• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Regina Startown (1900)

a TL 16 Casablanca 1940s/ 1800s Western Town??

Sensations district - booze, huge gambling clubs, all forms of physical amusement/tests, the Local lottery
Dredge district - where those that lost everything end up
Cargo Hold district - warehousing
Chemical district - production of jump fuel and other ship related hazards
High district - The better side of town. Perhaps around a hill top. Best views, best clubs, hotels, and residences. Access to any gravitic facilities.
Central City - Stores, Government facilities, Businesses

And who's to say if the chemical district IS the sensations district? :devil:

a TL 16 Casablanca 1940s/ 1800s Western Town??

Sensations district - booze, huge gambling clubs, all forms of physical amusement/tests, the Local lottery
Dredge district - where those that lost everything end up
Cargo Hold district - warehousing
Chemical district - production of jump fuel and other ship related hazards
High district - The better side of town. Perhaps around a hill top. Best views, best clubs, hotels, and residences. Access to any gravitic facilities.
Central City - Stores, Government facilities, Businesses

This is interesting. And thank you for suggesting Casablanca, as well as categories for various districts of a starport-adjacent city.

Don't forget, if we are talking average higher tech, there is going to be a lot of vertical building, i.e. gravitic cities.

The concept of a specific physical location for a city and it's various districts may seem as quaint and old-fashioned as grass hut villages do to the average urban person today.

Real estate may be defined more as airspace and proximity to other desirable floating neighborhoods and natural/resource features then simplistic 2-D cities.

This is interesting. And thank you for suggesting Casablanca, as well as categories for various districts of a starport-adjacent city.

Sure.
I lived in Long Beach and also Tampa. Each have interesting supporting regions.

Cities with ports tend to have supporting infrastructure beyond bars and dock.
Casablanca is interesting because it was a hive but not like a star wars enclave.

And who's to say if the chemical district IS the sensations district? :devil:

;) Yeah. That occurred to me too.
I don't know how many people sniff Hydrogen fuel but...well...ok.
Such infrastructure may not be completely located in the starport.
The districts may do production related activities beyond supplying starships/spacecraft.

You can also burrow down.

Not a port, but there's also the Las Vegas and Disneyland variants.

Sure. Tampa has Bush Gardens outside of city proper. Vegas is not a port city. But if you think of Atlantic City as a district it gets interesting.

The port is probably loosely governed by checkpoints along the city limits. The city is a replication of a larger scale of supporting infrastructure but also thousands of businesses taking off world resources and converting them into interesting products for export or import.

So...

Since people keep suggesting stuff for Startown that I think go in the Port (to me Startown is nothing but stores selling crap, cheap eats and warehouses for stuff coming on to/being sent off the world), what exactly do you all think the Port is?

Just berths and some offices? I always set it up that for anything Class B or A means you can never have to leave the Port to do anything. And Class C almost as many things. To me you don't have to leave the Port for anything till Class <D.

To me, Startown is nothing but a bunch of tourist traps and sucker bait for foolish spacers. No one really goes there except to be sexed up, drugged or liquored up and maybe robbed and assaulted. Startown is a where the dregs of the society hang out. Smart spacers either shop in Port or go past Startown and shop in the city like everyone else who lives on the world.

So in word, Startown = Sketchy and Dangerous.

Startown would cater to the crews and naive travellers, and maybe less naive travellers. And less naive natives.

Probably also easier to meet contacts and brokers for less savoury cargo.

Well...

Startown would cater to the crews and naive travellers, and maybe less naive travellers. And less naive natives.

Probably also easier to meet contacts and brokers for less savoury cargo.
There is that. I mean I don't do such things being a Noble and all.

And if I did pretty sure I can figure out ways to do such things without getting seen in Startown. Besides my Yacht has better food. :rolleyes:

Since people keep suggesting stuff for Startown that I think go in the Port (to me Startown is nothing but stores selling crap, cheap eats and warehouses for stuff coming on to/being sent off the world), what exactly do you all think the Port is?...

I mostly agree: the port proper has everything you need, based on Imperial standards. However...

Incoming (locally produced) cargo may be stored temporarily outside the line prior to any checking/validation/whatever legal things may have to get done.

Fancier / alternative ship stores may be localized, and not want to pay the starport tax / space rental (as per food items costing more inside the airport than outside [well, there may be a law now but for a long time you got screwed eating in the airport])

Spare parts may be cheaper (i.e., non-OEM parts, buyer beware) outside.

Spare parts you can't get inside (sure, we've got a pulse turret that will fit) may be available (legally or otherwise) outside.

Better accommodations may be available (well, probably not in Startown...)

Etc.

Plus, you really have to have a tavern where everyone meets up, you start a bar fight, but as it is outside the port you don't get banned from the port. Just so you can come back to fight again.

Say what?!

/snip/

Plus, you really have to have a tavern where everyone meets up, you start a bar fight, but as it is outside the port you don't get banned from the port. Just so you can come back to fight again.
Say who? Why?

Getting banned from a Port will teach them to have better manners and conduct themselves as Travellers and not some sort of riff-raff and hooligans.

Actions have consequences and if they fight bad enough to get banned from Port then unless the Law Level is low, they can get banned from crossing the XT Line on a world for that same conduct.

Also, at least in the Port you are guaranteed a fair and honest trial with an Advocate and everything.

Past the XT Line, well, that depends on so many things Citizen, yes, I see your passport they gave me that along with the charge sheet...

Maybe, just maybe you Travellers could I don't know not get into fights.

Cripes, some undignified and violent sorts the average Traveller must be. *shakes head* Sad, just sad.

Last edited:
To me, Startown is nothing but a bunch of tourist traps and sucker bait for foolish spacers. No one really goes there except to be sexed up, drugged or liquored up and maybe robbed and assaulted.

Shore leave.

I don't see ship repairs being done here.

Good point about the Starport having many services. Perhaps that's a good place for the TAS Hostel (it's safe and cheap enough).

For some reason, "hiring halls" were placed in Startown, not the Starport. I wonder why?

And: there are no hard and fast rules. "Every Starport is different. Every Startown is different."

Uh-huh.

Shore leave.
People do that? *shudders* Don't you people understand, shore leave is nature's way of trying to screw up your life and make you have adventures. Danger, ick. Yeah, tell me how that went, I'll be on the ship talking to my Broker. ;)

I don't see ship repairs being done here.

Good point about the Starport having many services. Perhaps that's a good place for the TAS Hostel (it's safe and cheap enough).
Of course the TAS Hostel inside the XT Line. And yeah, Startown is not going to repair your ship, though they may sell you one...

For some reason, "hiring halls" were placed in Startown, not the Starport. I wonder why?
I suspect so people could do hinky stuff. Which is why in my ATU they are in the Starport. Well, the legit ones anyway. :smirk:

And: there are no hard and fast rules. "Every Starport is different. Every Startown is different."
Except for that part where Class A Ports have Shipyards... :p

Say who? Why?

Getting banned from a Port will teach them to have better manners and conduct themselves as Travellers and not some sort of riff-raff and hooligans.

Actions have consequences and if they fight bad enough to get banned from Port then unless the Law Level is low, they can get banned from crossing the XT Line on a world for that same conduct.

Also, at least in the Port you are guaranteed a fair and honest trial with an Advocate and everything.

Past the XT Line, well, that depends on so many things Citizen, yes, I see your passport they gave me that along with the charge sheet...

Maybe, just maybe you Travellers could I don't know not get into fights.

Cripes, some undignified and violent sorts the average Traveller must be. *shakes head* Sad, just sad.

local law vs imperial law is you point correct?

Imperial Law might be a bit less strict? as long as it doesn't involve trade, murder or WMD it might be better to have the bars in the starport... :confused:

what law code is imperial law anyway? local law structures can be wildly varying....

Churches. For well-known faiths and obscure sects. And from the truly benevolent to those who favor granting salvation by separating prospects from their credits.

Sophont-clubs. Ranging from the Vargr dive bars to Hiver philosophical gatherings. And who knows what goes on at the local Droyne place. Also spanning the gamut from a species-only get-away (where Newts can relax and just be moist, and file their own paperwork for once) to the "Aslan" club where totally legit "Aslan" dancers cater to travelling fetishists.

Imperial Service recruiting offices. Because there are idiot Nobles who don't do shore leave, so we need lots of Marines to keep those, ahhh, folks "safe" from local color.

Anybody who builds tall buildings by a starport is asking to have them clipped off...

:p

There should be, in my opinion, no tall buildings near. Especially off the ends of the runways.

Back