• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Starships : spare parts

Hi Hivemind,

I see on Page 243 of TNE :

"Parts: All systems are assumed to include a basic parts selection which includes all commonly needed replacement parts. However, as parts are used from this assortment, they must be replaced or there is a risk that future breakdowns will result in a shortage."

Then in the Battle Damage chapter on the same page, the number of parts needed is mentionned :

Repair of Minor Damage requires 1d6-2 parts, Major Damage 1D10 plus the number of major damage results.

Those repairs are only temporary, permanent repairs are made at starport.

Cost for permanent repairs is clear, but I can't find anywhere the cost to buy new Spare Parts (neither the cost of basic materials to fabricate them).

Did I miss something ?
Is it specified elsewhere ?
If not do you have any house rule ?
Does the cost depend on which system is to be repaired (complicated) ? or would it be a generic spare part cost (easier) ?
What would be the weight of 1 spare part ? 1 ton ?

Thanks.

Hi Hivemind,

I see on Page 243 of TNE :

"Parts: All systems are assumed to include a basic parts selection which includes all commonly needed replacement parts. However, as parts are used from this assortment, they must be replaced or there is a risk that future breakdowns will result in a shortage."

Then in the Battle Damage chapter on the same page, the number of parts needed is mentionned :

Repair of Minor Damage requires 1d6-2 parts, Major Damage 1D10 plus the number of major damage results.

Those repairs are only temporary, permanent repairs are made at starport.

Cost for permanent repairs is clear, but I can't find anywhere the cost to buy new Spare Parts (neither the cost of basic materials to fabricate them).
I seem to recall from the games I ran I included the replacement of the spares use as part of the permanent repair cost.

Though, I do know that stripping suitable parts from wreaks was a big pastime in at least one go my games as well.

I also assumed the basic load of parts was included in the volume required for said piece of equipment, with extra volume devoted to spares providing a bonus. Though I also remember having the mass of supplies related to the various workshops as well.

In my game, getting spares for salvage takes 1 hit, for every hit repaired. Otherwise one is looking at paying 2d6 x 10% for price of the components. I'll let them use broker rolls too.

Back