• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The 200 ton Yacht design contest!

re two jump drives.

ANNIC NOVA almost predated Traveller, so the AN with its two-jump-drive-thing was probably an early experiment of the edges of Book 2 ship design. Presumably you can do two back-to-back jumps if you had to, giving you tremendous legs for a "trader".

Then Marc as usual takes these edge cases and uses them for new edge cases.
The thing is, it was an obsoleted edge case. Necessary under the 1977 rules to get 5 parsecs -- but not 6 -- total range. Under 1980/81 rules it could have had a single J3 drive and 5 parsecs "fuel".
Perhaps you can "buy" them "charged" at the starport. Mounted on a grappled pod hull to bypass installation times.

Probably effective at scale with time-sensitive payloads. A clipper perhaps.
It's not just time-sensitive payloads, it's eliminating non-revenue-generating downtime on the rest of the ship.

Jump Governors are different things in CT and T5. In CT they control fuel usage, but in T5 they control possible jump length.

Wait. T5 went back to 1977 rules and a full fuel burn regardless of actual jump length?

Well, not quite. For "precocious" tech (early, prototype, experimental), you can only do exactly the rated jump number (at full fuel requirement), but can stop short by bumping into an intervening planet or something.

Hey, this collector discussion really ought to have its own thread.

How about here? General Collector Discussion

Last edited:
The thing is, it was an obsoleted edge case. Necessary under the 1977 rules to get 5 parsecs -- but not 6 -- total range. Under 1980/81 rules it could have had a single J3 drive and 5 parsecs "fuel".

It would be much simpler and cheaper to carry a J-3 drive with fuel for two jumps. It would give you anything up to 6 Pc range with two jumps.

re two jump drives.

ANNIC NOVA almost predated Traveller, so the AN with its two-jump-drive-thing was probably an early experiment of the edges of Book 2 ship design.

Remember that at some point, Marc came up with (or maybe retconned) the idea that the two Jump drives on the AN were designed to be capable of being used in tandem to make a second-order Jump of one drive to the power of the other. J-2 could be raised to the power of 3, yielding ("up to" as my ISP likes to say) an 8-parsec Jump, or else the J-3 could be raised to the power of 2, yielding a maximum of a 9-parsec Jump.

Either way, the J-fuel requirement would have to be waived to pull such trips off.

So it is kind of a moot case here, I reckon.

I think this was meant to be a one off.

An ancient artifact that allows you to traverse warpspace without massive fuel use.

Plot hole is that the Imperium doesn't immediately confiscate it upon learning of it's existence and confine it at in Area Fifty One.

So, are there any results from the contest (aside from a bunch of interesting designs)?

GUIDELINES

1. It must displace 200 tons.
2. It must follow (any) published design system -- even a non-Traveller one.
3. It must differ from the published 200t Yacht that we all know and dislike.
4. Add a descriptive paragraph if you want to explain your design intent.
5. Extra points if it's Jump-1, Maneuver-1.

Design a 200 ton Yacht the way you think it should be designed.

I will rate designs with a point value. And: the points don't matter.

Here is the link to my submission for this contest.

:alpha: Spinward Yacht

As I am new here, and the linked design is literally my first 8 posts on the subject (once moderator approval has been granted so everyone can see them) ... I apologize for the delay in being able to complete my submission for this contest.

I decided to post my design in its own thread so as to not clutter up this one (since 8 posts in a row on a single ship design might be considered ... excessive verbosity).

Was there at last any winner of the contest?

(And just to be clear, I don't expect mine to be, as I gave up the points for J1/M1)

Was there at last any winner of the contest?

(And just to be clear, I don't expect mine to be, as I gave up the points for J1/M1)

Thank you for that. I've compiled scores in the initial post.

With an unfair advantage, I present my Yacht, the Canopic Sunrise.

Yacht Y-BL11 Canopic Sunrise MCr114.8

Using a 200-ton, TL15 hull, the Canopic Sunrise mounts jump drive-A, maneuver drive-A, and power plant-A, giving a performance of jump-1 and 1G acceleration. Fuel tankage supports 2 months of operations. A Collector supports the jump drive. Attached to the bridge is a Computer Model/4. There are 8 crew staterooms and 8 high-passage staterooms. There is one T2 Beam Laser. Cargo capacity is 5 tons. The ship has an aerodynamic lift body hull.

Carried craft include 1 Gig, and 1 Grav Speeder. The ship requires four crew: Pilot, Astrogator, Engineer, and Medic. Up to four additional crew can be hired as stewards, though all crew members should have training as footman, valet, or butler. A gunner may also be hired. The pilot operates the gig.

The ship can carry 8 high passengers.

Actual volume: 195 tons
Crew comfort: +0
Passenger demand: +2

Code:
   Tons     Component                                MCr    Notes
-------     -----------------------------------    -----    --------------------
    200     Lift body Hull, lifters, 2 a/l free       28    L, lifters, 2 a/l free
      2     Landing legs with pads                     2   
      0     AV=30. 1 Rad Charged                       0   
      0     Jump Fuel (0  parsec)                      0    0 parsec jump, at 20t per parsec
      4     Plant Fuel (2 months)                      0    2 months
      2     Maneuver Drive-1 (A)                       4    1 G
     10     Jump Drive-1 (A)                          10    J 1
      4     PowerPlant-1 (A)                           4    P 1
     20     Collector-1 (A)                           10    1 C
      0     LR Surf Basic C-E-N-T                     10   
      1     Vd T2 Beam Laser                           1   
      2     2x Life Support Luxury                     2    #2 4 high passengers
      1     Life Support Standard                      1    21 people
      2     Clinic                                     1   
      4     Computer Model/4                          18   
     12     Spacious Bridge                          0.6    1cc 4op 1ws
     34     2x Crew Cluster                          1.8    #2 4 + common + fresher
      5     Cargo Hold Basic                           0   
     48     2x Luxury Cluster                        3.2    #2 4 high + freshers
      8     2x Passenger Commons                       0    #2
     20     Gig                                       18    m2 B C
     10     Hangar Lock                                0   
      6     Grav Speeder                             0.2

There is one perfect score -- Spinward Yacht. It's got everything I wanted in a design.

I told you I got cranky and subjective. I will say that yours has a lot of promise. The name alone sets high expectations.

I was calculating out a forty year mortgage at five percent for a thirteen million credit starship, and I came up with a tad of four hundred eighty payments of a tad under sixty thousand credits each.

So it occurs to me, how do we pay for them?

I was calculating out a forty year mortgage at five percent for a thirteen million credit starship, and I came up with a tad of four hundred eighty payments of a tad under sixty thousand credits each.

So it occurs to me, how do we pay for them?
First off, nobles wouldn't do plebian financing anyway. They pay cash.

Second, if say a financed commercial pleasure cruise craft went by chartering, it would need 5 paying high passage per month plus steward plus crew.

Not sure how capable a 13 million credit ship could be though.

It's about as cheap as I could make one under the current Mongosian design rules.

Probably the reason most starships are over forty years old.

I think it's straight line depreciation minus scrap value, though useful life can be disputed.

There should be a very active market for refurbished jump drives and parts.

Bit late to the game ...

Lady of Urntiaria Class Yacht

Designed by Ewan Quibell (MT)

CraftID:​
Yacht, Type Y, TL10, Cr 83,923,905
Hull:​
180/450, Disp=200, Config=1SL, Armour=40E, Unloaded=2011.454 tons, Loaded=2141.4704 tons
Power:​
9/18, Fusion=792 Mw, Duration=30/90
Loco:​
9/18, Manoeuvre=2 Std Grav, 4/8, Jump=1, NOE=140kph, Cruise=750 kph, Top=1,000 kph, Agility=0
Comm:​
Radio=System x1, Laser=System, Maser=System
Sensors:​
Active EMS=FarOrbit, Passive EMS=Interstellar, Headlights x6
ActObjScan=Rout, ActObjPin=Rout, PasObjScan=Form, PasEngScan=Rout
Off:​
Hardpoints=2
Def:​
DefDM=+4
Control:​
Computer=3 x3, Panel=Dynamic link x22, Special=HeadsUp display x5, Environ=basic env, basic ls, extend ls, grav plates, inertial compensators,
Accom:​
Crew=5, (Bridge=2, Engineer=1, Steward=1, Medical=1),
Staterooms= Standard x8, Small x5, Double x1
SubCraft=30 ton Ship’s Boat, Speeder (4 ton craft)
Air Lock
Other:​
Cargo=72.258 kliters, Fuel=285.54 kliters (2x Jump 1 + 30 days)
Fuel Purification Plant (24 hrs), ObjSize=Average,
Fuel Scoops (fill tanks in 92 minutes), EmLevel=None,
Comment:​
Construction Time=48 weeks single, 36 weeks multiple
Price excludes ship’s boat and speeder
Cost in Quantity=Cr 67,139,124

The Lady of Urntiaria Class Yacht was designed in 760 for Lady Helen Urntiaria, Baroness Darnikki wife of Baron Darnikki in order that she could travel in comfort to Darnikki system to accompany her husband on business. The advent of grav plating and inertial compensators makes space travel far more accessible as a “normal” environment can be maintained and thus luxurious quarters can be provided. Even though the design is now over 160 years old it is still being built when ordered as it turns out it is optimal for its intended purpose. As each ship is a commission the interior is as customisable to the owners requirements within the limits of the standard and double staterooms, the vehicle bays, and the excess power provided by the power plant.

The minimum crew of Pilot, Navigator and Engineer and augmented by a Steward and Doctor in order to ensure that the needs of the owner are satisfied. The Doctor usually doubles up as an additional Steward as the need arises. One of the Bridge crew usually flies the Ship’s Boat.

There are 16 known examples of the yacht that have been built to date mostly for the Noble houses of Home County however there are a few that are owned and operated by the larger corporations.

Number Name Laid Down First Flight Builder

Y-10001 Lady of Urntiaria 760-067 762-040 Walisak Yards (Home)
Y-10002 Lady Hiilman 768-179 770-147 Walisak Yards (Home)
Y-10003 Lady Daud 777-246 779-190 Walisak Yards (Home)
Y-10004 Lady Searle 778-325 780-268 Walisak Yards (Home)
Y-10005 Lady Ogen 778-360 779-300 Walisak Yards (Home)
Y-10016 Spirit of Urntiaria 922-200 - Walisak Yards (Home)

Like all grav powered craft the G rating halves to 1G past 10 diameters of any planetary body.
The 5.3 tons of cargo space is used primarily for passenger baggage or for life-support equipment and food.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back