• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

T20 Drednaughts? What is the point?

My Second Printing of T20 states on PG. 162 "The Gunner attacks by making a Gunnery Skill Check roll..." Making it unique as far as I can tell in the D20 system. Now we can argue all day whether "calculating the result as if the character had rolled a 10" (pg. 64 T20) constitutes a "Natural 10" but to me the wording there says that is a Natural 10 to me. The problem is using a skill check to attack is apparently unique to T20 and only to gunnery.

I did forget about the concept of Magical Weapons, not having played D&D under these rules, (I last played AD&D back when EGG still owned TSR.) I hope you will excuse me on that oversight, but it still isn't a roll that you can Take 10 on because it isn't a skill roll.

Originally posted by Aramis:
One other thing: in the playtest drafts, it clearly said "Gunnery Attack Roll" before the formula.

That is missing in the final version.

T20 defines DC+10 or higher as a Great Success DC+20 as an Incredible Success. (Pg. 63) As far as Gunnery goes unless you are shooting at a High Agility, High AF fighter it is fairly easy to accomplish an Incredible Success with a typical Capital Ship and an "average" crew especially with a spinal mount.

Originally posted by Aramis:
You are correct that attack rolls aren't skill rolls.

Skill rolls become "exceptional success" by making DC+20. (3.0 CRI p 61) So, unless the Skill is at least diff+10, taking 10 DOESN'T crit a SKILL ROLL.

Back