mind-flayers, they sound more like skinny, intelligent Thrint with a strange idea of haute cuisine. World of Ptavvs has a 1965 copyright.

Originally posted by Ptah:
Interesting, I don't recall any license agreement in the 1977 Monster Manual. ;)

Ah well then, you can't use them at all from that work due to copyright and (probably) trademark issues. If you make something using the OGL then you must stick to ALL of that license. You could of course release something that was an add-on for your previous game and not reference the OGL in that section (as long as it had NO stats). This is something like what the T20 Players Guidebook will be, a non-d20 (but still OGL) version of the T20 rules, without the d20 license restrictions.

Originally posted by Falkayn:
Ah well then, you can't use them at all from that work due to copyright and (probably) trademark issues. If you make something using the OGL then you must stick to ALL of that license. You could of course release something that was an add-on for your previous game and not reference the OGL in that section (as long as it had NO stats). This is something like what the T20 Players Guidebook will be, a non-d20 (but still OGL) version of the T20 rules, without the d20 license restrictions.
Copyrights are certainly an issue especially if you copy. The term "Mind-Flayer" alone I would find hard to copyright. It may be ameable to trademark although it is made up of two common words, simple enough to check out for the US, at least at first blush. The stat-block idea is interesting. Is a stat-block creative expression? Are the stats chosen in combination with their arrangement creative? This is of course if you are going to copy the stat block used in the MM for example. If you use your own stat ideas and arrangment....well.
Now there may be stronger arguments to be made under Product Identity concepts and various torts.

Just change the name and slightly modify the concept. They probably can't copyright the appearance, by the way, as I don't recall the creators of Babylon 5 paying them for the Pk'mara (sp?) who look like Mind Flayers but do not eat brains (they eat carrion instead. VERY STINKING carrion).

"They" can copyright anything they want to for as long as it takes. At least here in the US.

BTW if it reads . . .
"reproduction in any form" does that mean if you memorize it then you are violating their copyright?
:rolleyes:

"They" can copyright anything they want to for as long as it takes. At least here in the US.

BTW if it reads . . .
"reproduction in any form" does that mean if you memorize it then you are violating their copyright?
:rolleyes:
Long live Mickey Mouse!!!

That last one is pretty easy, memorization is not copyright infringement. No don't come crying to me if the Firemen show up at your door and cart you away. ;)

Not exactly; Nike, for example, were unable to copyright the word "Nike" as it is a name of a Greek Goddess which is public domain.

But lets get back to the topic: How could we use something similar to a Mind Flayer without WotC setting up us the Lawyers.

Listen we are not talking about mid flayers here. ;)
I am talking about the squid men from Planet 10.
They reproduce using cocoons made from people they capture and have a PSR of 10-12. They coordinate using their mind powers and just like the Hivers they do not speak. They are the unintentional by-product of genetic research carried out late during the Rule of Man.
As long a Mr. Miller does not mind here are the Squid Men!

Str:8
Dex:9
End:8
Int:12
Edu:10
Soc:7
Wounds: 27 or as a player character
Armor: as Jack
Attack: 2D (Sharp Claws)
The Squid Men reproduce by capturing humans and turning them into a cocoon/vessel for the new Squid Man. The New S.M. emerges from its host in 2D days after the transformation begins.
Squid Men enjoy eating the neurological matter of other races.

Skills: Hunting-1, Surival-1, Unarmed Cbt-1, Blade Cbt-1, Plus any two other related skills depending on the creature’s function.
Psionic Strength Rating: 12
Talent: Telepathy
Read Surface Thoughts
Send Thoughts
Probe
Assault
Shield
Talent: Clairvoyance
Sense
Direction
Clairvoyance
Talent: Special
Free telepathic contact with other Squid Men at “medium” range
Special notes:
1) Squid Men are sensitive to ultraviolet light and will avoid it when ever possible. They suffer the effects of sunburn twice as fast as an average human under similar circumstances.
2) Their eyesight is based on the ability to see heat in the infrared spectrum. Stealth technology that masks heat makes objects very difficult for a Squid Men to see.
3) Most Squid Men are agoraphobic to some extent. Open spaces do not terrify them it makes them very uncomfortable. When they are fighting in an open area they should work at a disadvantage of -1 to -3 depending on the referee’s judgment.
4) The Squid Men are expert miners and tunnel builders, as a result most Squid Men settlements are constructed underground with only a few necessary structures above ground to serve as access points.
5) The Squid Men detest robots and the concept of artificial intelligence. They prefer to bio-engineer living organisms as their servants.

Kurega Gikur, as you've just shown your talent from CT creature design, would you like to help me on designing my Aboleth's stats?

Thanks,
Omer Golan AKA Employee #2-4601

Back