• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Perfect PC Sidearm

Perfect PC Sidearm

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Generally speaking, a slug thrower onboard a starship wouldn't have any restrictions, beyond those by the interstellar polity it's travelling through, and it's registered home port, though I don't recall if it's a requirement for starships to be homeported in the Imperium, though it is for the Solomani Confederation.

I'm inclined to go with the M4 Survival rifle, though I'm sure there are more luxurious variants.

That doesn't mean that some people wouldn't prefer a dual weapon system, but it seems to run into issues about concealability, at least as described by Ye Marbled Game Getter.

At it's basic level, you want some thing that is reliable and effective, and that you can grab in a hurry, but also won't get you into trouble during an inspection.

I always thought that having exploding bullets would be an issue in most jurisdictions, if you disembarked with a snub pistol.

Lieutenant-Colonel John Malcolm Thorpe Fleming "Jack" Churchill, DSO & Bar, MC & Bar (16 September 1906 – 8 March 1996) was a British Army officer who fought throughout the Second World War armed with a longbow, bagpipes, and a basket-hilted Scottish broadsword.

Nicknamed "Fighting Jack Churchill" and "Mad Jack", he is known for the motto: "Any officer who goes into action without his sword is improperly dressed." It is claimed that Churchill also carried out the last recorded longbow and arrow killing in action, shooting a German NCO in 1940 in a French village during the Battle of France.[1]

Last I checked, the LPM still had practical instructions on cutlass.

Also, I've used a rapier in home defense within the last 3 years.

Apparently the sword is fairly popular for home defense. And cutlasses and broadswords are pretty nasty.

But as a trained or semi-trained combatant in a boarding action or attempting to thwart a takeover ... well, I guess it depends on the circumstances.

Guns are the delivery system, and don't need to be high tech; ammunition can be.

At the basic level, a foldable stock bolt action hunting rifle for survival situations.

I would expect that high-tech worlds (e.g. TL 10+) would still use TL 10+ manufacturing techniques to manufacture their guns. So likely they'd use TL 10+ gun designs, which would likely be more reliable than TL 5-7 designs.

E.g. using caseless propellant, smaller bullet and propellant size for the same striking power since the propellant is more advanced and more powerful, higher capacity from this bullet size and/or electronic propellant.

I don't doubt that, but a lot of survival packs in spaceships would likely be purchased from the lowest bidder, and the hunting rifle is more of a just in case addition.

Though the Vargr don't really have a Scout Service, my character, Senior Scout Gevaudan Cannagrrh decided long ago that in coming into the Imperium from Gvurrdon Sector of the Vargr Extents, his firearm of choice was the Shotgun. He chose the stockless, slightly shorter barrel, with a wider variety of ammunition types from simple shot, buckshot, bolt slugs, up to High Energy Armor Piercing (HEAP) rounds. With a shorter overall weapon, Gev could draw it from a bandolier or long holster from his digitigrade stance.

To the Scout from Dzeng Aeng Kho, the Society of Equals, everywhere but home was dangerous territory. At the bottom of the ramp of any vessel, Gev could be found in his HEV, "suit and tie" with his Shotgun.

Now, when the Fifth Frontier War broke out and he was more than once arrested by local authorities of the Spinward Marches, (merely for being an ethnic Vargr during a War), Gev realized he needed slightly more variability in ammunition. He mounted a RAM Grenade Launcher under the Shotgun for added area effect options, such as Stun Grenades, and the like to allow for different reactions to threats.

But let us not forget that weapons can be disarmed, dropped, jam or malfunction or run out of ammunition. Gev's final backup weapon was Infighting though he was no master of the martial arts of the Vargr making use of natural weaponry.

In late 1109, Gevaudan was forced to enter an Infighting duel with another, higher-Charisma Vargr. Gev almost died as neither could nor would cry Uncle.

So, add Infighting to the list or Dewclaw for that matter and consider that the classic fisticuffs can't be taken from your character.

From the cold water pit of OENLAETSVAEG (Ghoekhnael 1938), this is the Pakkrat taking a water cannon shower.

One other reason for a tech level five firearm, is that it's probably more robust, and easier to fix.

I considered the Brown Bess or a squirrel gun muzzle loader, but level of unsophistication may be unnecessary.

One other reason for a tech level five firearm, is that it's probably more robust, and easier to fix.

I considered the Brown Bess or a squirrel gun muzzle loader, but level of unsophistication may be unnecessary.

I am not sure about the Brown Bess, but I could go with the squirrel gun. When it comes to survival equipment, simple is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back