• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Perfect PC Sidearm

Perfect PC Sidearm

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
For our current GT campaign it would be either snub pistols or automatic pistols with light, unobstrusive protective vests. We did decide against laser or gauss pistols ourselves as the GM usually would tend to bring the opponents up to par - and it is easier to get ammo in the more or less low-tech region of the Islands Cluster. So by choosing the 'light' sidearm variant, we actually do save ourselves a bit of trouble (and if we do mean business and do not want to look like it there is always the armour piercing snub pistol variant, quite deadly).

If we do exspect heavy combat, there is always the Gauss Rifle waiting. Nothing more than armoured vacc suits for us, though.

Last edited:
As for a serious sidearm, I'd like a traveller tech version of the P90. I don't know if it would be gauss or caseless, but I'd like one.

I'd think that a hi-tech version of the LeMat revolver would be best. The original from the mid 19th century was a 9 shot .40 caliber pistol with a 16 gauge shotgun barrel in an over under arrangement.

A high tech version might be an automatic pistol of about the same caliber and a single shot break breech over-under combo where the single shot under fires a range of munitions like shotgun shell, HE, HEAT / antitank and, chemical rounds. This barrel could use gauss tech and fire hypervelocity antitank rounds, HE etc., too. It would be an M203 in a pistol.

Everyday, casual wear, not looking for trouble, not expecting war.

I do not want to advertize shot me I am gunned = snub, concealed carry.

Preference pistol: PPK/Makarov size, broader cylinder make the revolver harder to conceal, although I like the

Issue: variation of performance with ammo from differents manufacturer (and here I does not mean Remington and Winchester, I mean Joes two subsector appart ) interfere not only with point of aim but also with slide operation. Reload your own ammo needed to be sure (mind you, we are not talking 1,000 s of round a week for we are talking casual carry/back-up weapon for a trader rather than Squad Automatic Weapon for mercenaries)

Selandia

It depended on if the planet-facility being visited had an 'open carry' policy or not, if so my privateer-turned-merchant carried a contemporary version of a LeMat cavalry pistol (capable of becoming a carbine with detachable stock).

Various types of ammunition made the LeMat a formidable negotiation tool in those occasional social misunderstandings about unpaid freight fees and collection of fines resulting from overdue library books.

In places less 'liberal', a pair of matched body pistols and a set of holdout knives, all reasonably stealthy enough to evade casual detection methods.

One of my players has recently rolled up a pc who has a 3 in sling.

He stated that " Rocks are everywhere, and a long strip of leather is easy to conceal."

I'll let you all know how his slinger survives in a gunfight.

The problems with a sling include:

1. You pretty much have to be in the open and exposed to use it.

2. It takes some room to twirl the sling and throw the stone / shot.

3. It is slow firing. You have to load the sling then spin it one or more times before release.

4. If you are using random rocks as the missile these will have a bigger dispersion pattern due to their different sizes and weights. Missiles that are made to the same size and weight will be less problematic.

Its an interesting skill but one with limited practicality

The problems with a sling include:

1. You pretty much have to be in the open and exposed to use it.

2. It takes some room to twirl the sling and throw the stone / shot.

3. It is slow firing. You have to load the sling then spin it one or more times before release.

4. If you are using random rocks as the missile these will have a bigger dispersion pattern due to their different sizes and weights. Missiles that are made to the same size and weight will be less problematic.

Its an interesting skill but one with limited practicality

1: only partially true- and only for a hand sling - you have to be (sling+arm) length back from partial cover, but can be in about 2/3 covered positions. (Celtic slingers fired from palisades, for example.)

For a staff-sling, totally untrue. I've fired for effect from 75% covered positions.

2: true for a hand sling. Mostly False for a staff sling... you need space behind and above equal to staff+sling length.

3: Actually, false. a competent slinger can get "low" power shots with 0.5 rotations... A staff sling only rotates about 120°...

4: quite true, but not nearly as bad as you imply. But almost any military ammo can be loaded into the sling for good effect. Got a pile of 7mm ammo, and a 5mm rifle? Pop the bullets off with your leatherman, and use them. If you have time and epoxy, glue two slugs butt-to-butt. (better ballistics).

Typical riverine small gravel stone is highly accurate.

I know a celtic warfare recreator. He's fired random rocks with half a rotate 50yd with hit-a-man accuracy.

Also, the israeli army has found that west bank arab slingers are still a major threat... a bit of leather and some cord, and any yahoo can wound or kill a soldier with just a little practice.

Last edited:
I have thought for some time that a slinger could carry ammunition as jewelry - big beads on necklaces, belts, etc. A shipboard type could always walk around with some good-sized hexagonal nuts in their pocket - "I need them to install a new Wassenfruffer coil, Officer."

I just carried a simple 1911 .45. For serious work I had TDX rounds to help crack tough nuts. When things got interesting it was either a caseless Russian Skorpian clone (Full auto Sidearm) or a cut down single shot RAM GL in a hip holster. Think of that one as a big shot pistol.

For the 45 it has serious recoil but with lead slugs it hit soft targets hard but was less likely to harm ship stuff. I do not suggest firing one in zero G though.

This http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurus_Judge
0.45 APC or 0.410 3" with soft steel BB's...
One gun several applications ..
and a KaBar type knife..

S&W makes a 45LC/.410 six shot version now, it can shot 45 Auto rounds using a moonclip.
Taurus also has the Raging Judge which can shoot 45LC, .410 and .454 casual rounds.

Taurus makes (but is not legal in the United States) a 28 guage revolor. It has rifled barrel.
makes it equal to a .55 cal round.

Dave Chase

Oh for the old USAS 12 ga shotgun. Semi auto and used a clip magazine that came in 10 or 25 round sizes. No longer avalible in the states due to (Deleted due to graphic political commentary)....:D

EDIT: That was self editing not a mod...

Last edited:
Minimalist... but versatile.

I subscribe more along the lines of quiet and subtle...

Body Pistol and a small knife (long enough to fight with but small enough to not draw attention).

I appreciate those who like to make a statement when the walk into a room... (I was like that once, too) - Now, my philosophy is more along the lines "Try not to look important, it draws fire..."

For sneaky-beaky, non-bloodbath games: body pistol.
For shipboard actions: gauss pistol.
For putting down restless natives: break out the plasma/fusion guns!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back