• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Useful Derlicts

Cowabunga! RichardP, yer a genius, ya know?
Likes the mining GG station. Mass driven container pods of products! Watch out & make that sensor roll! Good stuff :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

So far they look interesting, although I'm not familiar enough with station/ship design to really comment. I'll look closely at your designs and pick out what I can, though. Thanks!

There are really no rules for space stations in High Guard or FF&S. They were designed for making ships and warships at that.

I used a 1% mdrive giving 0.5G for orbital adjustment. I gave them 3 service crew per 1000tns. I used the various GURPS modules for internal elements such as swimming pools, gyms etc. I put in what I though would be used / nice / necessary to keep the people happy - especially if they are on 1-2month shifts. Thats why workers have large staterooms. The GURPS cutter book and starport books are best for these modules. The mass driver I extrapolated from the good old LSP mining platform.

The industrial units are from the TNE world Tamers HandBook. That has 20 raw material units = 1 dtn, whilst capital machinery is 4000cr / dtn which i have used for the space required, and for the space required for the finished products. I gave most of these stations space for 1 months supplies and output. I have done a couple of high capacity versions with stores for a week or a day, and the output shoots up dramitically. These stations would need to be in orbit around the mainworld to ensure supplies of raw materials and removal of finished good.

The GURPS starport book is good, but is for large ports 600ktns+ and uses a lot of trade data to generate them.

Cheers
Richard

A useful derelict is one that is fully fueled, fully powered and has the simplest possible manual - and no Virus or owners!

Just for a simple "derelict" storyline, my PC's (way back in the early 90's) went out to neighbouring deadworlds and collected satellites. Yeah, satellites.

Every so often a derelict vessel would be found, and adventure would ensue. But they made some good cred off the satellite recoveries.

^ I like that idea (consider it stolen!). My players for a while were researching war records and then visiting the sites of space battles, salvaging the equipment from the derelicts, and using the parts to build Q-ships from old freighters. It became a great way to exercise little used non-combat skills. Second, it taught the players some important lessons about stealth, dealing with underworld figures, and the necessity to be on your toes all the time!

Even for my players now, salvage is a relatively easy way for them to gather materials or funds without me having to create an elaborate adventure. I usually just hint at the location of some downed spacecraft and they're off! They tell me what they are bringing, if they want help, and how they're going to find it.

Ran Targas:

"My players for a while were researching war records and then visiting the sites of space battles, salvaging the equipment from the derelicts, and using the parts to build Q-ships from old freighters."

Mr. Targas,

There are no governments about who may consider the wrecks of the warships as war graves?

Just another little obstacle you could throw in the way of your salvage happy PCs!

Sincerely,
Larsen

^ Believe me, Mr. Whipsnade, that is where the stealth and underworld contacts come into play!

Then there was the time that the Imperial battlegroup showed up during a salvage operation to use the hulks for target practice!

Ran Targas wrote:

"Then there was the time that the Imperial battlegroup showed up during a salvage operation to use the hulks for target practice!"

Mr. Targas,

A tip of the battered boater to you sir! You are Truly Evil(tm).

Sincerely,
Larsen

Larsen, you would have enjoyed the arguement over whether to leave the debris field (and face capture) or try to hide behind a big piece. Classic!

Ran Targas wrote:

"Larsen, you would have enjoyed the arguement over whether to leave the debris field (and face capture) or try to hide behind a big piece. Classic!"

Mr. Targas,

Joy! Rapture! You achieved the ultimate goal of all GMs; the PCs interacted amongst themselves rather than pepper the GM with OOC questions and whines. You actually had them role playing instead of roll playing! Woo-hoo!

Sincerely,
Larsen

Liam Devlin wrote:

"welcome back Mr Whipsnade! Good to read your postings again"

Why, thank you sir! A tip of the battered boater right back at ya'!

The surgical expedition through the physical oddity known as my carcass was relatively successful. The medicos were able to retrieve various old license plates and rubber boots. One likened it to an archeological dig at a landfill. In an aside; after reviewing my charts, one doctor strongly suggested that I will my corpse to science FICTION.

Although the rivets and velcro have successfully kept my expnasive tum in place, nothing has really helped the old bank balance. I'm still looking for anyone or anything who may employ a grey-headed, old, fat man with no discernable skills beyond those needed to cadge free drinks at a local saloon.

Sincerely,
Larsen

Back