• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Trade outposts & Starports.

Said "flat area of land" needs to be able to support the weight of incoming starships. And if you use HEPlaR, then that area better be able to handle the heat as well.

So plain ol' dirt ain't gonna cut it.

You'll need bedrock. Or if your civilization is advanced enough, I think that plascrete was an acceptable substitute, though I could be wrong.

DED is RIGHT, for heated HEPlaR lift-offs like TNE uses, a cement/ plascrete/ foam-steel runway/ landing pad a must. Without these, bedrock will do. With a blast wall berm! :eek: ;) .

The description of the E-class port in T20's Cold Fusion gives an excellent description of one cut out of native rock, with landing pits dug into the surface for ships 100-600dtns.

DED types:
You'll need bedrock. Or if your civilization is advanced enough, I []think[/i] that plascrete was an acceptable substitute, though I could be wrong.
I'll go along with that.
Two more questions:
So how many barrels of plascrete will I need for a 100 ft diameter pad?

How many barrels of plascrete will I need if I want to replicate the landing pad in DA2 Mission to Mithril?

What size barrels?
A wheel barrow of cement will make a patch 1 yard sq by about 2 inches. (Guess who been putting a sidewalk for 3+years)
What is the weight of plascrete?
Do just add water like quickcrete cement?

A thought about bedrock: how cold is your world? What is the "bedrock" composed of?

I'm getting some nasty visions of "rock" with a high proportion for frozen carbon dioxide or something of the sort.

Originally posted by plop101:
So how many barrels of plascrete will I need for a 100 ft diameter pad?

How many barrels of plascrete will I need if I want to replicate the landing pad in DA2 Mission to Mithril?
I don't know of any canonical definitions of how plascrete is used. I do know it's supposed to be superior to concrete. Follow Jasper's suggestions (though think in terms of 50 lb bags instead of wheel barrows) for materials required or do a search on the web for concrete. Or, visit your local hardware superstore and read the directions on the back of the bag. I'm fresh out of concrete right now. ;)

Well, it looks like a non-hub airport runway is up to 30cm thick (12in) while hub airport runways are up to 45cm thick (18in).

This doesn't include surface prep, just the concrete.

Depending on anticipated traffic and lifetime of the surface (more and/or heavier traffic = shorter life and/or thicker surface).

So a 30m (100ft) pad of 15cm (6in) might serve as a non-hub (light) class C or class D) Downport Pad (presuming double the durability and strength of modern concrete for plascrete and suitable for ships). You'll need about 33.75m3 (about 2.5dT) for the pad. I think.

Surface prep usually involves digging down to undisturbed soils and filling and compacting with various aggregates (rocks). Last I saw of such they dug down about 1.5m (5ft) and then filled that in several layers. Figure on 5x your plascrete thickness for the depth of surface prep, though if you're lucky you may have a good surface as is (more or less, like a bedrock outcropping with little or no soil and vegetation) or you could have the fill handy to your site. Otherwise you may be hauling that in too.

Enough detail yet? (it is just a game ;) )

DED writes:
I don't know of any canonical definitions of how plascrete is used.
Plascrete is mentioned in the T4 Central Supply Catalog, Pg40; it mentions that a barrel of plascrete come in 250liter/500kg size dry.

Jasper asks:
Do just add water like quickcrete cement?
The article mentions using a eletrical charge that makes a slurry solid, or some such thing.

The T4 article mentions how it is used generally, but is not specific on the 'how to' uses for port construction. Maybe I've missed something there, but I can't find it.

On top of this, in the back of CSC in the vehicle section is something called 'structure comp' in the armor section, but plascrete is not mentioned in the same section. :confused:

I'm not sure of any TNE listings of Plascrete, unless theres something in the World Builders Book, which I don't have, Yet...

Just read Far Traders post...

craming all this stuff into my scout ship (old CT) is going to be interesting. I have visions of a Type S at the "MONSTER GARAGE" shop. :eek:

Maybe instead of trying to build a Class E port I should just go for Ye OLDE Moon Landing Site.

Morning plop101,

I could see it working. You have the 3dT hold, good for the 2.5dT of Plascrete and that leaves 0.5dT for the beacon shack, a small building containing the basic electronics and a small powerplant and fuel tank. Maybe with the option for a larger fuel tank, using some of the Plascrete to form it under the pad.

And you swap out the air-raft for a more useful small earth mover to push and carry stuff around, and install a mining laser in the turret to do the bulk of terrain leveling and blasting.

Sounds like a good job for those Detached Duty jobs. Either building a basic pad or doing maintenance on those already out there.

Swapping out the beacon shack for a few modules (maybe 5 repairs) to upgrade/replace the electronics and the Plascrete is used for patching (again 5 repairs).

So you get a list of 5 pads to visit and inspect and make any needed repairs. Keeping the Scout busy for several months. Figure a couple weeks per pad, working solo, half that with help.

Or you get to go out and put down a whloe new pad*. That should take maybe 10 weeks, again half with help.

* not neccessarily a new location, the old one could have been obliterated by some disaster (natural or other), which may be a good adventure hook ;)

None of this is including travel time of course, or in the field complications ;)

And of course you're going to have to stuff the unused staterooms with life support and supplies for the extended mission* or arrange drops, yet another good assignment for those DD boys and girls. I always figured they should be exploited, er, kept more involved ;)

* the 4 staterooms would give you up to 16 person weeks if fully charged (life support x16, paid for by the Service of course). So a crew of 1 would have 6 weeks of travel and 10 weeks of work. A crew of two could do the work in 5 weeks leaving them 3 weeks of travel time. The empty stateroom volume would give you room (about 3dT at 1dT per unoccupied stateroom) for some other gear and/or more life support/supplies.

Been cruising the web for various details on the subject...

Far Trader, from an earlier post:
Well, it looks like a non-hub airport runway is up to 30cm thick (12in) while hub airport runways are up to 45cm thick (18in).

This doesn't include surface prep, just the concrete.
I found this here:
Shuttle Landing Facility

The concrete for the shuttle runway is 15-16 inches thick with a 6 inch base underneath.

Mo from FT:
Enough detail yet? (it is just a game
Most of the time, I go skimpy on the detail, but on rare occasions I feel the need to gearhead to the Nth degree. This may be one of those times.

Back