• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Powell Class Modular Scout

POVray isn't particularly friendly for inputting and outputting models, unfortunately (as I understand, it does things somewhat differently to other modelling programs - its shapes are primitives, not meshes)

I find it very intuitive to use, myself - but that may be because I'm used to it. I've been trying to get my head around Lightwave for a few years and I find that damn near impossible to use, and that's supposedly an "intuitive interface".

This is coming along very nicely. :cool:

Why did you decide to angle the horizontal stabs instead of running them straight out? Not saying I don't like it -- just curious.

I had them so they ran straight out just above the side modules. Did that end up looking wonky? Can you try one that way as well so we can compare the two?

Also, can you give the bow airlock a bit more definition? Right now it's kind of hard to see.

Thanks!

Why did you decide to angle the horizontal stabs instead of running them straight out? Not saying I don't like it -- just curious.

having the fins come horizonatally out from the middle of the slanted surface didn't seem aestectically pleasing to me. I can give it a try

can you give the bow airlock a bit more definition? Right now it's kind of hard to see.

another thing that pro-e is not good at. I can give the edge a different color to help it stand out. I only have a hand full of colors to choose from and only a few of those are the right colors for a starship.

Originally posted by Egapillar:
can you give the bow airlock a bit more definition? Right now it's kind of hard to see.

another thing that pro-e is not good at. I can give the edge a different color to help it stand out. I only have a hand full of colors to choose from and only a few of those are the right colors for a starship.
Perhaps you could run a thin bead of red around each iris valve.

"I've been trying to get my head around Lightwave for a few years and I find that damn near impossible to use, and that's supposedly an "intuitive interface"."

Oh yeah, LW has a terrible GUI. 3d Studio is better. C4d is my favourite.

What about using Blender ?
The GUI has improved a lot

Originally posted by Egapillar:
Here are a couple new pictures. Only a couple changes. changed the color of the modules and added the dorsal iris valve
Looking better and better.

BTW I expect you noticed the odd shapes of the petal lines on the iris valves -- this is why:

wall5.gif

Note that the lines fit the shape of the frame each section tucks into. I tried to do a six-leaved version, but that won't work for a non-circular frame -- the petals run into each other. Five is the max for an ovoid frame and six for a round frame. I've done everything from two to five leaved animations for ovoids and two to six for circles. I'm thinking about doing the whole set up as an article.

I basically don't do iris valves for vertical hatches. there is no space advantange and there are too many sealing surfaces to be practical. The horizontal iris valve (in red and white) is actually 12 segments though I haven't done an animation to prove it will work. I assume that the petals can be made to move independently to fit together. your approach to vertical valve is interesting. I will have to take a look.
For vertical hatches I just do a hatch split down the middle, sliding into pockets on either side.

I've got all that, too, including (more or less) split-down-the-middle hatches. Dimensional drawings showing how much space is needed where and animations showing where the pieces go beyond the frame as well. I'll get that to you via private message in the next couple of days. Since I'm thinking of doing it up as an article I don't want to put it all out in public yet. :cool:

Back