• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Perfect PC Sidearm

Perfect PC Sidearm

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
sidearm

I'm surprised at the large amount of players using high velocity slug weapons on board ship.

Are the loads of kind GM's out there? (if so where are you?)

Regards

David

I voted for Gauss Pistol, but at lower Tech levels I'd consider this:
http://securityarms.com/20010315/galleryfiles/1600/1643.htm

I remember reading when it came out that it's cyclic rate has been tweaked; with each round the recoil will (with a right-handed firer) make the barrel follow a circular path- and the next round fires as the barrel returns to the original point. Theoretically that could allow accurate(ish) fire, full auto, with one hand. In practice, I have no idea whether it works; the last full auto I fired was tripod mounted, firing tracer at a target 3500 metres away, and that was nearly 20 years ago...

That thing almost looks just like how the auto-snub pistol is described as looking and in drawings. Except the stock, and that's a bit of nifty design there. :D

I'm surprised at the large amount of players using high velocity slug weapons on board ship.

Are the loads of kind GM's out there? (if so where are you?)

Regards

David

I have no objections. My players are welcome to use any weapons they like aboard a ship. :devil:

I'm puzzled that anyone would see any danger (except to the interior fittings) with firing high velocity slugs inside a spaceship hull. The thing's made of ultra-tech metal, so I certainly would expect it to be able to shrug off puny high-velocity slugs (watch out for ricochets!). I mean, it's not like it was a 20th Century aircraft.

PGMP-15s now, that might be troublesome... :D

Hans

Last edited:
I was thinking of damage to the computer and life support systems rather than the hull, after all if hv weapons weren't going to cause problems no one would have bothered inventing low velocity weapons...

Regards

David

Bullets can be designed to damage flesh.

Most pistols fire subsonic rounds so their would be slight damage to sensitive equipment.

Besides, most players will grab whatever is handy at the start of combat.

Makes for interesting aftermath scenarios....

Isn't this a description of a snub pistol? With a slight difference in calibre to ensure the rounds are not put into the wrong gun?

No, not exactly. A standard auto set up for low pressure rounds would be cheaper than a snub, being made from TL5 or 6 metal rather than higher-tech polymer. But it would be heavier.

Actually, that would be a fairly pointless complication of the game. I'll scrap that.

The following summarizes MTU.

Standard revolvers and "body pistol" revolvers are able to use HE, HEAP, tranq and taser rounds just as snub pistols can. I think this makes them the most versatile handguns in CT, as they can also use cheap, low tech, commonly available ammo.

Standard autopistols just use standard rounds with standard slugs. The same is true for "body pistol" autopistols.

Snubs use he, heap, tranq and taser rounds only, with a shorter range than standard handguns or body pistols . Both revolvers and semiautos are available, as in canon. Revolvers are cheaper as in canon, and I believe they are lighter, at least when loaded. Autos obviously hold more shots.

HE and HEAP rounds do no more damage than standard rounds. They just allow for low pressure, low recoil rounds that are easier to control in zero gravity.

Last edited:
Well, my view is that those different types of gun are available for a reason - otherwise, why not just have a standard 'pistol' available in auto or revolver format?

For me, the slightly larger diameter and greater length (thanks to reduced propellant needs) of the snub pistol payload is what makes the weird and wonderful loads possible. IMTU, you only get plain bullets below 10mm.

Body Pistol rounds are a little different, since there wouldn't be much point having an undetectable gun full of detectable bullets, so the BP bullets are made of ceramics and polymers, just like the gun itself, and since the head is lighter, it needs more propellant to provide a decent muzzle energy, so BP rounds tend to be longer than lead ones of the same calibre.

This forces the players to make decisions. There is no perfect PC sidearm IMTU, you have a limited number of hands and a limited number of holsters, so you have to make choices about what you want to carry, based on what situations you think you'll meet.

My favourites? For a general 'guns for hire' mission, probably a mini-uzi style 10mm snub machine pistol with adjustable ROF and a 9mm magnum autopistol, with a 10mm snub derringer as backup. :)

Low Tech? A crossbow, best possible.
Mid: High capacity mid-range Atomatic. Like the H&K vp70z myself.

Or...

A good Punchy Machine Pistol like a Broomhandle Mauser in a big caliber with an extended magazine.

For like a total shipfighting character,
A large caliber Webley-Style revolver would probably be best. That opening style aids in placing special ammo, and is worth it if you are going to be a more careful shot.

High tech: Hard to beat a gauss pistol, or a laser pistol, but a high tech body pistol might be the way to go for overall adventuring. Concealable, even ultraconcealable is always best.

Since HEAP rounds penetrate armor better than standard slugs, and HEAP and HE both do more damage than standard slugs, then why would snubs be doing less damage to equipment or bulkheads than standard slugthrowers? They should be doing more damage, so why are they a better shipboard weapon?

Fair point. I've decided I do prefer gauss pistols...

(Note: Hyphen, I'm not saying you claimed lesser wall and equipment damage, but others have, and I think CT canon may as well.)

I go with the "equipment bays and instrument panels have an armor class equal to the TL of the starship they are mounted in". However, the ref still has to implement their own damage effects.

I was thinking of damage to the computer and life support systems rather than the hull, after all if hv weapons weren't going to cause problems no one would have bothered inventing low velocity weapons...

Regards

David

IIRC, the snub pistol and its low-velocity rounds were created to reduce recoil to improve handling and accuracy in zero-g combat, not to reduce interior damage caused by stray shots.

HEAP rounds in particular should do more damage to equipment. They penetrate combat armor/battledress better than standard ammo, so they ought to penetrate equipment casings, interior walls, pipes, ducts, etc., better.

Last edited:
IIRC, the snub pistol and its low-velocity rounds were created to reduce recoil to improve handling and accuracy in zero-g combat, not to reduce interior damage caused by stray shots.

HEAP rounds in particular should do more damage to equipment. They penetrate combat armor/battledress better than standard ammo, so they ought to penetrate equipment casings, interior walls, pipes, ducts, etc., better.

Yes, IMTU, snub pistols are preferred for their low recoil in zero-G and are typically loaded with tranqs and gas aboard ship. You would need special permissions to use explosive rounds aboard ship and have them specially issued from the locker.
HE(AP) would only be used in emergency to repel boarders (along with other kit) not for regular shipboard security.

Blades, Lasers, and Gauss Pistols!

My players seem to be happy with a sword/cutlass and a random sidearm...usually a gauss pistol, but someone always wants the laser pistol...Han Solo wannabee?

My current character has the "knife of obvious alien manufacture" from the first double adventure...Shadows I believe. My referee described it as a kind of crystal arabic jambiya with odd "alien" touches that you think you recognize...but just can't put your finger on.

That knife has a home in his left boot, while a laser pistol currently calls a holster on his right hip, rigged for a left handed draw, home.

I don't have a Han Solo Complex...I have a Dumarest of Terra complex...that and I just think lasers are cool!

Depends on how I feel mostly a .357 or .44 special revolver or a .45 automatic. reason being they have served me well in real life. (hi end armed security) remember your side arm is only used to fight your way back to your long arm that you never should have put down to begin with.

For my group, it always bolied down to the situation: High law level world with enthusiastic police? Rely on Blades or Brawling skill or risk the Body Pistol. Zero-G? Lasers or Snub Pistols. Armor? What can you get away with without looking like you're looking for trouble.

Of course, there's always the vacc-head who wants to trot around in Battle Dress no matter what the occasion. They tend to have brief but exciting (and funny for the onlookers) lives.

Players may have their favorites, but that often times results in making choices that bring on problems of their own.

Of course, there's always the vacc-head who wants to trot around in Battle Dress no matter what the occasion. They tend to have brief but exciting (and funny for the onlookers) lives.

Players may have their favorites, but that often times results in making choices that bring on problems of their own.

For that vac-head: someone in cloth armor or less who does the Battletech anti-'Mech thing and puts a satchel charge square between his (her) shoulders. Big boom and BD solved. (Whether or not the player, or character, learns the lesson is another story.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back