• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

This Forum

I have personally never minded the virus, the office photocopier and laser printer I work with are both infected with a version. Basically what I did in order to avoid canon running over the actions that GM and players carried out I simply based the players well away from either the RC or Regency. This did not stop me making use of items from either group. Though I never quite came up with how to acquire a RC Clipper. Our navy had already acquired the Annic Nova.

The sector I chose was close enough to Solomani and Imperial space to have interactions with virtually all the major races apart from Kkree, while allowing the players the freedom to change the future without colliding with canon.

The concept here is advancement of the OTU, not the TNE rules system. The book will be systemless; a setting for Traveller of any flavour and rules set.

Although I am a MT gamer and stick to Rebellion/Hard Times eras, I do find the published TNE material of very high quality.

I own all of the published GDW TNE material and I have used the material to enhance my gaming even though I stick to MT rules.

Survial Margin is an excellent reference for the Rebellion and Hard Times. I also have used Striker II, World Tamers, Rengency Sourcebook and Equipment Guide, and Battle Rider regularly in MT gaming. All the other TNE titles less often, but still refeferred to.

My group and I never took to the TNE game mechanics and setting. This is not to say I think it is not good, but MT suited us well and we enjoyed the Rebellion period.

I have no reservations about Virus or questions about its realism. I took it as a futuristic plot device that was part of the setting.

Even though I favor MT, I would be willing to play a TNE game, but I am not in contact with any groups that play the game.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MJD:
How would you feel about a non-rules-specific TNE supplement that moved the timeline forward say 50 years?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<Goon> I RESIGN! YOU CANT TALK TO ME LIKE THAT! </GOON> :confused

Personally, I am not so sure that I would like to see the TNE background advanced any more. If anything, something like a better collapse scenerio , more in tune with Gibbons Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire amd the Foundation Empire, where the death rattles lasted centuries, since this is the major sources of the TNE timeline.

Also, something has to be done about the Empress Wave. If what I sw is correct, having the TNE timeline reset within your 50 year timeframe does not leave much campaign growth (especially in the Marches).

Then again, Traveller is not the Imperium, even TNE tried to remind us of this. If the T20 ruleset is strong enough, what is to stop players going back to the days of the LBB and designing their own galactic empires (I know I did).

I do like to hear from Dave Nielsen what he had in mind in TNE however.

------------------
SOLSEC makes Echelon look like a joke!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NightrimTNE:
I agree here, but I never allowed the canon events to influnce events which we'd already laid out as having gone awry the first time thanks to the players interaction. Plus, lets face it the same was true of CT and MT. If your people were in 1234 Diaspora at date X and they blew something up that in your universe changed the whole ballance of power and suddenlty two weeks later a challange magazine came out with Infonet reports that contridicted what you'd already laid out did you simply go back and say to your characters. "No, that didn't happen the way we played it out, apparenlty the Solomani nerve gassed the whole planet and you're all dead. Time to re roll characters." I think not.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to quibble too much -- of course you're right -- but to me it's a matter of degrees. In CT (and, to a lesser extent, MT) the universe was so large and there were so many mutually-independent storylines developing simultaneously that it was easy to ignore/change certain details while still remaining within the greater framework of the OTU. For instance, a CT game set in Solomani Rim would likely begin differing from OTU canon FOR THAT AREA over time, but the other 34+ Sectors could carry on unchanged. In TNE, by tying all official material into one storyline (well, two sub-stories that we can assume were eventually intended to intersect), the potential canon-conflicts were more immediate, and their potential repurcussions more dramatic.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The problem with a game company unfolding the campaign to early is players go out and buy the same things that GM's do which means that essentially nothing is a surprise to the players unless you happen to have that rare individual in the game who actually doesn't rush out and get the sames stuff as his or her GM.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe I've grown naive in my old age, but I have more trust in my player-group than that. Sure, at one time back when we were all in Jr. High I had a problem with my players reading D&D adventures behind my back, but once they grew up and realized that it was more fun to play the game honestly all of that stopped (or maybe it's just that the books got more expensive).

Of course, this also comes down to a fundamental difference of opinion I have with Dave Nilsen (one of many). He went on record many times stating that the Ancients were 'killed' by having too much published about them, and that (by inference) he wasn't going to let that happen again. I always disagreed very much with that stance: as a GM, I LIKED having Twilight's Peak and Adventure 12 and the Droyne alien module telling me 'the whole story' which I could then decide to implement or not in my campaign as I chose to. YMM(and probably does)V

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>If you let out the plotline to early what's the point in playing the game. If CT came out and say oh by the way in 15 years game time the Emperor will be assassinated and we're going to release a new game at that time and while we're at it here's every major event that's going to occure over those fifteen years. Would you have bothered attempting to create a game with any kind of flavor? Probably not.

If when MegaTraveller came out they told you, oh in thirteen years game time we're going to release a super weapon that's going to destroy they whole Imperium and here's exactly what's going to happen. You probably wouldn't bother buying the game once you heard this.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure these examples really fit since, after all, both were explicitly deus ex machinae intended to dramatically alter the settings and 're-launch' the game. And, for what it's worth, I'm also not too crazy about either change. I would have prefered something closer to the approach we're getting nowadays with 'multiple official timelines' -- when MT came out, all official support for CT stopped, same for MT when TNE came out, as if we were all supposed to drop our campaigns and re-start in the new settings. I'd much rather (economically unrealistic though it may be) have seen all three timelines/settings continue to be supported/developed simultaneously.

A more suitable example (not to put words in your mouth...) would be the Fifth Frontier War. I'm willing to admit that if in JTAS #9 there'd been a sidebar explaining how the war was going to end in the OTU four years later, that would've been lame and anti-dramatic, but it goes back to the point I made way up at the top of this post -- it's a matter of scale. Prior to TNE, the meta-narrative events were far enough removed from the day-to-day lives of the PC group that they typically didn't interfere with individual campaigns, whereas in TNE the Big Picture meta-narrative structure of the campaign essentially WAS the day-to-day lives of the PC group, and the withholding of the larger campaign-structure became less like GDW not telling us how the Fifth Frontier War was going to end and more like if The Traveller Adventure had been published in a half-dozen separate volumes with the full extent of the Tukera-Vargr plot not explained until the last volume (or even possibly, considering DN's 'Ancients' comments, not explained at all).

Anyway, I'm clearly rambling too. The tight structure of the TNE campaign was a deliberate decision by Dave Nilsen and many of the things that I've pointed out as its weaknesses are precisely what he would point out as its strengths. What it comes down to is that I don't agree with the decisions he made or the reasons behind them -- IMO sweeping dramatic and mysterious plots are fine for fiction, for big whopping adventure supplements (The Traveller Adventure), and even for extended series of adventures (Ancients Saga, Sky Raiders), but on the scale of the Entire OTU Setting I still greatly prefer the Big Universe approach of CT.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I agree with you though, the possibility for confict with the offical storyline is much more likely the smaller your universe. That's a risk that I feel is worth taking because of the amount of story depth and background colour that you can work in with a smaller universe.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, it's a fundamental difference of opinion. I like the universe big enough that no single story could possibly effect the whole thing -- and the freedom that provides to me as an individual GM -- at the expense of decreased drama and players' sense of importance. Dave Nilsen (and, presumably, you) feel more-or-less the opposite. I wonder if there's a compromise in there -- perhaps a series of novels followed by a large-scale overview sourcebook? Hmm, I think I've heard that suggestion before. Martin?

The concept here is advancement of the OTU, not the TNE rules system. The book will be systemless; a setting for Traveller of any flavour and rules set.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't do better than that!! I hope you will incorporate some the great work by Harold Hale and his Children of Earth series.

Warning - Rant ahead.....

I played and bought all the TNE stuff except the Regency book - I played CT as a child and then ran an MT campaign for its entire existence. Just as Hard Times looked like being a politically intriguing campaign (Balkanised just like Earth today)GDW launched it deus ex machina in the form of the virus and suddenly we were in a different world.

What was wrong?
(1)the players had to give up their beloved characters - which after 5 odd years was too much.
(2) TNE was too damn militaristic - two of my players were Royal Marines and even they didn't like the barracks room jingoism of the RCES. They much preferred the freelancer feel of CT or MT.
(3)the published adventures (which unlike MT were actually quite plentiful, even if they were just T2000 scenarios transposed to Traveller)were just too deterministic.

For example, the one where the players go and kill a Droyne-mutated virus was the final straw - my players wanted to keep it running and said it was doing a service to the planet and so wouldn't kill it! The adventure considered this possibility but offered no advice except that the players may have a moral dilemma. It also conveniently forgot the canon = Droyne have the psionic skill of invisibility - how in reality could 6 players armed with low tech ACR's and sub Imperial battledress take on 15 FGMP armed invisible Droyne?

So I developed the New Terran Confederation - a pocket empire based on the OTU historical Terran Confederation. In this universe Joshua Davin had brought Cymbeline chips back to Terra and the Pan-sophontists had gain supremacy over all over Solomani factions. This meant that when virus came to earth, the Cymbeline chips and the terrans were one step ahead. This left a pocket of civilization in the midst of the barren Rim - in other words, it was just like a small spinward marches.

Players were happy, but I had to put too much work in just as I had law exams, so the game folded (like GDW)!
(I know, you all are yawning by now, sorry)

The moral of this story
(1) write sourcebooks and adventures that allow a full range of responses and cater for a full range of players.

(2) Don't let the metanarrative kill the fun of the game and preferably have more than one person designing the universe so that it does not become Dave Nielsen's Traveller.

I more or less stopped following the official Traveller universe when TNE came out. At that time the rule book was the only book I bought of the TNE line. So I'm not overly familiar with the meta-plotlines of TNE nor the policies of Mr. Nielsen.

I absolutely hated the Virus, but liked the lower tech feel of TNE. However, TNE got even more towards military sci-fi than CT/MT and narrowed the adventure types possible. The whole "Twilight:2000 in outer space" theme did not inspire me. These issues coupled with a rules system I didn't like made me forget TNE quite quickly and continue using MT.

Well, years have passed and nowdays TNE does not make me feel as ill as it used to. In fact, I've used a lot of material from TNE - HEPlaR drives, contra-grav (as opposed to antigrav in MT), etc. I like the smaller universe approach to some extent, however, I still don't like the Virus nor the Twilight approach.

Nevertheless, I would like to see a sourcebook set 50 years (or even more) beyond that what happened in TNE. Heck, I'd like to see any new Traveller book...

PS. Would you explain to a former TNE ignorant what the Empress Wave is/was?

TNE was published in a time I have gave up playing RPG games. As such, I was kind of ignorant about it. Recently, I have the oportunity to read a few TNE books and I even have the Regency Sourcebook. I will not further comment what many others have said, but I did not like the way that timeline was advanced. I found the Star Vikings too much militaristic to my tastes, kind of T2000 in space. However, I enjoyed the Regency Sourcebook. I found it pretty good, and even brought it. However, a few points like rewriting canon, as in the case of the Darrian TL16 fleet, annoyed me a little bit.

Quite frankly, I don´t care for a TNE sourcebook, but I suport the idea that Traveller should move forward in time. I don't like the idea to play in the previous point of the timeline, such as T4 or the upcomming T20. I think that new books should go forward in time and bring Traveller back to the Far Future.

Ron

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TJP:
However, TNE got even more towards military sci-fi than CT/MT and narrowed the adventure types possible. The whole "Twilight:2000 in outer space" theme did not inspire me]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This always bothers me - TW2K was always about playing in the fall of civilisation, about surviving, whereas TNE was like Aftermath - playing the rebuilding of civilisation.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>
Nevertheless, I would like to see a sourcebook set 50 years (or even more) beyond that what happened in TNE. Heck, I'd like to see any new Traveller book...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As would I.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NightrimTNE:

As for the Rebellion, it had to end the way it ended. It is a factional universe where the good guys always triumph over evil in the end. Why? Don't ask that's just the way it works, bittersweet endings don't go over well here in North America. To that end we have to look at our contenders for the throne.

Margaret = Genocidal woman with eyes for the throne only when the snakes whisper their promises in her ear. (Can't have her she's a weak willed nutcase)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's worth noting that much of Margaret's evil (the slaving and geonocide) came out very late in MT's time. Late enough that I suspect she was intentionally made unacceptable to ensure that none of the major players deserved to win. OTOH even without this who wants the only acceptable new Emperoress to be a bean-counter in the clutches of a mega-corp intell-and-dirty-tricks crew?

Personally, I never picked up any TNE books after looking in the rulebook and seeing the way the game system had changed, going to a T2000-based system. While I had played T2000, I hadn't been enamored of the system, it didn't work for me particularly well.

The Virus I could never believe; to me, a consequence of the Imperium requiring such a transponder in it's ships would have been that the Vargr and the K'Kree would have met somewhere in the midst of the ruins of the Imperium, as the Aslan and the Solomani expanded and met as well. The Hivers would have remained as they were, the Zhodani would have reached an accommodation with Norris (without the Imperium to back him, there's no threat there).
The other nations would not adopt such a transponder for more than ships that operate in cross-border trade, the Virus simply wouldn't affect them much, while it would devastate the Imperium. All four of the adjoining powers have reasons to want to invade, so they would do so. Ergo, result is the invasion and destruction of the Fourth Imperium.

That's assuming that such an idea was actually carried out. Because of the above, that strikes me as unlikely. Anyone could see that the other powers would not adopt something that they didn't need to, and the Virus-laden systems were something they didn't need. If they didn't adopt them, they wouldn't be affected by it's activation, and if they're not affected, the result is that they're not crippled while you are. If Lucan could have activated ONLY Dulinor's Virus-infected systems, that would have been useful: he could have crushed Dulinor's rebellion directly, then threatened the Ziru Sirka and Margaret and brought the rest to heel easily. He couldn't do that, apparently it was an all or nothing thing. And to me, that, given the attitudes of the Imperium's neighbors other than the Hivers and the Zhodani, means that it's a useless weapon, a weapon that's not even worth investing development money in, let alone deploying.

StrikerFan

There are answers.

But no Jedi.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Did I stumble on to the Star Wars thread or what. How can Traveller players want Jedi?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kafka47:
Originally posted by MJD:
There are answers.

But no Jedi.

Did I stumble on to the Star Wars thread or what. How can Traveller players want Jedi?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, you quoted the 'no Jedi' response to a message that was posted by solar_shipping *above* the Jedi comment.

"PS Have Dave Nielson ever explained the Empress Wave...the stuff I heard made TNE look like a transitory setting at most, with a PSIONIC Jedi Knight feel campaign after the wave hits..."

So, there are answers to the questions (re:Empress Wave), but no plans for psionic Jedi knights. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

------------------
Joe Brown

[This message has been edited by Fulacin Highport (edited 17 September 2001).]

Dave's GDW materials made it clear that the New Era was what came AFTER the Recovery period in which the game was set. That is still true.

BUT please disregard anmy references to wandering psionic knights. There are no Jedi.

How would you feel about a non-rules-specific TNE supplement that moved the timeline forward say 50 years?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I can't possible think you suggested the idea without some prior consent by Marc Miller and, possible, from some publisher like RPG Realms. So, any chance this project may be approved?

Also, I would love to known your ideas about TNE+50.

Ron

"Well, I can't possible think you suggested the idea without some prior consent by Marc Miller and, possible, from some publisher like RPG Realms. So, any chance this project may be approved?"

I can't confirm nor deny anything at this point. But as a Traveller fan I'd say that your two points make sense... draw whatever conclusions you feel like.

(Chuckles)
MJD

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by StrikerFan:
The other nations would not adopt such a transponder for more than ships that operate in cross-border trade, the Virus simply wouldn't affect them much, while it would devastate the Imperium. All four of the adjoining powers have reasons to want to invade, so they would do so. Ergo, result is the invasion and destruction of the Fourth Imperium.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The way that it's written in "Survival Margin" is that all ships operating within Imperial borders were required to carry the Imperial transponder chips, or else be percieved as hostile. Rather than carrying two sets of transponder systems (Imperial and national) Aslan, Vargr, etc. just adopted the Imperial version.

As for the idea non-Imperial states working together against the Imperium because of this
requirement, it's not likely to happen. There's just no way that they're going to cooperate. The Solomani and Aslan don't get along that well. The K'kree hate anyone who isn't a vegetarian. The Vargr are so balkaninzed that they're more likely to fight amongst themselves trying to decide who should lead the charge.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by StrikerFan:
That's assuming that such an idea was actually carried out. Because of the above, that strikes me as unlikely. Anyone could see that the other powers would not adopt something that they didn't need to,
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But they did, because they wanted to do business with the Imperium.

Back