• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

OTU Only: Shugushaag (600Td J5 Freighter, LBB2 2nd Ed.)

Middle Deck (of three):
1_ShugBDeck.jpg

This deck includes the personnel airlock, passenger/gunner staterooms, low berths, and the upper 3m of the 6m tall cargo hold.

The passenger/gunner lounge doubles as the entry reception area.

If a second or third turret is installed, the gunners are quartered here. Otherwise, this is space for up to two middle passengers.
The third room here holds eight low berths. (The mid passengers might get creeped out by spending a week next to a bunch of corpsicles....)
Yeah, the room doesn't have enough space -- but this section of the deck does have the volume for two staterooms and 4Td for the low berths. I'm invoking artistic license.

Note that there is no direct access from the staterooms to either the drive bay or the cargo hold.

The blue line paralleling the cargo hold doors is the level at which the curve of the hull is 3m from the ceiling of the cargo hold. The parting line of the cargo hold doors is shown along the centerline, fading away into the distance (ha!) of the deck below.

Last edited:
Lower Deck (of three):
1_ShugCDeck.jpg

This is the cargo deck. The heavy line inside the hull outline is where this deck's floor would end, if there was a floor present. The hull curves up from that line toward the mid-deck, and down into the space below the deck. The top of the aft landing gear wells are visible in outline inside the fuel space.

The cargo hold is 6m tall... mostly.
The aft 1.5m (in a line across from the elevator door) is overhung by the gunner quarters, and is only 3m high.
The deck is flat from the aft wall to the curved line about halfway forward. Beyond that, it curves upward as it follows the hull curvature; after the furthest-forward curved line, it's nearly vertical -- and that space is technically in the next deck up...

The cargo hold doors open by moving down-and-forward (outward) a short distance, then sliding sideways to port and starboard. It is strongly suggested to avoid standing on them as they're opening...
The hold's ceiling above the door opening has a hoist for cargo loading, as well as anchors to secure standard shipping containers to the ceiling (so they're not resting on the cargo hold doors).

Personnel entry and exit are normally through the airlock on the mid-deck. At starports (or lack thereof) without grav shuttle service or skybridges to reach that airlock, personnel enter and exit through the cargo bay.

On variants with six turrets installed, there will be a floor hatch (not illustrated here) just aft of the iris valve between the two sections of the drive bay, to the ventral centerline turret. The outboard ventral turrets (if equipped) are accessed through the floor iris valves in the port and starboard maintenance access shafts. These floor iris valves are not present if the turrets are not installed.

Last edited:
Writeups added to the deck plans.

Deck plans start HERE (post #19 in this thread).

Last edited:
Just noticed that the mid-deck should have "bridge electronics" in the nose, on either side of the cargo bay -- basically in the same positions as in the lower deck. Missed that when I was fixing some details with the cargo bay doors and the hull curvature. Not worth re-doing the whole drawing and re-uploading it, though.

Grr.

The original deck plans I posted are probably permanently lost in the forum transition, so I'm reposting them.
Overall summary in LBB2 paragraph format in Post #1 of this thread.

I've done some minor fixes (mostly, downsizing the staterooms in favor of larger common areas).

These deck plans are for the Distant Merchant variant.

Color coding and deck plan symbols are almost entirely borrowed from Azhanti High Lightning.
Deck plan squares are 1.5m, scale should be 1"=3m. It might even print out that way...

Exterior Views and Longitudinal Cross-Section:
(Description and comments are in Post #19 of this thread.)
Click to enlarge.
Shug Exteriors.jpg

ShugSection.jpg

Last edited:
I just had the unpleasant realization that the drive bay isn't handicap-accessible (it needs an elevator). Honestly, that's probably something that doesn't come up in play all that often...

Don't mind me, I'm just having an "I'm trying to create an OSHA-compliant starship here!" moment.

My conception of the drive bay involves two levels of metal-grating catwalks around the massive 3-deck-tall blocks of drive machinery, and a huge flat bulkhead ahead of it (except for the power plant on the forward side of that bulkhead). Think "outside edges of a giant industrial plant such as an oil refinery." Some kind of cargo lift would suit it, if I can figure out how to stuff it in there somehow.

It doesn't really need revising, it's just mildly annoying to me in retrospect because I should have thought of that at the time.

Last edited:
I just had the unpleasant realization that the drive bay isn't handicap-accessible (it needs an elevator). Honestly, that's probably something that doesn't come up in play all that often...

Don't mind me, I'm just having an "I'm trying to create an OSHA-compliant starship here!" moment.
I would like to think that anyone considered handicapped at the current OSHA TL would be prosthetic-enabled by TL13, making the need for extra accommodations moot.

I would like to think that anyone considered handicapped at the current OSHA TL would be prosthetic-enabled by TL13, making the need for extra accommodations moot.
Good point.

The other thing that came to mind was, what if some of the engineering crew is wounded yet still need to perform maintenance/operation tasks?

To paraphrase someone famous, "We cannot prepare for all of the unknown unknowns, only the known unknowns." I'm thinking that in zero G, mobility becomes a totally different FUBAR issue? In game terms, assuming combat caused said wounds, there's always a dramatic scene where the character or NPC struggles to throw the switch, reach the hatch, or overcome some physical obstacle that will save the ship, fellow crewman or the engine. They don't design engine rooms to accommodate for these crisis scenarios, but they make for great gameplay.

@Hairy Jim DeGriz, re: your sig line:
"I'm not an Aslan, I just play one at parties. Is anyone living in this spare bedroom?"

"If the referee gives you the chance to play a samurai catgirl with a real-estate fetish, play the samurai catgirl with a real-estate fetish!"
--
me.

---------------------------
On topic: The other issue I see with the design is that there isn't an easy egress path from the main quarters deck. That's actually by design (it's a security feature). While I suppose there's the windows on the flight deck -- or in the worst case, the centerline dorsal pop-up turret can probably be ejected somehow -- I might consider adding an external hatch somewhere. Maybe.

And it might be worth re-starting the thread from scratch to make it more readable. You know, with the deck descriptions in the same post as the corresponding deck plans, and both of those up at the beginning of the thread... little details like that.

Last edited:
Depends on the handicap.

If it's combat related, I think you're screwed anyway, since I recall you need gravity to control bleeding; otherwise, switch off the artificial gravity, and use handholds.

You could also use the Guggenheim museum continuous spiral walkway.

The other thing that came to mind was, what if some of the engineering crew is wounded yet still need to perform maintenance/operation tasks?
Under combat conditions, expect the section to be depressurized (reducing the risk of explosive decompression) with crew in vacc suits.

If crew are wounded, expect local gravity in the room to be lowered but not all the way down to zero G (0.1-0.2G works just fine) allowing for "floaty" action while still keeping a sense of "floor down" where everything will fall to.

Depends on the complexity of the prosthesis. I think its fair to assert that a wheel chair is a prosthesis, but still limits mobility and reach. I don't know if a paralyzed person would be replacing such a thing with some kind of "walker" contraption.

Then again, we don't know the state of medical science to the point where such disabilities may only be temporary during a healing process.

Civilian spaceships don't expect to get shot up, regularly.

Starwarships should have crew redundancy, possibly popping a popsicle in adverse conditions.

For more floaty engineering drama you could go with an external access method especially for big part swap out or damage blocking access.
I ran into that as an issue during my recent "hey, let's see how Annic Nova works when you actually try to use it" writing exercise here.

I'd retconned the machine shops into Maker Devices since that seemed appropriate for modern tech assumptions. Then I started wondering how you'd get the newly-fabricated parts up to the drive bays. And then I wondered how you'd get large sheets of replacement Collector Sail material out to the Collector. . .

Real-world ships often require cutting holes in decks or bulkheads to get the engines out (the engines themselves are meant to last the life of the hull; only smaller (relatively speaking) components would normally be replaced).

That ship also has a related problem with cargo handling, since the only cargo bay door opens to the inside of the pinnace docking bay. There is no easy way to crossload cargo from a shuttle or highport cargo dock. (Note: I'm discussing the DA1/JTAS version, not the one in MgT2 High Guard.)

Back