• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Reconstructing the Kinunir in MT

Major B said:
First, looks like this will all fit into a .5 Td sphere easily. The hull ends up costing just under KCr25 and weighing .46 MT. Standard grav modules provide .1 G thrust for maneuverability and only cost just over KCr3. No Comm, Sensor, Weapons, or Screens = easy. A roomy passenger position takes up 4 kl of the 6.75 available.

Sounds good to me. One-half dTon agrees well with the small craft couch that provides the same protection PLUS life support. For the Hull, did you use the 8 point AF for disposable spacecraft (from Hard Times)?

The power plant is a problem, not due to size but cost - it adds KCr41.5 which puts this out of the price range for a "disposable" system. I'm going to try to replace the power plant with fuel cells - it will cost much less though the fuel will take up more space. Problem is I need to reduce the power needed.

The other power draws are:

Basic environment(minimal power needed but is this necessary if the trooper is in battle dress? BD provides heat but Basic Environment also includes lighting.)

Buy a flashlight from the equipment list and duck tape it to the ceiling. Cheap, no power required (batteries included) and disposable.

Basic Life support (already removed this since the BD provides life support). Inertial Compensators (this draws nearly as much power as the grav drive - is this necessary if the trooper is strapped in?)

Not if your grav drive provides a fraction of a Gee rating. This thing will fall at 1G based on the planetary gravity only – the soldier will feel weightless, like a sky diver. He could also easily handle up to 4 Gees for several minutes, so the ship could shoot the capsule towards the target and the soldier would be fine.

Control Panels (I use electronic panels since there is no on-board computer - changing the power to fuel cells will reduce the number of control panels significantly (it is currently at 22))

If you wanted a disposable computer, what about a hand comp? Would that help?

As it stands now I still have .19 kl of unused space.

If you have an atmosphere, air drag will limit the top speed. If the world is in vacuum, then there is no air drag. What prevents the capsule from ‘litho-breaking’ (hitting the ground really fast – splat)?

For the Hull, did you use the 8 point AF for disposable spacecraft (from Hard Times)?

No. I'm using the MT Ref Manual modified by the current version of the Errata. I didn't notice any modifiers for disposable craft there.

Not if your grav drive provides a fraction of a Gee rating. This thing will fall at 1G based on the planetary gravity only – the soldier will feel weightless, like a sky diver. He could also easily handle up to 4 Gees for several minutes, so the ship could shoot the capsule towards the target and the soldier would be fine.

If you wanted a disposable computer, what about a hand comp? Would that help?

If you have an atmosphere, air drag will limit the top speed. If the world is in vacuum, then there is no air drag. What prevents the capsule from ‘litho-breaking’ (hitting the ground really fast – splat)?

I figured that a hand comp and similar-sized inertial locator would be enough guidance to bring the capsule in to a pre-determined LZ, so the on-board computer was unnecessary.

The GT version of the drop capsule splits open and deploys a parachute for the last portion of the descent, but I thought that made the trooper too vulnerable so I'm trying to make this capsule land intact, then open. I intended the grav drive to be for evasive maneuvering and course correction during descent and to decelerate to a safe landing at the IP. If .1 G is insufficient to accomplish decelleration how much thrust would be required?

By the way, I scrapped the idea of fuel cells as the fuel requirements were too much. I replaced them with batteries that are mush smaller and far less expensive. Currently the batteries provide one hour of power and I have quite a bit of leftover space for gear. Is one hour enough?

By the way, I scrapped the idea of fuel cells as the fuel requirements were too much. I replaced them with batteries that are much smaller and far less expensive. Currently the batteries provide one hour of power and I have quite a bit of leftover space for gear. Is one hour enough?

At 1 G the time from orbit to ground is measured in minutes.

For a gentle example, a ship parked in a stationary low orbit (300 km up) drops the capsules straight down. Planetary gravity pulls the capsules which freefall at 10 meters per second for about 2.9 minutes. At this point, a 2G drive ignites and slows the capsule down. The passenger experiences a gentle 1G deceleration for 2.9 minutes and comes to a stop hovering inches above the ground. Total time from orbit to ground = 2.9 + 2.9 = 5.8 minutes. [Note, this gentle example assumed a vacuum world where the 2G drive had to do all of the work of stopping the capsule. A standard atmosphere would have provided some of the breaking needed to slow the capsule.]

For a less gentle example, a ship parked in a stationary low orbit (300 km up) drops the capsules straight down. The capsules accelerates towards the ground at 4G (3G thrust + 1G gravity) for about 1.4 minutes. At this point, the capsule rotates 180 degrees and decelerates at 4G (5G thrust –1G gravity) for another 1.4 minutes and comes to a stop hovering inches above the ground. Total time from orbit to ground = 1.4 + 1.4 = 2.8 minutes. [Four Gees is about the upper limit for reentry without some soldiers experiencing blackout.]

As a ‘back of the envelope’ calculation:
A 1 kl solid fuel rocket (cost = Cr 50,000) will provide the 2G breaking required to land a 900 kg (0.9 metric tonne) capsule in the ‘gentle example’. No PP, no Batteries, no MD - just the solid rocket, the electronics, the passenger and the shell.

A 2 kl solid fuel rocket (cost = Cr 100,000) will provide the 3G/5G required to land a 900 kg (0.9 metric tonne) capsule in the ‘less gentle example’.

Last edited:
No. I'm using the MT Ref Manual modified by the current version of the Errata. I didn't notice any modifiers for disposable craft there.

FYI:

“Certain vehicles designed in this sequence may be disposable - they are not expected to be reclaimed and used again. One example would be any rockets which provide initial liftoff thrust and are then jettisoned to burn up in the atmosphere.
A disposable component that is not intended to leave the
atmosphere must have a hull armor rating of 4 or more. A disposable component leaving the atmosphere must have a hull armor rating of 8 or more.”
[MT Hard Times, pg 83]

Use it if it helps.

A disposable component that is not intended to leave the
atmosphere must have a hull armor rating of 4 or more. A disposable component leaving the atmosphere must have a hull armor rating of 8 or more.”

Thanks, it does help and it meshes with the concept I was following.

I'm following the description of three drop capsule types found in Striker Book 2. The design I'm doing now is the Assault Capsule that has an armor value of 20.

When I finish this I'll design the basic drop capsule. No armor is listed for this in Striker and I was going to use 4, which matches what you provided from Hard Times.

The other variant is the 'high survivability' capsule with heavier armor (28) and ECM. I'll do that one last.

For a less gentle example, a ship parked in a stationary low orbit (300 km up) drops the capsules straight down. The capsules accelerates towards the ground at 4G (3G thrust + 1G gravity) for about 1.4 minutes. At this point, the capsule rotates 180 degrees and decelerates at 4G (5G thrust –1G gravity) for another 1.4 minutes and comes to a stop hovering inches above the ground. Total time from orbit to ground = 1.4 + 1.4 = 2.8 minutes. [Four Gees is about the upper limit for reentry without some soldiers experiencing blackout.]

If the launch unit provides a 3G propulsion at start, could the unit use 2G of thrust and constantly decellerate to the ground?

This would have the unit start with 4G (3 from launch force plus one gravity) and provide 1G worth of decelleration constantly (2G of thrust minus one gravity) with a total elapsed time to the ground of 4 minutes?

And please forgive my ignorance. I remember going to physics, solids, thermo, etc but that was a long time ago.

If the launch unit provides a 3G propulsion at start, could the unit use 2G of thrust and constantly decellerate to the ground?

That should work, perhaps a 9G push for a few seconds (roughly the human limits for conciousness) and a steady breaking to a stop.

And please forgive my ignorance. I remember going to physics, solids, thermo, etc but that was a long time ago.

I just happen to be on top of this at the moment because I was trying to recreate accurate Apollo Era spacecraft using MT. I've been reading up on delta-v and Isp a lot lately.

Last edited:
Arthur -- if you can put together some numbers to fix Hard Times, make sure you post them in the errata.

I'd love to have something reliable to use for TL 7 spacecraft.

Progress Report

Here's the current version of the assault capsule, with some analysis of the design. I'd like to generate some more discussion before I move on to the next stage.

The cost of a .5 Td sperical hull with armor value of 20 is Cr 24,990.

I've built a battery power supply that powers all systems for 1 hour, with .048 MW left over, so actual life is a little over an hour depending on how much the grav drives are stressed.

I used a hand computer (lifted intact from the IE) and an inertial locator (also straight from IE) for guidance, figuring the system would be set to maneuver automatically to a pre-determined LZ.

Since the hand computer has the equival;ent of a model 1 in computing power (per the IE description), the control requirements dropped to just one computer linked control panel.

I removed the inertial compensators but kept basic environment in the capsule.

There is one "roomy" passenger position (4 kl) and 2.55 kl of extra cargo space. However, I capped total weight at 1.5 Mg so the total weight of the passenger and gear cannot exceed .8641 Mg without decreasing performance. That equates to 1905.014 lbs so I think there is enough of a weight allowance there. Users would probably reach the weight limit before the cube limit, and available space always gets used so the capsules may end up being a cache with extra battery packs for the BD, extra ammo, and other supplies.

Total cost is Cr 42,858. I was trying to get it down to the Cr 25,000 area but the hull alone already had me at that price. The grav drive costs Cr 9,000 and provides 2G of thrust.

Given the cost and the capability of this system, I'd see it being re-used as much as possible. Once the trooper reaches the ground, he could send the capsule back to the ship or the capsules could be locked and retained for MEDEVAC if needed. Of course, all returning capsules would have to be subjected to a densitometer scan before recovery to ensure that there were no "presents" put aboard. If the capsule carries more extra supplies than the trooper can carry, he would have to remove them and establish a cache before hitting the 'return' button.

Imperial units would only re-use the capsules a set number of times for safety reasons (10? 20?), but companies like Instellarms would probably refurbish and sell models that had been used more times for mercenary and planetary force markets.

If this looks like a workable system, I'll start on the standard re-entry capsule (lighter armor version used for training and for assaults on low-tech or low-threat worlds), high-survivability (heavier armor and ECM package), and a civilian lifeboat version (I think this will carry multiple passengers, at least 3 and maybe 4).

After that I'll work out the launcher details.

Last edited:
More Progress

I've got the basic designs for all four drop capsules done. Once the first was pretty set the rest were just easy modifications.

Basic Military Design: M28A3 Dart Atmospheric Re-Entry Capsule
Displacement: .5 Td (volume = 6.75 kl)
Maximum weight allowed: 790.2 kg (1742 lbs)
Max Thrust: 2G
Armor Value: 4G
Total Cost: Cr 16,868

Assault Design: M30A2 Arrow Assault Atmospheric Re-Entry Capsule
Maximum weight allowed: 864.1 kg (1905 lbs)
Armor Value: 20G
Total Cost: Cr 42,858

High Threat Design: M36A1 Javelin Assault Atmospheric Re-Entry Capsule - High Survivability
Maximum weight allowed: 857.6 kg (1891 lbs)
Armor Value: 28G
Total Cost: Cr 73,298 (plus cost of decoy dispenser - still working that part up)

Civilian "Lifeboat" Design: LSP Emergency Atmospheric Re-Entry Capsule
Maximum weight allowed: 487.5 kg (1075 lbs)
Armor Value: 4G
Total Cost: Cr 16,693
Notes: Externally identical to the M28 model, the civilian version seats 3 (in cramped positions) and has basic life support installed.

New Thread

I've posted all the current versions of capsules and components in a new thread over in the fleet forum (here).

Please take a look and provide feedback.

Back