• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Starport Law Level

You have just grounded a fusion power plant with a multigigwatt output. A ship that may be mounting a few rather potent lasers, even a sandcaster is a pretty destructive weapon at ground combat scale.
A few bullets and bombs will scarcely be a concern.

You have just grounded a fusion power plant with a multigigwatt output. A ship that may be mounting a few rather potent lasers, even a sandcaster is a pretty destructive weapon at ground combat scale.

I always figured high security ports would require reactor shutdown and tying into port power, precisely to prevent weapons use and unscheduled departures.

Given that the ship is easily tracked down and that blasting a starport with your pulse lasers would certainly attract Imperial attention, I don't think that's quite the same problem as allowing passengers to wander the concourse armed to the teeth.

Going on Pier Services (outside power, water, and sewage) would give the engineers a chance to do preventive maintenance on equipment, and slow down any escapes. I'm quite sure that decently sized starports are going to have a requirement about running ship's power for an amount of time while in the starport, partially as a way to control departures.

I had always considered the SPA's control to be of the "order" rather than "law" type. If you carry your gauss rifle across the XT line onto a LL8 planet, you will be arrested. Said gauss rifle does not offend imperial law, however, and will not get you arrested inside the starport; the SPA can tell you when, if, and even how you may carry it openly throughout the starport, however. The emphasis is one letting everyone safely through the starport, not on arresting anyone in the starport.

The XT line, like many legal fictions, is manipulated to the benefit of the parties, but most importantly the authorities. Under some conditions, may a ship be considered to have "exited" the starport? Certainly. What are those? Anyone's guess is as good as mine: conflict of laws is a nightmare with just a few dozen, very well-documented jurisdictions. When we talk about thousands of jurisdictions upon which less that a dozen pages have been written, then we need dozens of orders of magnitude more legal information to render anything more than a hazy guess.

Certain principles apply, less accurate than sweeping, and more useful than accurate:
1. All laws have exceptions.
2. Exceptions are often vague.
3. Most legal professionals do not even know all such exceptions in their own jurisdictions.
4. Most laymen don't fully understand even the most basic laws of their own jurisdiction; they have a fair understanding of some legal myths that are more true than false.
5. Most layman and professionals think they understand more law than they do.

As such, Refs should, IMHO, feel less compunction to understand and explain legal matters than they do to explain how the inside of a jump drive actually works. "You gauss rifle has been taken away, quite politely, by this Imperial Marine, citing some SPA reg you have never heard, and you have been given a claim stub, the back of which has a coupon for B1G1F tree kracken bites at Chandlers."
"Why?!?!?"
"Well, you don't really know. No one else seems to be carrying military longarms around, and you think you may have seen some sign, but you don't know where. The Marine is telling you to move along, and his smile is flagging. Some other members of his patrol are looking your way. Do you want to jump him?"
"What does the claim say?"
"Your weapon will be returned to your departing vessel, and the kracken bites are 600 grams a serving."

The genius of have a vague legal system of systems is that it is admirably quick. Law in the OTU is a blessedly vague abstraction, with only a couple of pavement markings. In my jurisdiction, where I practice on a professional basis, and in all the others in which I have taught law, legal decision-making never involves dice. A tragedy which has, though not an "expert," allowed me to make out a living within the minutia of the written law, and the far more important arcane, unwritten of the local courtroom work groups.

Keep it fuzzy! Pull out baffling details for chrome, but avoid logical explanation. The bigger the starport, the more regs, and the less understandable.

The regs will, IMTU which is my truest construction of the OTU, keep order but seek to avoid charges and formal procedures. A bit of "Be good, citizen!" [whack-whack], but no crimes, jails, or judges for simple mistakes. Thwarted wills, but no indictments. Sometimes, rarely, the locals creep in. Extradition for local offenses makes the improbably complex SPA regs look simple in comparison.

My Cr .02

You can load an app on your iComm that will clearly explain prevailing laws and ordinances, and if they aren't clear, interpretations.

Back to Starport LL, one thing to keep in mind is where it is located. In TTA Aramanx is an Imperial Orbital Station and is "neutral ground" over the balkanized world. With that being said location of the Starport would be the a key to not only its LL but who runs the place. Another key is local TL as well as where the system is located.

IMTU - Most Starports within the Imperium have an effective LL between 4-6, these are ran by the SPA (I like it so I use it), there are some ran by Megacorps these tend to be higher 5-8 range, then at like Depots or other heavy military base/system the civilian access starport LL is 7-A if you have a legit reason to go there.

My ideas are loosely based on concept done in Far Traveller 1

Remember that the LL needs to encourage trade yet maintain some order and civility

Back