• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General Ship repairs: Extra Imperial space

gchuck

SOC-12
Knight
Curious how others handle ship repairs in polities other than the Imperium.
Do ships have complete specs for all/some components saved in their computers?
If your detached scout has an engineering casualty in Aslan space, can the requisite part/s be fabricated to spec for the repair?
Or are you stuck trying to fit a left handed framastadt into the right handed slot?

If your detached scout has an engineering casualty in Aslan space, can the requisite part/s be fabricated to spec for the repair?
Or are you stuck trying to fit a left handed framastadt into the right handed slot?
I realize this was from many years ago, but I remember when the full tech manuals and blueprints for a commercial jet were on CD ROMs and stored abord the jet. That way no matter what, the mechanics had copies of everything on hand. So I always figured in some format or another the full specs and blueprints were on my ships. Add in the idea of 3d printing being able to be done with metal now combined with small auto mills and laiths, I imagined a ship could make most parts needed on their own. The parts they could not, that might need to be replaced, I imagined were stored abord as well.

After that, I just went with the flow most of the time. :)

If they don't they are SO SCREWED ... :eek:
Maybe not "original spec" parts, but "good enough for the job" parts won't be that difficult.
Makertech solves a LOT of parts manufacturing issues, starting @ TL=10.

Scout/courier is old tech. Imperium has been around for millenia, has been in the Marches for centuries. With regard to Arden and the smaller polities, a lot of that space was once Imperial space and I assume they import a lot of stuff from their neighbors, so you can likely repair a common Imperial ship fairly easily there. Probably not a good idea to take a scout/courier into Zhodani space but, if you're on friendly terms, maybe they can have something shipped in or fabricate something that'll serve. Vargr and Sword Worlds they can probably get what you need on the black market but it'll cost.

Scout/courier is old tech. Imperium has been around for millenia, has been in the Marches for centuries. With regard to Arden and the smaller polities, a lot of that space was once Imperial space and I assume they import a lot of stuff from their neighbors, so you can likely repair a common Imperial ship fairly easily there. Probably not a good idea to take a scout/courier into Zhodani space but, if you're on friendly terms, maybe they can have something shipped in or fabricate something that'll serve. Vargr and Sword Worlds they can probably get what you need on the black market but it'll cost.
Um ... the question was about ...
If your detached scout has an engineering casualty in Aslan space
... Aslan space, which is a bit further afield from the Third Imperium than the Spinward Marches ...

... Aslan space, which is a bit further afield from the Third Imperium than the Spinward Marches ...
Oh sure, Aslan stuff is totally different from Imperial hardware. Totally.

And don't even think about saying otherwise when they're listening.

Major Race (Trav Wiki)

It's something that's come up with in my games both in the Charted Space setting and in my own setting.

How I rule it is that most ship's should (in an engineering space, ships locker, workshop etc) have a fabricator of some sort - I don't quite go as far as the full matter conversion of maker tech because I'm not a fan but I allow for most parts to be replaceable that way.

When it comes to damage that can't be repaired due to a fabber - usually the ship's computer will have some details about parts - though this can cause issues when polities have different units of measurement.

In my homemade setting the three Great Powers influencing the sector (and this their puppets) all use different standard units which I represent in my game with Imperial (Space-Britain), Metric (Space-Authoritarian's-Pretending-to-be-Social-Democrats), and Chinese Imperial Units (Space-Qing). I had an adventure with a player group when they (in their ship from Space-Britain backed Space-Meji-Japan) needed to transport a part to planet so a ship using Imperial measurements could be repaired with out the Metric using planetary government getting suspicious of why a Space-British ship was operating so far into the territory of the power they were in a cold war with.

This depends on your viewpoint.

If the Aslan reverse engineered a Terran starship, chances are that a lot of that particular technology is compatible.

On the other hand, while I tend to think the Vargr can fix anything, I would have an Imperium spaceyard go over it with a fine toothcomb, once you get back.

If the scoutship is Vilani designed engineering, you may be up the creek, with or washout a paddle.

IMTU there are about two dozen parts that a given ship might not be able to fabricate. In cases of naval ships or large corporate carriers, they simply carry either fully functional or reduced reliability duplicates.

IMHO it will mostly depend on the referee's needs for the adventure.

Do you want the team moving on? the part is either available or easily produced.

Do you want the team to stay? the part is unavailable and not so easy to produce

Do you want the team to lose some money? the part is unavailable and either it has to be improted at high cost or expensive to produce

Do you want the team to be involved in some specific mission? that's the cost for the part

This said, of course, for a custom built ship the latter options are more likely, while any IDP ship will have more easilyu available ones...

Oops.

Tech's still old, they'd probably be able to do something to get you running, but it's likely to be a chimera. I don't know for the politics down there, so I don't know how willing they might be. Payment might be tricky unless you travel with a pretty full bank card.

Back